“A Solid 3 1/2 "Good" but not "Very Good"” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Abri

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Abri
Ranked #46 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“A Solid 3 1/2 "Good" but not "Very Good"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Giving The Abri 4 stars feels a bit too generous and 3 like I am cheating them a bit.. The Hotel itself is the epitome of Boutique. Only 5 stories with about 10 rooms a floor.. It is kind of cool to take the stairs because I think there are 3 different stairwells depending on the floor.. the rooms are small, but nice, with all of the amenities (Mini fridge unstocked, flat screen ipod dock phone chargers, etc.. . Bathrooms are nice but also small, stand up shower, but room for 2. If they offer you a room with a view or a more quite room without... TAKE the quiet room. We opted for a view, which was not much of one due to the small windows and the fact that you just look across the street... The street noise was very noticeable.. I can do cars, ambulances and the normal big city noises, but this was excessive due to the thin windows and loud people (The occasional nutbag walking down the street yelling at ghosts, and the people from the nightclub across the street..) That said, San fran is pricey, but the Abri comes close to the 200.00 a night mark and the location is fantastic. 10-15 minute walk to the Moscone center, less than 5 minutes to Union Square central. 1 block to powell street Bart station. (Bart costs about $8 to and from the airport. and takes about 40 minutes each way)

Room Tip: Go for an Inside "Quiet room" Not much a view to be had anyway and street noise is very l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I was surprised how nice this little hotel was. came here for 4 days for a conference. close walking distance to Moscone center as well as local shopping areas around union square. I had read some reviews that the rooms facing the street are noisy so when we first checked in, we requested a quiet room. our room was nicely appointed but quite small, like some small european hotels we've been in. we asked the front desk if we might change rooms to something different, and they were fabulous in accommodating us and even gave us an upgrade! three cheers for friendly service oriented front desk staff.
One minor downside: it is an upgraded older building and there are individual room air conditioning units only and you'll have to adapt to the constant sound. Room was otherwise very quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was in a great location, close to public transport, shops, restaurants, and not far from MoMA SF, Union Sq, and Chinatown. It was clean with a lot of storage space, which was great for me, as I was there a whole week and having plenty of space for my things was a nice surprise. The bed was really comfy, though a bit soft for me, as I like a little less pillow top. Cool decor too.

I wasn't so excited about the hotel upon arrival, as I had a long journey from the east coast (with two suitcases, purse, and carry-on for my two-week west coast trip) and really wanted a bellman to greet me at the door - and there wasn't one. I think it was the hour that I arrived though, as it was almost midnight that night when I finally got to the hotel. there was a bellman there in the morning when I went out in the late morning, but I could have used the help when I arrived! The first staff member I met wasn't the friendliest/most helpful, but the staff during the rest of the week made up for it.

Overall, a great trip and I would stay there again next time.

Room Tip: I stayed on the street side - on the top floor - and it was a bit noisy at times. I didn't have...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We picked this hotel over the Hilton Union Square as we thought it would be a nice little boutique hotel. Service was ok but we were very disappointed with size of the room. The bathroom was also tiny compared to the average American hotel room. We were on the 4th floor facing the club across the road so there was a lot of noise from the street which could be heard through the uninsulated windows. The walls are also paper thin - we could hear drunk people returning to their rooms. We stayed only 1 night and checked out the next morning to move to the Hilton ... much better over here!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ashwood123
RobBrehant, General Manager at Hotel Abri, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Ashwood123-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at the Hotel Abri. I’m sorry that you found the hotel rooms small and noisy. Our building was built in 1907 and like the majority of boutique hotels here in SF, do have smaller rooms than the larger and more recently built “big box” hotels. Our rooms are on the cozy side, but we do also have 28 suites, which are two separate rooms, with a door that can be closed between the bedroom and living rooms, for those seeking more space. The majority of our rooms are on the inside, off the street and are very quiet. I’m sorry that you were in a room on the outside. My team tries to be very transparent about the street noise, and offer either rooms facing out with a bit of a City view or rooms on the inside that do not have a view at all, but are much quieter. I do apologize if this was not explained to you. I have an amazing team and as a boutique hotel, we really do try to provide a personal level of service that really impacts the experience of San Francisco for each and every one of our guests. It is always disappointing for me to have an unhappy guest, especially one from an amazing City, such as Melbourne! I hope that overall you had a great time in San Francisco, and that you would possibly consider returning to the Hotel Abri when you next travel to SF!

Yours in hospitality-
Rob Brehant, General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Had a suite, which was roomy and well-equipped. Location was fantastic. Staff were helpful. Street noise was the only concern but turning on the fans in the AC units drowned it out. There was no hotel bar or restaurant but there are many nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TravelMad1983
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights as a couple. It's a nice hotel in a good, central location just a couple of blocks from union square. The lobby and rooms are decorated in nice, modern tones and the attached Italian restaurant and bar is lovely. I was pregnant when we checked in and we were given. Disabled access room which gave us a lot more room than the normal ones, we had a table and chairs, large bathroom and plenty of room for our luggage. Only downside to our stay was that on the first night we got stuck in the lift for almost an hour. To compensate us the hotel offered us either fe drinks at the bar (not much use to a pregnant woman!) or a meal but we weren't really taken by either. Instead we compromised and they booked and paid for a town car to take us to the airport upon departure.
Hotel is an easy walk to Union Square and the cable car stop on Market. The area is quite touristy but even so it it is on the edge of the Tenderloin and there were a few dodgy characters around in the evening, but it seems like this is the same everywhere in San Francisco.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was in SF for a conference and Hotel Abri was the ideal choice. The location was perfect! The wifi worked great, the coffee in the morning was very welcoming. The rooms on the street are really noisy and you can hear everything from the street/ club across the road. I quickly moved to a quieter room. It was very compact and a bit too tiny, but I made do. It was always clean and had everything I needed. Maybe less furniture would actually make the room easier to maneuver around.
The doormen are fantastic and very helpful. The only constructive compliant I can make is the Front Desk lady was very unhelpful and actually rude. She never welcomed us into the lobby and actually ignored us a few times. She ignored us to the point that I was able to follow her gaze to the computer and see that she was on gmail chat. Needless to say, she was a bit distracted for her guests.
Overall, I would recommend Hotel Abri for those seeking a quick trip into the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business