“Great Location/Really Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #97 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Racine, Wisconsin
“Great Location/Really Good Hotel”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Mosser was just what the doctor ordered when I had to go to San Francisco on short notice. In the Union Square area near cable cars, shopping, plenty of restaurants, just down the hill from Chinatown, and around the corner from Bay Area Transit (BART). We usually try to stay at Kimpton hotels (the Palomar was just a few doors over), but at the 11th hour they were either full or prohibitively expensive. The Mosser is well maintained, has a very helpful staff, and provides complimentary morning muffins and coffee. The room was small per the period of the building, but the floor plan used space extremely efficiently and the décor was nice. They stowed my luggage after checking out as I explored SF by day and flew out at night. When going to SF in the future I'll look at Kimptons and The Mosser.

Room Tip: I was in a Twin Bed room, #221. It faced the street but was pretty quiet most of the time. Being on...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank GlobalCitizen2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The Mosser was a clean and comfortable hotel with no hassle. The staff were very helpful on check in/out, as well as providing new key cards for our room as we kept accidentally swiping them so they didn't work. Hotel is near to the trolleys which lead to all major tourist destinations.

Only a small compliant, the room and bathroom were quite small but it was no biggie!

Overall, we had a good stay at the hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Laura S
Melbourne
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I agonized what to write about this hotel. When our airline schedule changed, and our chosen hotel could not accommodate us for an extra night, our Booking Agent (ABC Global Services) was able to obtain a room at The Mosser, at what we were told was a "good rate". Later we found out that the "Good rate" included a 33% commission of $58 on a room rate of $175.20 before taxes. Of course, this commission was nothing to do with The Mosser and I have tried to discount it from this review.

So, positive comments first. Yes,The Mosser is situated in downtown SF and it is an easy walk to nearby restaurants and touristy shops. Importantly for us, it is also very close to the nearby BART trains which allowed us to get to the airport the next day. And yes, our room was clean, the bed comfortable, and our room rate included a small shower and toilet. WiFi was very good and our room seemed to have multi-glazed windows, so noise from the streets was not obtrusive. By clever use of shelves and walls, most amenities were available, e.g. ironing board, LCD TV, small arm-chair and a very small table.

But (and for us, it was a Big But!) our room was just too small, especially for the base rate we paid. If there are two of you, and you need to repack your bags, there's not too much room left to move around the bed. Likewise, the little handbasin is so small that teeth-cleaning became a major operation, with yours truly banging his head on an inconveniently placed shelf. There was no room for a small fridge and barely enough room to brew the supplied coffee.

In short, this Hotel would be fine for a single, younger person who needed to be in the CBD for one or two nights, but I have reservations about its suitability for longer stays, especially for seniors like us!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank OnceBittenMelbourne
Hillary M, Sales Manager at The Mosser, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear OnceBittenMelbourne,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at the Mosser Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the close proximity of our hotel to your nearby points of interests. The location of our hotel is walking distance to many awesome shops, restaurants, and bars- which I find very convenient as well. I am sorry to hear that the size of your room did not fulfill your expectations. We certainly have some very value oriented rooms that are smaller, however we do have plenty of rooms that offer far more space for those that would like size above lowest price. Our larger rooms do face the 4th street side but all our windows are double-paned to ensure a good night’s rest. I very much would like to have you stay with us again, so please contact me directly at the hotel and we will see if we can get you into a larger room the next time around. Thanks again for your business and hopefully you can give us another try in the future so you can experience what so many others have come to enjoy about the Mosser Hotel.

Hillary M.
Sales Manager
UK
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Visited in April with my partner. We stayed in a room with a private shower/lavatory facilities.

My girlfriend and I arrived at Powell station having used the BART to get from SFO to the hotel, it was all very straightforward to do, and the proximity of the hotel to the BART station couldn't have made the journey any easier.

Upon entering the hotel, the door was opened by a very welcoming gentleman. We were then greeted by reception staff. Very friendly and professional service, couldn't have asked for more. We were asked if we needed help with our bags, we declined as we didn't have much. But the staff were more than happy to help out.

We proceeded up to our room, using the fairly rickety old lift. It's worth pointing out that there is only the 1 lift in the building, not a problem for me. But I can imagine it might result in a bit of a wait during the busier times of year.
The corridors felt a bit dated, but not to the pint where it was a negative experience.

Upon entering our room I was pleasantly surprised. It's far from large, but there is plenty of space for everything you'd need. The rooms felt modern, clean and 'airy', despite their small size. The sink was in the room it's self, yet the shower and lavatory were in another small room separated from the main area by a door.
The room had plenty of soaps/shampoo's on offer, including some free samples of branded products (such as branded antihistamine, oddly. Though I did make use of it!), plenty of towels on offer and there were two lovely robes hanging behind the shower room door.

The WiFi provided was excellent, which makes a lovely change considering the dire connection hotels normally provide and the TV facilities kept me entertained while my girlfriend nodded off.

A few small issues to mention though:
It was warm and there is no AC. Opening the window brings in plenty of cool air, but considering it's location right next to Union Square, it's noisy. If your a light sleeper you might find it hard to sleep with the window open.

Secondly, our room faced another part of the building. You could see into other peoples rooms. Personally this didn't bother me, I'm not massively bothered about my own privacy and you can always close the blinds when getting changed. But if your distinctly uneasy about the possibility of being over looked, I'd advise requesting a room which does not face the other side of the building.

Finally, as I've always touched upon it can be noisy. Not just from outside, but particularly noisy rooms can be overheard. Again, this wasn't a problem for us. There were clearly a group of people in a room close by getting ready to enjoy a night out, they were noisy but it didn't go on late into the night and I wasn't once woken up during the night.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay. Cheap, cheerful and welcoming in the heart of San Francisco. Couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ethybeefy
Reviewed June 29, 2014

It's a very nice a comfy place to stay right in the heart of SF. Walking distance from almost everything. The customer service is awesome and everyone is very friendly and helpful. The beds are super comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jcrynolds
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay at the Mosser. The staff were friendly and efficient and the hotel itself was very clean and well maintained. The location in downtown San Francisco suited our purposes, too, although being in a busy urban area it might be advisable to bring earplugs...

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dave L
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Just finished my second stay here and it's clear word has spread far beyond California about the Mosser. Lots of young Europeans are guests. And with good reason. The hotel, simple, clean and affordable with a whiff of sophistication, fills up often. Great location off Market. Good included breakfast of coffee and buttery muffins. I'll be back - if I can get in.

• Stayed June 2014