“Great Value”

Hotel Abri
Ranked #51 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I spent three nights here on a business trip back to my former hometown. It was work-related and on my dime so I wanted to save some money. I choose this hotel because the price was right. Although the area around the hotel is crowded with tourists and a heavy number of panhandlers, it's super close to BART and Muni and all of the Union Square attractions, plus easy walking distance to the Financial District. I really enjoyed this hotel. It's a big, old building and I appreciated the way they've embraced the older elements of the hotel like the large stairs and wide hallways. My room on the 2nd floor was very large and very comfortable. It was pleasantly decorated and it and a decent bathroom and a table that was suitable for setting up my laptop and getting to work. I actually ended spending more time in the room than I intended to so I appreciated that it was comfortable and clean the television came with a full menu of cable channels. The lobby area was nice and the staff was friendly. This hotel pulls off being upscale and comfortable without being pretentious and at a really good price. I would recommend it and I think I would be stay there again. The only real downside is that there is not a gym. A good fitness center is a must for me. They do have an arrangement with a gym that's not so nearby but when you're traveling and you're busy and you need to workout, packing up a gym bag (if you have one) and going several blocks away to workout is not fun. But if that's not a major issue for you then the benefits here far outweigh any disadvantage.

1  Thank James J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,859)

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Front desk staff was great. Lobby area is quite nice.

Hotel rooms area is extremely outdated. Seems like I'm walking through an abandoned apartment building. The rooms are outdated as well. I suppose the main issue is the lobby gives off a completely different impression than what the room conditions are.

My main complaint is with housekeeping. I stayed for 5 nights and not once did I get a refill on soap/shampoo. Ya they cleaned up the room but no refills for 5 nights??? that's ridiculous. I'm sure I could have called to complain but I was way too busy to spend the time.

I'd suggest coming here only if the rates are extremely competitive.

Room Tip: Get something near the stairwell cause the elevator takes forever
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The abri hotel is a really nice hotel and the staff is really nice !! but it is next a dance club! so not really relaxing and didn't sleep very well. but i will recommend for only one night and help to enjoy the sf vibe.

1  Thank richelle_95120
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed there last week and it's a nice little hotel. Location is close to Market St, cable car, buses, and plethora of bars and restaurants. My room is like a city apartment and felt very homey as opposed to a hotel. So, that was nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. One of the staffs, Taylor, gave great recommendations to Thai and other restaurants in the area. Thanks, Taylor!! I will definitely stay at Hotel Abri again.

2  Thank Art T
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at Abri for three days during a visit to San Francisco. The location of the hotel was great. Wonderful rooms, good price and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay there again if I visit the city again.

Stayed March 2014.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ketlin5
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is the first time that I have stayed at this little hotel near Union Square.... And will no doubt use it again.

Wonderful rooms, good price and very friendly staff. Nicely appointed rooms with very comfortable beds....

As a number of people have mentioned, it can be a bit noisy but in the downtown it is hard to avoid that.... Ask for a room not facing the street.... It did not bother me.

Very centrally located.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ggcaiazzo
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night before a trip to Napa, and enjoyed our stay. For a first time in San Francisco, I thought this was a central location based on the reviews I had read. We were within walking distance to several restaurants and the original mason-powell cable car. After visiting Fisherman's Wharf, I'm still glad we chose the union square location as there is so much more to do in this area. The only downside/sad thing is lots and lots of homeless people in the area.

The room was small and I would compare it to the size of many New York hotel rooms; however, we were hardly in the room at all. The bed was really comfy and the bathroom/shower were a good size. There was also a large closet in the room. The only complaint was there was a musty smell on our floor/in our room. We requested a courtyard facing room and it was really quiet at night. If you're driving, just valet park for $40 if you don't want to deal with looking for a parking space/garage. There was one nearby but it was worth it to valet.

We ate at the restaurant Puccini & Pinetti connected to the hotel and had some delicious pizza and drinks. Great choice after a long day of walking around to have some place so convenient. We also appreciated having an umbrella to borrow for the rainy day!

Overall a great stay for a first time in San Fran!

Room Tip: request a courtyard facing room for a more quiet room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple