“Just ok!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami
“Just ok!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed here while the hotel was in construction. Odd entry though a side elevator.
This meant access in and out is difficult. The rooms feel fresh and well appointed. Comfortable. Price for midweek stay is absurd, but this was the only option. Would I come back? Maybe… At over $450 a night the experience should be luxurious. Their room service food quality should improve.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are nearing the end of our restyling project and are very excited to reveal our brand new lobby & bar in mid February.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times because I like the location and have enjoyed the hotel. My only complaint has been that the restroom is nowhere near the hotel bar.

The hotel was so bad due to the construction that I checked out early in the morning to check into another hotel.

I booked the hotel on a 3rd party website, and I wasn't made aware of the construction. The construction is so extensive that I would have assumed that they would close the hotel or at least make sure people were aware of the extent of the construction. I wasn't told about any situation about the water when I checked in. However, there was a letter in my room that said the water was going to be off from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. due to the construction.

The lobby is gutted, so you have to enter through a side door (another side door is boarded up). Then, you take a service elevator to a makeshift check in area that is inside a small room. The area near the makeshift lobby is even under construction. So, there is no feeling of an open community space. I didn't want to hang out in the hotel.

The rooms were fine, as they have always been. However, my TV did not work, and the elevator was glitchy. It stopped going up mid way through the floors that had been pressed and returned to the makeshift lobby floor.

This is also the only Starwood that I have ever been to that didn't honor my Gold status because I had booked on a 3rd party site. I would have thought they would even be more accommodating given the state of the hotel during construction.

I spoke with several guests who were very unhappy with the hotel given the construction. Bad job, Starwood.

I am certain this hotel will be much nicer (and worth significantly more than one star) when renovations are completed, but I question a property that is so inconvenient to guests during a remodel.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel during the remodel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David&Buster
Thank you for your feed back. We appreciate your patience and hope that you will come back to expereince the new Le Meridien in mid February. We are nearing the end of our restyling project and are very excited for our big reveal.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 28, 2013

On the morning of our third day at Le Meridien San Francisco, we were told the hotel water would be shut off from 10 til 4PM the next day, which happens to be the day we were checking out at noon. The note under the door did not provide any kind of compensation or offer water bottles for the room. No mention of the water shut off was provided at check-in several days earlier. When we arrived at the hotel later in the evening I called to front desk to confirmation the water shut off. The answer was yes, and the hotel would not provide anything apart from several small bottles of water on request and access to the hotel lobby bathroom (to be shared by ALL the hotel guests)! I was quite surprised. The hotel is rated 4 Star and is part of a well regarded brand. However, we were being offered less then one would receive at a youth hostel. No apology, no compensation, no effort to make make the situation workable for guests. Truly horrible service......

Room Tip: No room is acceptable without a working bathroom!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NickD3
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconvenience you were caused by our Water System Upgrade. We are nearing the end of our restyling project and are very excited for all of our guests to see the new Le Meridien. Please come back and visit with us mid February,
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at Le Meridien because the package rate included staying in a suite and free parking. We had stayed at this property a couple of years ago and although our room then was nothing special, the breakfasts we ate every day were spectacular. When we arrived this time, renovation of the lobby had moved check-in to the 2nd floor, and I waited in a small room with about 40 people in a line, all checking in at the same time with only 2 "front desk" attendants. When I finally got up to the desk, my room was not yet ready and I was told to wait in the next room. Our luggage was stowed in a cramped room and I literally had to put our things together in a corner to keep them separated from the mess of luggage thrown into the room. Bobby, the bellman, was rude then, and he was even ruder later when he delivered my bags to our room. He came into the room, threw the bags on the floor, and headed down the hall before I could give him a tip. I chased him down the hall and told him I did not appreciate his rudeness and he responded that he was overworked. That attitude was prevalent with everyone we encountered at the hotel. Everyone seemed stressed, harried, overworked, and did not have time to be gracious or even nice. There were exceptions, like the concierge and the front desk people, also the bar manager, who was very gracious to me because I sat in the bar during the daytime working on my laptop in order to access the internet. Our room was lovely but I won't stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger and have good views. The suites have great views and tiny balconies. Rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. It is never easy when going through a restyling project on the scale of what we are doing here at Le Meridin and we ask for your patience as we are nearing the end. Please come and visit us again for our big reveal in mid February.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

As other reviewers have noticed, this hotel is being renovated. Properly managed, that should not be a problem, but it is. From the street, you go up a construction-like elevator to the second floor and temporary lobby, however, there are no visible signs pointing you where to go. So we wandered about the floor until we found a small room with what appeared to be a temporary check in. Instead of being greeted by someone, a person behind the desk just looked at us and stated "Name?" Hardly the type of greeting expected at a four-star hotel. The room was OK, however, the safe did not work because of a dead battery. Then we found out the phone had the same problem. There was no directory for the hotel in the room and the fitness center was located by studying buttons in the elevators. The fitness center did offer complimentary workout clothes cleaning, which was nice. There was an iron and board in the room, but when I went to use it, the cord was only about 2 feet long and there was no outlet in the room that it would work with. The location is good enough and the rooms are good enough, but this property needs some attention to detail, both in the rooms and the front desk. For example, why does a room with two double beds have one bathrobe? And no coffee in the room? This is one of those places where the manager should play the role of a customer and see how his property appears to the customer. As it is, even discounting for the construction, I find it hard to agree that this is a four-star hotel and if we'd paid full rack rate, we would be upset. This is more like a deluxe 3+ star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very good customer service, the morning wake up calls are from a real person not machines, he actually dialed several time to make sure we are waked up to catch a 6:00 am flight.

All the staffs are very friendly and happy to assist us with everything, especially for the kids. It is one of the best customer service hotel we ever been.

Because they are out of the double bed room during our check-in, we were offered upgrade to a studio suite with roll-away bed for a small fee.

The room is very nice and clean, and the bed is very comfortable.

It is definitely one of the top hotel in SF area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We purchased a Groupon for this hotel unaware that it would be under construction (it's clear now that the Groupon was due to the construction). Finding the entrance was less than ideal, however, the room was large, comfortable and we had a view of the bay bridge. The bathroom was well stocked with necessary amenities, although the bathtub was on the small side and there was only 1 bathrobe. The hotel is very centrally located which was great! We were able to walk everywhere (Union Square 20min, Ghirardelli Square 30min, Ferry Building 10min). Like a previous reviewer noted, the location of the hotel is in a very sleepy part of town. We stayed over the weekend and it was hard to find even a Starbucks open (out of the 15+ we saw). I don't think we would pay the full price to stay here again, however, if Groupon had another deal we would consider it.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise. We stayed on the 12th floor and it was ok.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emmily J
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are in the home strech with the restyling of our lobby. We are expecting it to be done the first week in February and are very excited to share our new look & feel with our guest. We hope that you come back and visit us once it is finished. Thank you for staying with us.