“Wonderful Location But Remodeling & Staff Made It Subpar”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #47 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful Location But Remodeling & Staff Made It Subpar”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here when the lobby was under construction so the entry and exit was a pain. Elevators (to the ground floor and to the rooms) took an unusually long time, which was also strange. The staff was quite unfriendly and not very helpful, and I am a Gold SPG member. The rooms themselves were nice, though, and it is one of the better locations in the financial district. Overall, I would've rather stayed a couple blocks away for better service and value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BaltimoreGuest123
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I was very troubled to hear that your the staff encounters did not meet your expectations. It is very helpful for us to hear from our guests about our short commings and your feedback is very important. We will share this with the staff.

We are very excited about our new lobby and bar that will be revealed in late February and hope that you will give us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed Saturday through Sunday at this property, and it was very decent. The rooms were immaculate and clean. The lobby is currently undergoing construction, which makes it a little awkward (you have to use a service elevator to get into the building, and the front desk is makeshift). However, it doesn't technically make a huge difference for the hotel experience itself. We had two rooms, one with two beds and one king suite. The concept of having balconies in every room is awesome, and the beds/towels were awesome. The rooms didn't smell, and everything was peaceful.

Location of this hotel isn't the best, but it makes up for it in the availability of parking - including street.

However, one bad experience as follows: when we unloaded, we left our car in the loading area to take our bags upstairs. No more than 5 minutes later, we came back down. The Valet manager freaked out on us, saying that he had called for our car to be towed. However, we had clearly told another valet that we were leaving our car, and taking stuff up and would be back in 5 minutes, and he vigorously nodded. Because of the chaotic nature of their construction, they obviously didn't communicate. But it wasn't nice to yell at us for about 5 minutes either.

On the flip side, we were there for a marathon and they let us extend our checkout for about an hour so we could come back and shower. Unfortunately, bad service stands out more than good service. Therefore, I can't strongly laud the service of this establishment. It's up to management to ensure that the customers have a consistent experience, and we definitely did not.

Room Tip: I'd recommend 720, it's a king size room with a huge bathroom and balcony. In general, it ap...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate the comments about the valet and will follow up with them on there service delivery. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the room and was not to disturbed by our restyling project. The good news is that our Lobby & Bar are scheduled to open mid-February and it is looking awesome. Please come back and visit with us once it is done.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful. We got this hotel from Hotwire and we were not disappointed. Although we got it for a great price, we got upgraded to a studio. I don't really know why but this proof these guys treat every customer the same way, no matter what they paid for the room. I love this mentality. Big and clean room with great bathroom, view to the Bay Bridge, nice staff, great location. Highly recommended. They were renovating the lobby and they expect to finish it by the end of February. after that, this hotel will get even better. If you like Italian restaurant, I recommend Gio's in Halle Street. Really nice typical restaurant next door.

Stayed January 2013
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and you are right we are expecting our lobby restyling to be completed by the end of February. We are so excited for our big reveal.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and got upgraded (yay for SPG). The room was very standard but clean. However, we had major problems with our internet connection. We called a few times but they couldn't fix the problem. Being a business hotel, WIFI is an absolute must.

We waited for a long time while checking in. Even the line for SPG guests was very long.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Miami
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed here while the hotel was in construction. Odd entry though a side elevator.
This meant access in and out is difficult. The rooms feel fresh and well appointed. Comfortable. Price for midweek stay is absurd, but this was the only option. Would I come back? Maybe… At over $450 a night the experience should be luxurious. Their room service food quality should improve.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are nearing the end of our restyling project and are very excited to reveal our brand new lobby & bar in mid February.
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times because I like the location and have enjoyed the hotel. My only complaint has been that the restroom is nowhere near the hotel bar.

The hotel was so bad due to the construction that I checked out early in the morning to check into another hotel.

I booked the hotel on a 3rd party website, and I wasn't made aware of the construction. The construction is so extensive that I would have assumed that they would close the hotel or at least make sure people were aware of the extent of the construction. I wasn't told about any situation about the water when I checked in. However, there was a letter in my room that said the water was going to be off from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. due to the construction.

The lobby is gutted, so you have to enter through a side door (another side door is boarded up). Then, you take a service elevator to a makeshift check in area that is inside a small room. The area near the makeshift lobby is even under construction. So, there is no feeling of an open community space. I didn't want to hang out in the hotel.

The rooms were fine, as they have always been. However, my TV did not work, and the elevator was glitchy. It stopped going up mid way through the floors that had been pressed and returned to the makeshift lobby floor.

This is also the only Starwood that I have ever been to that didn't honor my Gold status because I had booked on a 3rd party site. I would have thought they would even be more accommodating given the state of the hotel during construction.

I spoke with several guests who were very unhappy with the hotel given the construction. Bad job, Starwood.

I am certain this hotel will be much nicer (and worth significantly more than one star) when renovations are completed, but I question a property that is so inconvenient to guests during a remodel.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel during the remodel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David&Buster
Thank you for your feed back. We appreciate your patience and hope that you will come back to expereince the new Le Meridien in mid February. We are nearing the end of our restyling project and are very excited for our big reveal.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 28, 2013

On the morning of our third day at Le Meridien San Francisco, we were told the hotel water would be shut off from 10 til 4PM the next day, which happens to be the day we were checking out at noon. The note under the door did not provide any kind of compensation or offer water bottles for the room. No mention of the water shut off was provided at check-in several days earlier. When we arrived at the hotel later in the evening I called to front desk to confirmation the water shut off. The answer was yes, and the hotel would not provide anything apart from several small bottles of water on request and access to the hotel lobby bathroom (to be shared by ALL the hotel guests)! I was quite surprised. The hotel is rated 4 Star and is part of a well regarded brand. However, we were being offered less then one would receive at a youth hostel. No apology, no compensation, no effort to make make the situation workable for guests. Truly horrible service......

Room Tip: No room is acceptable without a working bathroom!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NickD3
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconvenience you were caused by our Water System Upgrade. We are nearing the end of our restyling project and are very excited for all of our guests to see the new Le Meridien. Please come back and visit with us mid February,