“Great central place to stay”
Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #89 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. Inside, the hotel is Art Deco. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. I liked the way they encourage guests to mingle - there is a free wine (or 2) between 5pm and 6pm on Friday. Muffins and coffee are available from 6am until 10am and the seating makes the lobby quite a social place.
I liked the decor in my room. It was clean and I was glad of the TV and the ceiling fan. Of course, there is street noise, as you are slap, bang in the middle of downtown San Francisco. My neighbours slammed their door all hours, but hey, that is not the hotel's fault and every traveller should have ear plugs!
I felt secure and felt that my belongings were secure. A perfect location for Union Square, the Westfield mall, the cable car stop and the Bart. Just be aware that if you are driving or intending to use the Muni that 4th street has lots of roadworks happening and a lane closed, so this will confuse drivers and who knows where the bus will go?

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank stalkercat
There are newer reviews for The Mosser

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

First let me start by saying I will never stay at this property again. The staff was extremely unhelpful and ride. I arrived on my motorcycle during a cross country ride and was very rudely informed, right away, that parking was not available for motorcycles. "You're going to have to find parking on the streets" is what I was told. First off there are signs saying no overnight parking and secondly the location is full of homeless and very shady, drug addict looking, people. I would not feel comfortable walking alone after dark in the area. After arguing, yes arguing with the hotel staff I was able to find a parking garage on my own that would allow me to park my motorcycle. I proceeded to drive the 3 block away and carry my bags back. The room was small but expected per the description and close to attractions. Next time I visit San Fran I will spend a few bucks more and find a better place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank FJD23
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had a great stay at The Mosser. It was centrally located and easily accessible to the BART, F street trolley, Starbucks, shops, restaurants, etc. Front Desk Staff and Doorman were helpful. Interesting to note, most of the staff is Filipino in part to the hotel's philanthropic efforts to promote a sustainable environment in the Philippines. I would certainly stay at The Mosser again and would recommend to solo visitors of San Francisco. Yes it is on the small side and a bit noisy (bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper) but it's very clean and for the price and location it can't be beat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The rooms are indeed very small, especially if you have the queen sized ones with shared bathrooms. The location is great however, we had the ideal starting point for our two day trip. Still, although we really got to like this place and found it comfortably cozy in the end, the price is too high for my liking especially if you consider the missing basic amneties such as a private bathroom. But maybe this is ok for downtown SF.

You should definitely check the prices and consider direct booking on the hotel website! The price we got from trivago was much higher...

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim L
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is centrally located in downtown San Francisco, just off Market St, very close to the Bart station (Powell) and the Westfield shopping center. It's across the road from the Marriott Marquis - a cheaper alternative if you're attending a conference/event at the Marriott.

The staff were friendly and professional. They stored my luggage when I arrived - I was too early to check-in - and also when I checked out.

Apples were available at the front desk in the afternoon and tea/coffee and muffins were available in the mornings for breakfast.

Although the room didn't have any tea/coffee making facilities, the complimentary drinks and muffins from 7am were a thoughtful and valued amenity (better than going to starbucks down the road).

I stayed in a deluxe queen room with a private bathroom. Although the room was small, it was clean and had everything you'd expect (except for a coffee maker). The room was quiet and comfortable even though it was located in a busy central area of SF.

The hotel had shared bathrooms and toilets on each floor if you wanted a cheaper room. The private bathroom did bump up the per-night rate. However, I would stay at the Mosser again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a queen bedroom with a 3 piece bathroom for 3 nights and it was fantastic. The hotel is in a great location by Union Square and the Westfield San Francisco shopping mall. We found the concierge and front desk staff to be very helpful with giving directions and they stored our luggage for free the morning we checked out before we had to go to the airport. There is a computer with FREE Internet access and printing in the lobby which is great and very very convenient (most hotels charge for this). The hotel also has muffins and coffee in the lobby each morning.

When we were travelling to the hotel, we were running late to check in (past midnight) and called the hotel before arriving to ensure our reservation was held and the staff was very courteous and agreed without any hassle.

We would definitely stay here again when we return to San Francisco.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Masooma519
Reviewed June 25, 2013

we had a great time in SFO staying in the Mosser. The location is perfect. The rooms are small but the design is great! Just one minute away from the cable car and the union square. We had a room with a shared bathroom and it was clean and always available. I would recommend this hotel to everybody who wants a cheap alternative in SFO.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple