“Great experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #96 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Sherwood, Oregon
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at The Mosser this month during a business trip. I was very pleased with the service. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the room was nice and comfortable. It was an overal great experience and I would stay there again in the future.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Marv_H13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mosser for 3 nights over New Years Eve. We are regular visitors to San Francisco and had never stayed here, but had visited Annabelle's (their bar next door) which was very nice. The hotel is ideally located for visitors who want to shop in all the big name places or people (like us) who like to walk everywhere and want a central starting point.

The Plus Points

Value for money - this is not an expensive hotel for the standard that you get.
The location is brilliant. and you are 2 mins from the BART and buses.
The decor is really chic and understated.
The bath in our private bathroom was a proper size.
The rooms, hallways and stairs are immaculate and sparkling clean.
The staff are for the most part very helpful
There is free internet and the use of a free printer in reception.

The Minus Points

The rooms are the some of the smallest I have ever seen. I paid for a Queen as I had read the reviews that warned me of this. On the first night they tried to palm us off with a shoe box and a double bed, so we slept one night there and as soon as a Queen room was available they moved us. Here's a tip: all the rooms that face onto the street and end in 14-21 are bigger. We had a big window, and room to actually move around the bedroom. The Queen room was lovely.

Only one lift, this is fine if you don't mind going up and down stairs (like us) but if you have to use the lift then this means patience is required.

The parking is quite pricey, and very cheekily, they upped it on NYE for no reason other than they could!

Keep a print out of your confirmation as friends of ours stayed here too and were told that they had no booking, and were asked to prove they did (shouldn't it be the other way round?!) which was no problem, just a little irritating.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the street are bigger. Rooms ending in the number 14-21 (I think) are the large...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank s p
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I had a lovely stay at The Mosser In October 2012. We were booked in by our travel agent Tania Wheeler, House of Travel, Hamilton, New Zealand. On our arrival we were very warmly welcomed by the reception staff who were very helpful and polite. All the staff we encountered made us feel very welcome. Our room was delightful, very comfortable and clean. Each morning we were treated to home baked muffins and either tea or coffee. Would recommend The Mosser as it was central and handy to almost everything. We would certainly stay there again should we return to San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret T
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Pros: The location was fantastic – for a first time visitor to the states, first stop San Francisco, this was a great central, safe, clean area, literally two minute's walk from the Bart stop (from the airport this was an extremely cheap and easy way to get to the hotel).

I actually would stay here again because of this fact, and because the cost wasn't bad (I wouldn't go so far as to say cheap, but reasonable if you research all the neighbouring hotels at the same quality).

I found the service fantastic, and helpful though – from the polite check in, where they offered to mind our luggage in a secure space as we were early, and also in suggesting a few good bars nearby, and on check out they suggested a car service that runs just out the front (this worked out a good $20 cheaper than flagging a cab too, by the way, and the driver was a lovely lady that had lots of good info on the area as well).

Cons: It has got a bit of a hostel vibe, although it's more of a mature clientele (not backpackers in dorm style, just more European hostel/pensione style) and we had a share bathroom, although that was actually very clean and there were two of them within a five second walk from our room, and we had no trouble having showers and using the loo whenever we wanted to. They are quite nice, self contained single shower and toilet cubicles, so it's not like you're sharing, or anyone can walk in, either.

The only breakfast offered was some muffins in the lobby each morning. A bit 'meh', but not a deal breaker.

The killer for us was the miniature size of the room. We'd arrived from over 30 hours of travel from Sydney and we opened the door and both literally laughed out loud for a few minutes. The room is so small, that the smaller than average double bed had been rotated side on, so at night you had to move your pillows around to the right side to sleep in it, and there's absolutely no storage room or walk space around the bed.

Also we had a view of a brick wall, and found the air conditioner pretty loud, although someone in the hallway said they were fixing that.

These things weren't deal breakers, and if you have realistic expectations, and value the location as highly as we did, and appreciate the price, then I think you should choose this place. If you need room, have kids, or are of a larger than normal size, you may want to rethink it. I'd say perfect for solos, OK for couples, but no more than that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Niki_8
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here three nights including new years eve, in a room with a private bathroom. You are greeted immediately upon entering the nicely decorated lobby ,and the staff is very friendly.

I asked for a room facing the street so I could have a nice view, all though the windows are double paned minimal noise does get through, I didn't mind it just depends if you are a heavy or light sleeper. The room was also very clean and well decorated.

The location of the hotel is perfect being right near Union Square. There are many restaurants and stores near by.

My overall impression of The Mosser Hotel was excellent, I will definitely be staying there next time I visit San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason_464
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed in a room with common bath. The location was fabulous (I was there to explore the city, and transportation to almost anywhere I wanted to go was within a 5 minute walk). Staff were very friendly and accommodating, and I enjoyed the Friday evening social hour with complimentary wine. All the basic hotel amenities I needed were available. Room and common bath were very clean, and I never needed to wait to use the bathroom. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank C C
Richmond, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here for 4 nights while he was at a conference across the street at the Marriott. We chose this hotel over the Marriott as the rates were more reasonable and it had good reviews. I'm glad we did! The location is central to downtown. Minutes away from all the shops and restaurants. The subway is just a short walk away. Though it was downtown, I felt safe walking and exploring at night. It's on a big street but we couldn't hear any noise with the windows closed and didn't have any issue sleeping at night.

We had a double room with a queen bed and private bath. The room was small but had all the essential things needed and it was very clean. The staff was helpful and the free breakfast (though simple) was good value.

Overall, a great alternative if you have a conference at the Marriott but don't want to pay the high rates just for a room.

Room Tip: It's worth it to pay a little bit more for a private bath.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple