“Excellent location w/ a few minor issues”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #40 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel was lobby under construction when we were there (Jan 13) and the temporary entrance was a bit less than ideal.. But other than that, the hotel was great. Nice large, clean rooms. Check in/out was a breeze, and the consierge was friendly and offerred some excellent dining suggestions. Excellent location. Few blocks to BART, Ferry Building, North Beach and China town. A few more to Union Square and Cable Cars.

A few wonky aspects. First $14/day per wifi. Do hotels seriously still charge separately for that? And second, no coffee makers in the room. Now they did offer complementary coffee in the lobby, and the coffee was quite delicious. But each time I went down, there was at least 1 nice, older lady in lobby in her bathroom grabbing some. I have to admit, I did get a chuckle, but it was kind of tacky.

For the right price, I would definitely stay here again.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien San Francisco

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed in the Le Meridien last weekend to visit friends in the city. I knew the remodel was going on from looking at the reviews here. The lobby situation and elevator to get in and out was not ideal, but I liked the hotel quite a bit. It's a "sleepy" area of town on the weekends (but close to the Embarcadero and Market), but again I knew that having lived there.

The room was very big, updated, had very comfortable beds with down comforters, a whole wall of floor to ceiling windows with a view if you're high enough. I would stay again without question.

A couple of minor things (not a big deal, but I remembered them):
The electrical plugs in the bathroom were not at the sink area and were positioned in a spot without a mirror in front.
There was only one bathrobe in the closet, but not sure if there might be more normally.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SeaTraveler77
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 1 night as we visited my cousin who was in San Fran on vacation. We drove up and wound up using valet, which had we known was not included in the price and costly, we may have been tempted to seek parking elsewhere, however that may have turned out to be an expensive proposition. The hotel's parking entrance is right where the hotel's main entrance is, but quite hidden. Aside from that the hotel is quite easy to find.

The service at the hotel was top notch as could be expected. We didn't get a chance to use the amenities so can't speak to how well they were, however the room we were at was exceptional. It was large, comfortable, and very clean. We got in, took a shower, rested for a few minutes, then headed out all day until late at night so we didn't get to use everything in the hotel.

All in all a great stay for a great price since we stayed on a weekend. If ever in town again, would definitely wouldn't mind staying here.

Room Tip: For a great view, try the top floor and facing the bay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I will look past the construction and the temporary lobby because everything was well marked and the reception staff were extremely quick, pleasant, and helpful at all times of the day and night. It is not clear what will emerge once it's done but the temporary situation is very workable.

The rooms are on the large size for San Francisco. Ours was a corner room with a partial view of the financial district. The beds are extremely comfortable and the linens are soft. The rest of the room amenities are subpar. The furniture is dated. The room could have been a tad cleaner, and the bathrooms are what are most in need of refurbishment. The tub and sink area are dated, with peeling wall paper and 1970's style hot and cold fawcets. There is very little noise between rooms and I got a good night sleep in a comfy bed, but there is nothing French or particularly spectacular about this Meridien. It's dated but the location is very good and the service is top notch. We got a terrific rate through Hotwire. Anyone paying the rack rate would be advised to look elsewhere. A Starwood property maybe, but feels more like Sheraton.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am currently staying at this hotel and all I can say is what a beautiful hotel in an excellent location. The hotel is very close to China Town, North Beach, the piers and only about a 15-20 min. walk from all the shopping at Union Square. I am here with my husband and we are in a gorgeous luxury suite with amazing city views! Great hotel, great staff, clean rooms, and conveniently located near many popular places in San Francisco. Will definitely be back and recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at Le Meridien for two nights on business for the JP Morgan Conference held in Union Square. It's a healthy walk to Union but very manageable. The hotel is undergoing a renovation in several areas, especially, the entrance/ the lobby area and dining. I didn't realize the transition was still occurring prior to booking. Nonetheless, I understand upgrades are needed from time to time.

I was delighted with my view of Telegraph Hill, Transamerica Building and a bit of the East Bay. The room was very spacious with most amenities in place. I would have liked to have coffee / tea/ hot water amenities in the room. The bathroom was for the most part delightful and relaxing. They could use heavier doors that close rather than sliding doors. The beds were very comfortable and the room temperature was great.

The noise in between rooms can be heard. It's not a game stopper but I would like to see some sound proofing as they continue their upgrades.

Price was a bit too high but that may have been related to the Healthcare Conference being held in town and a lack of hotel space in the area. I paid >$700 per night. If not on business, I would likely seek different accommodations or sought a lower rate.

Once the renovations are complete, I would anticipate a very good hotel with good location especially if you need access to the Financial district and wharf. I like Starwood hotels and this appears to be going in the right direction. Just in a bit of a transition right now. Be patient.

Room Tip: Ensure renovations are complete or status of work is disclosed prior to booking.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David C
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Please stay stuned for our lobby revail the second week in February. We can't wait, it going to be great !!!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I see all of the comments on construction but I dont know what the big deal is....I dont hear any noise and and I just have to take the elevator to the 2nd floor to check in. They have people directing me where to go and it seemed pretty easy to me. I am excited to see the new lobby. I hear it is going to be done very soon and from what the staff says it is going to have this cool new bar area that is going to have great vibe! I cant wait to see it! Dont be scared away from this great hotel. I love it and stay here every time I go to San Fran! Check this hotel out...I think it is a great location (I can walk to see the Sea Lions)!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for your positive comments. While it is never an easy task to operate a hotel while a restyling is taking place we have tried very hard to ensure that our guest experience was minimally impacted. We are so excited to have a brand new lobby for our guest and it is looking so good. We are expecting the big reveal in the second week of February so please stay tuned.