“upscale venue in the SF Financial District”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #39 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My first impression of the hotel this trip was that check in was quick, professional, and pleasant, late on a Sunday night even though I had a 'prepaid' room.
The lobby and bar areas are stylish, contemporary, 'hip', and not at all cookie cutter-ish in the way some chain hotels can appear. Maybe their spaces were a little too full with furniture, but overall it was a very good look.
My room featured the same kind of stylish, contemporary, upscale look as the lobby area and it was clean. There was marble/granite used in the largish bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and firm and I had a great night's sleep.
A couple of odd issues that seemed out of place. One had to do with the excessive wear on the easy chair in my room, threads were hanging off of it. Separately, in the elevators, the wood paneling was well worn and in some cases damaged/scratched by misbehavior. They should attend to that.

This was my 3rd stay at this property over 3 years and I liked my stay again at the histel.
As for the location, the hotel is very convenient to the financial district of the city. But the location had no food, reasonably priced or not, available within several blocks on a Sunday night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thanks for the feedback about your recent stay. I am glad you found so many things enjoyable. Thank you for the about the furniture too. We will review this with our housekeeping team.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Two girlfriends and I were coming in to town this weekend to go watch a show Saturday night and after much searching beforehand, we decided the Le Meridien looked like an awesome deal. $160 for Saturday night, great reviews on TA, good location (we love the Ferry Building down the road), on and on.

Before booking, we called and talked to someone at the front desk. We asked if it was possible to get a rollaway in a double room, since we are three grown women and didn't exactly feel like spooning one another in a full size (not queen size) bed after a night out on the town. The front desk agent assured us that rollaways are no problem in double rooms-- we just would have to pay a $25 fee for the convenience of a cot. We explained that our ability to get that third bed is what was going to make us choose them over another property and the agent again assured us that the cot is not a problem in a double room on their property. She even said that because weekends are so slow for them (the Financial District is busy is busy on weekdays, not weekends) , we didn't even need to worry about notating our request on our reservation, because they always had an abundance of rollaways on weekends. Rollaways she assured us are available for double rooms.

I'm sure you can see where this is going. But before we get there:

So, we booked the reservation. Last week, just to be 100% sure that this rollaway thing wasn't an issue, I called *again* to confirm the logisitics here. I spoke to a gentleman at the front desk who promised me it was definitely not a problem. "We put rollaways in double rooms all the time, it's no issue at all! Just pay the extra $25 at check in and you're good to go."

Needless to say, after checking in, we were not good to go. Despite having two completely separate discussions about this issue, weeks apart, with two totally different front desk agents, we were shut down by the unfriendly woman working the front desk Saturday afternoon. I wish I had caught her name, because she is absolutely hands down the most rude, unhelpful front desk agent I've ever encountered (and feel free to check out my TripAdvisor cred, I'm a regular world traveler).

Here's what happened:
Me: "So, we would like to pay the $25 to get the rollaway, since there are 3 of us in the room."
Her: "Mmmm, yeah. . .. we can't do that."
Me: "I'm sorry?"
Her: "I was just thinking about it and, like, we can't put a rollaway in a double room. Fire hazard, you know?"
Me: "Well, we called before booking our reservation and once last we--"
Her: "Yeah, fire hazard."
Me: "Like I was saying, we called two different times and were told it's totally a regular thing here to put a rollaway in a double room, we just have to pay $25 extra."
Her: "Not in a double. Absolutely not. We'll get fined."
Me: "Ok. Well, there are three of us. Are the beds at least queen size?"
Her "Mmm, nope. Full."
Me: "We booked this property with the understanding that the rooms had queen size beds *and* we could get a rollaway."
Her: "Sorry."
Me: "Ok. Is there anything we can do here? Something we can work out?"
Her "I guess we could send you some palettes, so you could make a bed on the floor. It's what we do when people bring kids."
Me: "The floor? Your solution is seriously that we sleep on the floor?"
Her: "Sorry, fire hazard."

Let's ignore the fact that the above literally makes no sense. There can't be a cot, but we can have a bed on the floor. . . just not on wheels. Ok.

Beyond that though, what was incredibly frustrating about that interaction (aside from the agent's frankly snotty, almost mocking tone) is that I flat out tried to figure out a way we could work something out. Maybe we have to pay a little extra and upgrade to a bigger room, I don't know. I've stayed at tons of hotels all over the world and this is the first time that a front desk agent refused to offer a solution to the problem. Heck, even if there wasn't anything she could do, surely she could offer us a free drink or something just to say sorry for the mixup-- and at least that way we could be a little liquored up for our spoonfest in a freaking full size bed.

Anyway, that whole interaction left a real bad taste in my mouth. One of my friends who had been standing there at the start of the interaction had to walk away, because she was so incredibly frustrated by that unprofessional woman's tone.

The hotel itself has a great location. The lobby is modern and well appointed. The elevators were incredibly slow. . . while there was a bank of 4, only one appeared to be running. After arriving back Saturday night from the show, we literally had to wait 15 minutes for the elevator--- two groups had to go up ahead of us, then we had to wait for it to come all the way back down. This was extra fun when the two young guys in front of us had apparently smoked the entire city's stock pile of weed outside, stinking up the entire elevator bank.

The rooms are well-sized with comfortable beds, good linens, and lots of natural light. I will say that our bedskirt had pretty vile looking white stains in parts (white stains along a bed skirt, super lovely!), but we were too exhausted to try to battle the front desk on anything else. The bathroom outlets also had cracks in the wall around them, one near the floor even had big holes. Didn't try the TV, WIFI, or anything else. Our friends who were also staying at the hotel said breakfast in the dining room was lovely, though we didn't experience it ourselves.

Oh, and that brings me to another point: we (the three) were there with two other friends. The two got placed on the 21st floor, we were on the 9th. Friends had a fantastic view of the entire city, while our room had a bay view if you cricked your neck at a certain angle outside the window. Otherwise, you were staring into the adjacent windows. Surely when our room issue got screwed up, the woman at the front desk could have at least given us a room with a nicer view? That costs the hotel nothing.

Anyway, unless this place gets a MAJOR overhaul in the way the staff behaves and treats customers, I imagine the incredibly mixed reviews will continue. I've stayed at a few Le Meridien properties around the world, but this is the first to have anything other than exceptional service. And this property didn't just fall short of the Le Meridien standard, it plummeted down into a whole different class level.

My advice? Find somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank ThisPlceHsEverything
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you very much for writing your review. This is feedback is very important to us. I am sorry about the experience you had with the extra bed and the attitude of the desk agent. I do understand your frustration and why you would feel this way. I am going to use your feedback as a valuable tool during our training sessions. We need to follow through on what the guests have been promised or find a solution. Thank you again and please accept my apology.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

BASICALLY...
I'd recommend this hotel if you are looking for a comfortable stay because the rooms were spacious. Not much food options opened on the weekends within 5 mins walk, but if you are willing to walk 10-15 mins then there's alot more food options.

ROOM TYPE
Studio Suite on the 14th floor

ROOM
-a big comfortable king bed
-separate living area with comfortable couches
-very spacious bathroom with separate shower and bathtub
-large flatscreen TV
-floor-to-ceiling windows
-nice furnishings; no stains

VIEW
-street view, directly across from a shorter office building

AMENITIES
-good bathroom amenities such as shampoo, body wash, conditioner, cotton buds, makeup cotton pads, hairdryer etc
-free wifi; the connection speed was quite good

LOCATION
-located in the Financial District area; we stayed on a weekend and most of the cafes within 1 block were not opened. I assumed they only opened during weekdays for office workers
-however the hotel was directly opposite a Starbucks which is handy
-within 10 mins walk from Chinatown so we were able to get food options from there
-within 10 mins walk from Transamerica Building
-about 10 mins walk from the Ferry Marketplace building
-about 15 mins walk to Little Italy and nightlife

SERVICE
-not too pleased with the checkin staff; it took us 10 mins to get our key to our room. The staff member was very slow and kept walking away from the Front Desk to do other stuff. She told us she was multitasking and had to do fulfill some requests for other guests, but I wish she concentrated on our checkin so we could get to our room quicker
-the Concierge staff were nice and helpful with our luggage and getting us a taxi

CLEANLINESS
-the Housekeeping staff cleaned the room nicely; no complaints there

2  Thank hayleylilly
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the comments and find them very useful. I am sorry that the check-in process was slow. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve. I am glad that you enjoyed the room, the cleanliness and the location. We are happy that you had a nice stay.

RSW

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Le Meridien is modern and welcoming. Sometimes very modern hotels feel lacking in warmth. This hotel had wonderful aesthetics but it was still a place you like to hang out. I had dinner twice in their lounge and found the food good and reasonably priced. (I had the dungeness crab caesar twice)My 1 year old god daughter and her parents came up to visit me after my business event and they were just as welcomed as anyone else. The rooms were comfortable and I did not hear anything that kept me awake although I was on the 18th floor. Lots of conveniences near by including CVS, restaurants and the Embarcadero is walkable. It has a big event space adjacent which was easy to walk to in moments for the gala I attended. (Bently Reserve)

Room Tip: Most rooms have views, you can specify the bridge or the bay, sometimes you get a glimpse of both
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you for giving us the great feedback about your stay. We are happy you liked the decor and our popular Bar 333. There is so much to do around here and I am happy you were able to take advantage of it. We hope to see you in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Great location, close to Chinatown and Embarcadero and Broadway. Lobby was OK and gets a bit noisy at night due to the overflow from the adjacent bar and restaurant, especially if you are doing some work in the business center which has no door. Very knowledgeable concierge and extremely helpful. Manager was very accommodating to our issues with the noise in the lobby.

Ask for a room with a view of the Bay. Overall good value for a major city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bay.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Troy g, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for the feedback about our hotel and your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Came for a one-night birthday celebration and our first visit to the hotel. Overall very good and will undoubtedly add the hotel to our list for future stays. Convenient location to the Embarcadero and Ferry Building and the Financial District (which is pretty dead on the weekends); good service, very clean and comfortable rooms. Only minor complaint is that our room had damp carpet from carpet cleaning that day (a small sign was stuck in the door number telling us this) but we could not stay in the room with damp feel on your feet. Glad they are cleaning the carpet, but kind of weird we were given the room! Regardless, staff quickly got us another room and all was good. The king small suite we booked was on the end of the building and only has a small window in the corner (no view from the bed but view from chair was great). There is a large structural panel in the rest of the room that is covered by the TV and credenza/closets. However, the bathroom view was perhaps the best ever - sliding glass door with a small balcony and views of the Bay Bridge! Who can't be happy when taking a shower there! Bed was very comfy with nice sheets and great to have an hotel room with fresh air from the sliding door. Parking is not cheap but few places are in SF.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 20 are on the east end of the building looking towards the Bay Bridge and have a kil...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the comments about your stay with us. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room and that our staff handled the issue of the wet carpet swiftly and you were not inconvenienced. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

The room, on the 15th floor, was clean, sleek, and had a view of the Bay Bridge. We only stayed for one night, but it was so convenient. Be prepared to pay hugely extra for parking, that's how it goes in San Francisco. Then, you should tip the valets nicely, because they are very efficient and service oriented. Before you book, look around online for a deal. Don't pay full price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank tfobmtz
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for writing about your stay and thank you for the great review. We are happy that you appreciated our valet staff and the location. I hope to see you in the future.