“Adorable hotel with Classic charm!!”
Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #99 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Dana Point, California
“Adorable hotel with Classic charm!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed at the Mosser for one night while in town & it is perfect. As others have posted the rooms are small but provide everything u need. Would not recommend staying for a long time at the hotel due to lack of storage space for luggage/clothes. But for a night or a weekend it is perfect!! Staff was extremely helpful & polite, even allowed us to check in at 10am, instead of the normal 3ish, because our room was ready.
Chose a room with a bath for the convenience but the shared bath would have been worked fine, they appeared clean and readily available. Room had the necessities and that's all I expect from a hotel room; a clean & safe place to lay my head.
Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone like me who doesn't like the big chains & enjoys some character!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank LASkeeter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed November 6, 2012

(travelled july 2011 but website win't let me go that far back!)

Staff were a little aloof, which surprised me as most customer facing staff in the US delivered exceptionally polite and friendly service.

The room was clean and the location was good- especially great for Annabelle's Bar and Grill next door, which does delicious food.

Room was often cold,radiator leaked. This never got fixed.

Beds were uncomfortable and ridiculously short- my friend and I are both below average height but our feet stuck out of the ends of our beds!

Sink was tiny, you had to crouch and get your head under the medicine cabinet to spit out your toothpaste else it went all over the floor.

Lots of noise from the street, especially from the posh hotel across the road; their doormen were constantly blowing whistles to hail cabs for their guests.

We christened the mornings Awkward Tea and Muffin Time, as you go and stand (possibly sit if you get there early enough, but unlikely as chairs are few) in the lobby and try to eat your teensy tasteless muffin and drink your tea/coffee from a flask in silence, avoiding eye contact with other guests who look equally uncomfortable. It's a very weird experience.

If you're not an early riser, you won't get either muffins or a drink, as they don't order many and don't check who's had what, so one guest might scoff 4 muffins and 3 others go without as a result.

I'd only stat again if my budget were very tight, it wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed but it wasn't my idea of a quality establishment.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 186356Lily
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Visiting SF for a conference at the Moscone Center. This hotel was reasonably priced and incredibly convenient. My room, however, was tiny - barely bigger than the bed. It was very clean and nicely appointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Rooms are small and compact, as expected in a hotel of this age. But they're clean and comfortable and the hotel is in a great location. One block from the cable car turnaround, two blocks from the hop on/hop off bus and a convenience store and large mall with restaurants just around the corner. Coffee and cupcake muffins do not really constitute a continental breakfast; but that aside, our stay was great.

Room Tip: Choose whatever room you prefer - private facilities at a little more; or shared facilities to save...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BalNardo
Southern California
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel to stay for their location. The building and rooms have huge potential for charm. I stayed for two nights. The hotel did not have the same level of rooms available at the time I made my reservations and I was told I would have to change rooms. I was told it is not a problem and I would not have to worry it would be smooth. At registration the attendant had me register for both nights - smart lady. I was told to bring my luggage down in the am. I brought my luggage down the next am to be told I might have to wait until after 3 to get a my key. Later I found they had several rooms available at the same level as my first night room. Did anyone think to see if I wanted to stay in my original room? It was not a comfortable stay having to pack twice and hang out to get another room.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LuvDZnee
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

First let me point out that this hotel was booked for me by work. Turned out to be not a bad hotel in a really good location just off Market St in downtown. Room was very small with nowhere to store anything, but had all necessities, was clean, and free wi-fi. Good bed so was able to recover from my flight easily enough. Would stay here again for a cheap good place in downtown San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mandnontour
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I thought I could save a few bucks ($90) by sharing the hall bath and toilet. What I did not take into account was the noise generated by the hall toilet diagonally across the hall from me, and the slamming of doors staring at 4am onward from people using the bathroom before an early morning flight. I was also across from the ice maker (room 501 for reference) which sounded like perpetual running water (not bad) until someone actually wanted ice. The room was surprisingly quiet of street noise with the double pane windows, but also quite warm- I has the ceiling fan going most of the time with the window open during the day. My brother was in a room with a private bath, but his sink was actually smaller than mine. The rooms are more like Europe- compact and efficient. It was fine for me, a single traveler, but my brother could only open his closet door about halfway before it hit the bed. My one complaint on the shared shower was that I would have liked my own bath mat to take in, as I did not like stepping onto someone else's wet floor mat. I was only there for two nights, so I'd say if you can tolerate the early morning flushers/door slammers, you can save a buck for a really nice dinner. I found everything stocked, and clean.

Room Tip: Check out the for plan (exposure to street vs alley) before you take the room if you can. Avoid the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo