“Pleasantly Surprised by Great Staff”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #47 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Pleasantly Surprised by Great Staff”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We've stayed in the Financial District of San Francisco several times. The hotels have always been upscale. What sets the Le Meridien apart is the staff. They are amazingly friendly. As soon as the valet opened my car door I was taken back by how friendly and helpful he was. Then at the front desk the woman behind the counter gave me a great big smile and welcome. She even gave me an upgrade to a suite. I didn't ask for it. She just said, "I have a surprise for you and you'll see what it is when you to get to you room." For such an upscale hotel, which I booked with Priceline for about $50 less than what the hotel web site showed, the staff were not pretentious. I've found that many hotel staff in fancy S.F. hotels treat you as though you're lucky they're letting you spend the night there.

Green Features: I'm not aware of what those practices are. What I did like was that they give you a $5 credit voucher if you don't have your room cleaned and bed made every day that you're there.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachWizard4U

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My fiance and I were in town visiting friends and checking out the restaurant scene. Hotel rooms are very nice, modern and chic.Bed is very comfortable and the bathrooms is super cool looking.
Staff is good and very attentive. Location is perfect too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I’m becoming a huge fan of Le Meridien. We had a very enjoyable stay at the San Francisco Financial District location. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. Our room was large, well appointed, and extremely comfortable. Even the complimentary bottled water - while a small amenity - is a welcome change to the water with the $6 price tag one typically finds at comparable hotels. The building has a rather unusual angular design so that most rooms have a "corner" window. We had a nice view of the Bay Bridge. Happy hour from 2-7 in the hotel bar is an added plus. While there is not a lot going on in the Financial District for tourists, the hotel is a short stroll to the Embarcadero, ferry building, and Chinatown and a very walkable distance to Union Square. For public transit riders, a Muni and BART stop is an easy 7-10 minute walk, and the #1 bus will drop you off less than a block from the hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank freqtraveleratl
Bradford
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here as a longer USA trip. We were struggling to find a reasonable priced hotel and this was booked through Priceline. We were in the car and parked at Embarcadero Centre which is across the street and saved money compared to the hotels valet. Check in was quick and friendly.

We arrived on a Friday evening and in the hotel bar they had a happy hour. There is also a British style pub over the road called the Elephant in Castle, there are not many other restaurants or bars in the area as the hotel is in the Financial District. We got a taxi a couple of times and the rest of the time we tended to walk, it is about 10 minutes walk to Union Square and another 10 minutes in the other direction to the Ferry Building. The hotel staff were really helpful at advising us how to get places and also which cable cars to get on.

Our room was spacious and clean. I would recommend staying at this hotel if you can get it at a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
stevenson ranch, ca
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel was great! We arrived a little early & unfortunately we weren't able to check into our room right away, but the front desk did offer to hold our luggage for us. Everything was tagged & taken to a back area. The hotel is conveniently located near the embarcadero, so we didn't even need a taxi cab or to use our car (there is a parking structure just across the street.) There were so many restaurants, coffee houses, and attractions near the hotel! We went to a concert several blocks down (about a 15-20 min walk), so we called the front desk to ask if they could bring our luggage to our room & we would check in after the show. No problem at all! When we finally got to our room, we had a gorgeous view of both the city & the water. It was absolutely fantastic. The beds were so comfortable & everything was neat & clean & spacious. In the morning, as we were getting ready, we discovered my sister's makeup bag was missing. We called down to the front desk to report it & they apologized, looked for it & found it. Not even 5 minutes had passed from our initial report & they sent it up right away. No kidding- there was 0 wait time! Excellent customer service, very professional & accomadating. We were extremely happy with our stay here! Thank you Le Meridien!!

Green Features: Trash cans are hard to come by (on the streets) - EVERYthing is recycled in San Francisco which is really nice, but at times, its hard to find a place to put your trash...you will find them eventually, they are just sporatically placed, but that is in the city, not inside the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank m w
Fairfield County, CT
Reviewed September 23, 2013

A great hotel right next to the Embarcadero center. It has good views of the area and nice modern rooms. I had an executive room with an office, a small balcony and a view over the street. This hotel is in the SPG network. A good option for a business trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I've been to San Francisco a dozen or more times, but I'd never stayed in the Financial District. It always struck me as a boring area with only a few mega-chain hotels. Recently, however, the combination of tight availability (due to the Americas Cup) and the fact that I needed a room with two beds (which lets out most boutiques) led me to try Le Meridien San Francisco.

Le Meridien has a faint "corporate" feel, but the warmness of the staff and the spacious rooms (and beautiful views) more than make up for it. They placed me on the Starwood "Preferred Guest" floor (I'm a member, but rarely stay in Starwood hotels so I'm not exactly "elite" status), which had sweeping views over the Bay and Telegraph Hill. In fact, the view from my room was one of the best I've ever had, anywhere in the world. The front desk personnel were extremely helpful, particularly when I had to address an unexpected work emergency. The room decor was a little bland, but the room itself was comfortable, and the bathroom was large and spotless.

Contrary to what I had thought, the FiDi location is a plus, not a minus. The Ferry Terminal is about a 10-minute walk. Union Square shopping, Chinatown, and North Beach restaurants are all within an easy walk. I stayed at Fishermans Wharf on my last trip to San Francisco about a year ago, and I found the location of Le Meridien to be superior in all respects (not to mention avoiding all the awful tee-shirt shops and other tourist blight at Fisherman's Wharf).

Try Le Meridien. I think you'll like it.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay side room on the highest floor available.