“Location fabulous, not bad value, but miniature room” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #96 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Sydney
“Location fabulous, not bad value, but miniature room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Pros: The location was fantastic – for a first time visitor to the states, first stop San Francisco, this was a great central, safe, clean area, literally two minute's walk from the Bart stop (from the airport this was an extremely cheap and easy way to get to the hotel).

I actually would stay here again because of this fact, and because the cost wasn't bad (I wouldn't go so far as to say cheap, but reasonable if you research all the neighbouring hotels at the same quality).

I found the service fantastic, and helpful though – from the polite check in, where they offered to mind our luggage in a secure space as we were early, and also in suggesting a few good bars nearby, and on check out they suggested a car service that runs just out the front (this worked out a good $20 cheaper than flagging a cab too, by the way, and the driver was a lovely lady that had lots of good info on the area as well).

Cons: It has got a bit of a hostel vibe, although it's more of a mature clientele (not backpackers in dorm style, just more European hostel/pensione style) and we had a share bathroom, although that was actually very clean and there were two of them within a five second walk from our room, and we had no trouble having showers and using the loo whenever we wanted to. They are quite nice, self contained single shower and toilet cubicles, so it's not like you're sharing, or anyone can walk in, either.

The only breakfast offered was some muffins in the lobby each morning. A bit 'meh', but not a deal breaker.

The killer for us was the miniature size of the room. We'd arrived from over 30 hours of travel from Sydney and we opened the door and both literally laughed out loud for a few minutes. The room is so small, that the smaller than average double bed had been rotated side on, so at night you had to move your pillows around to the right side to sleep in it, and there's absolutely no storage room or walk space around the bed.

Also we had a view of a brick wall, and found the air conditioner pretty loud, although someone in the hallway said they were fixing that.

These things weren't deal breakers, and if you have realistic expectations, and value the location as highly as we did, and appreciate the price, then I think you should choose this place. If you need room, have kids, or are of a larger than normal size, you may want to rethink it. I'd say perfect for solos, OK for couples, but no more than that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Niki_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here three nights including new years eve, in a room with a private bathroom. You are greeted immediately upon entering the nicely decorated lobby ,and the staff is very friendly.

I asked for a room facing the street so I could have a nice view, all though the windows are double paned minimal noise does get through, I didn't mind it just depends if you are a heavy or light sleeper. The room was also very clean and well decorated.

The location of the hotel is perfect being right near Union Square. There are many restaurants and stores near by.

My overall impression of The Mosser Hotel was excellent, I will definitely be staying there next time I visit San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason_464
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed in a room with common bath. The location was fabulous (I was there to explore the city, and transportation to almost anywhere I wanted to go was within a 5 minute walk). Staff were very friendly and accommodating, and I enjoyed the Friday evening social hour with complimentary wine. All the basic hotel amenities I needed were available. Room and common bath were very clean, and I never needed to wait to use the bathroom. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank C C
Richmond, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here for 4 nights while he was at a conference across the street at the Marriott. We chose this hotel over the Marriott as the rates were more reasonable and it had good reviews. I'm glad we did! The location is central to downtown. Minutes away from all the shops and restaurants. The subway is just a short walk away. Though it was downtown, I felt safe walking and exploring at night. It's on a big street but we couldn't hear any noise with the windows closed and didn't have any issue sleeping at night.

We had a double room with a queen bed and private bath. The room was small but had all the essential things needed and it was very clean. The staff was helpful and the free breakfast (though simple) was good value.

Overall, a great alternative if you have a conference at the Marriott but don't want to pay the high rates just for a room.

Room Tip: It's worth it to pay a little bit more for a private bath.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mamaK5
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

When I first got here, you can't help but notice the large, open foyer. Check-in was quick and efficient. The clerks were very polite and throughout my stay, were always very accommodating. The hotel is an old Victorian style building. My room (which had common bath and shower) was comically small, however, the room was the perfect size for a single person in town for a conference or exploring the city. My room had a private sink, a small closet, comfortable and clean bed, and everything neatly arranged. Also, my room had absolutely no bed bugs which has been a problem in other areas of San Francisco. My room (4th floor) faced the street, and was only a little noisy with a window open. The minor annoyance was the bell which rang for oncoming cars from the neighbouring parking garage. Overall, I was very pleased with my stay, and slept very well in a clean bed with access to clean shower and toilet. Hotel staff were very polite and helpful. They recommended running routes an restaurants to me when I asked this of them. The location was very close to the Moscone Center and many downtown attractions. The (free) gym access was through the Marriott across the street which had an excellent gym facility. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you don't like small rooms or shared bath/shower, then pick a larger suite. If you're a d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank leonardicus
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Location is very good. In downtown, has subway stations close by, shopping stores and a couple of restaurants options.
The hotel itself is pretty clean and tidy. I stayed at the shared bathrooms and they were both clean. (Shower and bathroom are separated.) Staff was friendly, even when I said the card to open my room wasn't working. They also have laundry machines in case you need to wash some clothes.
Breakfast is pretty simple: coffee and muffins. It may not be much, but it's just enough to get you started on the day!
The bedrooms are quite tiny: it only fits the bed and a little sink at the corner. But if you're planning to stay the whole day out, it's just enough for you to crash and rest.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rymatsu
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Chose this place for the location just around the corner from where I had a meeting, and the reasonable pricing.

The room (shared bath queen) was just big enough to fit the bed, but nice and equipped with all the usual hotel amenities. The free wireless Internet worked well.

The window had good soundproofing, but because of the size of the room I had to leave the window open a bit. Glad I had a room on an upper floor and to the back (and not right next to one of the shared bathrooms).

The shared bathrooms were clean, and never occupied. Could be different when the hotel is fully booked, but it worked out well for me.

The staff was friendly. Used the computer in the lobby to print my boarding pass, and grabbed a muffin for breakfast on the way out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business