“Good Hotel, Great Location”
Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #89 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel is located a block from Union Square and public transportation; you really can't beat that! Also, the valet parking for a car was only around $40 and that is a great price for the city. The hotel staff were great and so courteous. The free breakfast is just coffee and muffins, but you can't beat free. :-) The rooms were very small (we got a room with a private bathroom, NOT a shared bathroom), but it's what you would expect from a SF boutique hotel. Our room felt newly renovated and modern. Overall, no complaints!

Room Tip: My husband and I didn't really like the idea of sharing a bathroom with other guests on the floo...

Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband baby and I, stayed at this hotel while my husband attended a conference at the Moscone Center.. They had a crib ready in our room. The hotel was very clean. The hotel staff was great! We loved getting the muffins each morning. We were really close to great shopping and the bus station. I would totally stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: If you don't want to share a bathroom let the hotel staff know when you book!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Emily P
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was not quite sure what to expect after getting a steal of a rate for SF, but walking off the BART and into this little boutique hotel in the middle of downtown was quite a surprise. Got in on Friday afternoon to the desk and we were welcomed by a friendly staff and an afternoon wine hour!? Excellent surprise there. The room, again...didn't expect the very best being a last minute online rate, but we did get a private bath/shower which was very neat, clean and compact. The bed set up was excellent and trendy...IKEA style, but very nice and cozy still. The bed itself was very comfy. The only little oddity was being right next to the elevator, but it never posed a problem. The window opens to a cool breeze, as well as downtown noise but the cool air of San Francisco is more important. There is no a/c but a really nice ceiling fan. Everything worked out for our stay. The coffee and muffins in the a.m. are a plus as well. Not to mention an awesome city Target a block away! I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a well priced stay in the city by the bay.

Room Tip: Request a private bath or make sure they've already assigned you to one prior to check-in.
3  Thank Tim T
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Advance booked this hotel so got a good rate. Room was spacious and good quality fixtures and fittings. Although was away from front of hotel, there was building work occurring to the rear of hotel in the evenings, though with the windows closed this was minimal. Shared bath (in one room) and toilet (in another room), but never an queues in the morning and both spotless. Desk, bell and cleaning staff were helpful. Hotel is close to market street and just around corner from Westfield shopping center, about 10-12 minute walk down to waterfront where you can rent bikes to Golden Gate bridge etc/Ferry port. Breakfast muffins in the morning were tasty.

Room Tip: Took a room away from front of hotel, but some building work occurring at the back of the building...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank italia2007
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have used The Mosser several times for short trips to the city and it has been a great place to stay without spending a ton of money. The staff has always been friendly and helpful and you never feel like they are treating you as an economy traveler. I will continue to use The Mosser.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Let me start by saying I was hugely surprised upon arrival at this hotel based on the several good reviews I read previous to my stay. First off, for any traveler who enjoys having the privacy of your own bathroom and shower, some rooms in this hotel are not for you. My boyfriend and I stayed here for our third night in California and couldn't have been less impressed with the experience. The front desk staff were nice but extremely unknowledgeable regarding the surrounding area. I appreciate when the customer service desk can give suggestions to those not from the area. Anyway, moving onto the rooms.. When you first walk in, there's a bed, a nightstand, a tv and a sink. Yes, the sink you will be using to wash your hands and brush your teeth since the bathroom is out in the hallway (which they do not inform you of upon check-in) and the shower is in a separate room out in the hallway as well. The entire floor shares a toilet and shower. There is also barely any room to walk in the room itself, as I banged my leg getting into and out of bed several times. The ceiling fan along with the window is the only control you have over the temperature in your room. In the middle of the night the window in our particular room would not open back up and the sink got clogged in the morning. On to the sleeping conditions..The hallway is very noisy and you can hear every word that is said from inside your room. I actually awoke mid-sleep to the sound of a woman loudly knocking on another person's door screaming obscenities. That was the only time I had to deal with a situation like this during a stay. The beds are relatively comfortable. Stay if you plan to spend absolute minimal time in the room. Not a good atmosphere for couples in my opinion. The good thing I will mention is that the hotel is very clean.

Room Tip: Ask about your shower/bathroom situation, not every room has them.
1  Thank Michelle V
Hillary M, Sales Manager at The Mosser, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that you had so many issues during your stay and I wish that it was brought to my attention while with us so that we could have taken care of them and ensured your stay was truly Mosser Hotel caliber. I do appreciate your time for sharing your feedback; it is the best way for us to improve our operation. I am sorry to hear that the size of your room did not fulfill your expectations. This property was built in 1913 and we certainly have some very economical rooms with a shared bath in the hallway, which is the room you stayed in. These value oriented rooms are smaller; however, we do have plenty of rooms that offer far more space with a private bath inside the room for guests that would like size above lowest price. We do apologize for the hallway noise that woke you—please know that once management was notified about the hallway noise, we took care of the situation as quickly and as best as we could. I do wish that I had the opportunity to speak directly with you while you were here as I am confident that the issues you had could have been rectified real time so that your experience would have been as good as so many before you. I am glad you thought the beds were comfortable and thought our hotel is very clean—we do pride ourselves in maintaining impeccable rooms and facilities. Thanks again for your business and hopefully you can give us another try in the future so you can experience what so many others have come to enjoy about the Mosser Hotel.

Hillary M.
Sales Manager

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Had a WONDERFUL 4 day stay at the MOSSER HOTEL in San Francisco. The staff went out of their way to make sure their guests had EVERYthing they could possibly need. Room was clean, a bit smaller than I was expecting, but QUITE adequate. After all, I came to see the CITY!!! not the 4 walls. :o) From the bellmen, to housekeeping staff, and CERTAINLY including the Front Desk personnel, I was made to feel right at home from the moment I walked through the door. I cannot wait for my next trip to San Francisco - I be staying at the Mosser for . . SURE

Room Tip: The Elevator can be a bit slow, but once I discovered the FRONT stairwell, it didn't matter in t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo