“Great Escape in the middle of SF!”
Review of Phoenix Hotel SF

Phoenix Hotel SF
Ranked #29 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've been enjoying the Phoenix Hotel for years now even though I only live 15 miles of this hotel. Its the perfect 'staycation' for a long fun night in the city, a birthday gathering or a summer poolside heatwave escape. The Phoenix is a hidden gem in SF. Rock n' Roll meets Tropical Tiki ... all good things! Clean rooms, affordable rates, professional staff from Check-In to Departure, *FREE PARKING* and of course... The always perfectly heated Andy Warhol style pool. This place rocks! Did I mention the free parking?

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fritoboater
There are newer reviews for Phoenix Hotel SF

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and absolutely loved it. The staff on reception were great - full of information and so friendly and helpful too. We had a complimentary upgrade to a suite, which was very much appreciated - the room was immaculately clean and the record player was such a great touch (we are now Jimmy Smith fans!). We loved all the little touches too - the retro postcard, a card for our anniversary, the rubber duck (we brought him home!), etc. The pool was lovely too - really warm even when the weather wasn't great. We ate at Chambers a couple of times too, which was really good - just be aware that although they are adjoined, the hotel and the restaurant feel like quite separate entities. I highly recommend having brunch there at the weekend. The housekeeping team at The Phoenix do a great job - rooms were immaculate and we were not bothered by them once (at other hotels housekeeping woke us up every morning).

Eddy street isn't the best neighbourhood, but the hotel isn't far from Union Square. We did walk all the way along Eddy Street one day, and actually didn't have any trouble at all, but it did feel a bit intimidating.

Overall we felt like valued customers at The Phoenix and I would love to come back again soon.

Room Tip: If you book a suite, you have your living room as a buffer between your bedroom and any noise from C...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have stayed at Hotel Phoenix for at least 8 visits to San Francisco - I love the parking, the ability to walk quickly to ballet, symphony, Union Square, Pier 7, and Fillmore. Staff is unbelievably friendly, you get a warm welcome, reservations are a breeze, and they have lots of tips on where to eat off the beaten path. The Chambers restaurant and bar are happening - great bartenders, staff, and customers. The only place to stay for me!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Marjorie H
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed the weekend before Christmas and had an awesome time even though the weather was hit or miss. The staff were always very nice and helful, letting us have a look at some of the other rooms just for the fun of it. The bed was great and we enjoyed good sleeping. Bar is cool, free parking a big plus. Very cool place overall!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip for a night and I was absolutely 100% satisfied! The ambiance is so eclectic and relaxed. We felt very safe. The other guests all respect one another and are quiet after hours. Everyone that stays there is super cute! I mean attractive people stay at the Phoenix! The staff are accommodating and genuinely want to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
The bar is super posh and they serve fantastic drinks and food! Parking is FREE! They make it work even if you pull in late in the evening and the parking lot is full. There is a corporate discount if you purchase your hotel stay direct from their website. I especially loved the bathroom products they have for quests. It is a CA modern apothecary line called Lather. All in all A+++ The Phoenix!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix_mgmt, Front Office Manager at Phoenix Hotel SF, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Rachel D,

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel is indeed a one-of-a-kind and that resonates with a variety of unique guests who discover us through many avenues of travel and then stay with us year after year. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Absolutely love this place... I have stay here several times. It is my go to place in SF. Yes, it is in the Tenderloin... don't let that scare you. It is very safe there and centrally located. Public transportaion is very convenient. Plus parking is FREE!!! The staff is FABULOUS and very knowledgeable and helpful about SF. They will bend over backwards to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sallie M,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We are indeed on the edge of a gritty downtown neighborhood, but we find our location to be ideal for exploring the great museums, music venues, historical buildings, restaurants, and scenic vista points of San Francisco - and our staff are always more than happy to help guests in the right direction to any destination. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I live _in_ San Francisco, and this is the hotel I recommend to my city savvy friends. For those who can appreciate the juxtaposition of nostalgia and city-chic for a former motor lodge, turned divine hotspot. This is perhaps the Betty White of Hotels, whose charm, and sass just sparkles in the roughness of the TL. Parking (oh blessed parking), cute pool with character, and warm stellar customer service. Friendly, genuine desk people who are "can-do" helpful, not lip-service helpful, but "Oh, you think you left something in your room? I will go IN PERSON to see if I can find it, and give you a call right back." helpful. The welcoming vibe of the staff must be absorbed by osmosis, because it translates into friendly guests who come out into the center courtyard to enjoy the oasis (trees, pool, comfortable seating, umbrellas for shade, if needed) and actually make conversation with OTHER GUESTS (shocking, I know). I have personally stayed here twice, and the decor varies from room to room, but always classy, clean, with just an egde of kitsch. In fact I find the room and people meeting in the courtyard so entertaining, I have not made it to the swanky bar and restaurant, Chambers, but it is on my list; the beautiful people of the city seem to be having a lot of fun there. The Phoenix does our city proud, it embodies our unspoken values- re-purpose, re-cycle, be inclusive, be helpful, BE YOU!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor. Enjoying the courtyard adds to the friendly city experience.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear CharityPC,

While I've never considered us the Betty White of San Francisco Hotels, I will take that as a big compliment. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts and look forward to welcoming you back for your next SF adventure.