“They win with service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“They win with service”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband, 4 year old, and I stayed at the Hotel Abri from Oct 11-14, 2012. The staff at this hotel were beyond 5 star with their service. They were helpful, honest, and really went out of their way to make sure you had what you needed. My daughter was taken with Tyler at the front, in particular! Aside from the service, the boutique hotel was fine. We had an urban suite, which had ample room. The two window units kept the place cool, and the curtains kept out enough light. My only complaint, and I mean ONLY complaint, was that the bathroom door was a sliding door, did not lock, and was frosted glass. If you have kids, you know that sometimes your only solitude can come from the few moments you get in the bathroom. My daughter had a grand time putting her face up to the glass and letting us know she was well aware we were in there, and I am thankful she never realized she could actually open the door. My husband would probably say that he didn't care for the fact that sometimes during the day you could smell Subway from downstairs in our room (on the 2nd floor), but we weren't in there much, and it was minor. The hotel was very convenient to the cable car that took you to the Wharf, as well as the BART and other public transport. There was AMPLE shopping in the area too. All in all, I'd recommend this hotel, mainly to people traveling without small kids. LOL

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Great hotel - loved staying here with my girlfriend. Perfect location for all of the shops and restaurants. Ideal location for jumping on the Cable Car, right next to Bart station and main bus routes. So glad stayed in the centre rather than Fisherman's Wharf.
Hotel and staff were great - just what we were after. Staff were so helpful and cheerful - anything we asked of them, they delivered. The room was great as well - although I would say that they did try to put too much furniture in our room for the size of it (no need for desk), apart form that it was clean, tidy and fresh.

Room Tip: Just ask to see the room before you sign on the dotted line.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Temple, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Loved this hotel! My friends and I were in town for the Nike Women's Marathon and were excited by the convenience of being so centrally located. Because we'd read reviews, we knew to ask for an interior room to avoid 'street' noise. I wasn't expecting it to be too much quieter, but you honestly couldn't hear a thing. The staff was absolutely wonderful. They answered each of our questions, recommended great places for breakfast and dinner, set out coffee and bananas for the early morning marathoners, and were (seemingly :) happy to do it. Loved the restaurant next door (great happy hour- nice place to start the evening- and they let you take your drinks upstairs to your room).
We stayed in a suite, and I hear the pull-out bed was comfortable. There was also plenty of seating and light in the room (for three guests) which you don't find in most hotels.
The hotel was clean, quiet, friendly and accommodating and there just wasn't anything else I could have asked for.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room to avoid street noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The staff alone was cool and accomodating enough to make me want to stay there every time I return. The location was very central to lots of great shopping and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable. No complaints!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have stayed in several hotels in San Francisco for business and always in the same area so that I can get to my office. Sadly, there seems to be a major problem with homelessness here. I'm always staggered by the sheer numbers of people sleeping on the streets. Hotel Abri is on one of several streets in the area that are right on the border between the most affluent, tourist-fed area and an area with many homeless people.
This isn't a problem for a hotel guest, but it's worth being aware that coming out of the hotel and turning right, you realise you're in a prime location for getting around the heart of the city, access to public transport, shops, etc etc while turning left (which I always have to do to get to work) you're passing through an area where a lot of people are sleeping on the streets, begging, asking you for things etc.

Note - this isn't anything to do with Abri, but some people seem to want to pretend that this isn't a reality of the city, so it's worth being aware of it if you're that way inclined.

The beauty of Abri is its location. If you're in SF for a holiday, you shouldn't be holed up in a hotel anyway. From here, you can get to Market street, take the Muni to the Embarcadero for $2, visit China Town etc.

I tried room service once, but it comes up from a busy street-facing bar/restaurant and I felt like I was bothering them, which put me off ordering again. Bear in mind that this area kicks off at the weekend, so if you're looking for a quiet dinner, you won't be eating at the restaurant attached to the hotel. It's a bar as well as a restaurant and not a quiet one. You will hear street noise, so if you're delicate in this regard, you may want to talk to the staff about where the rooms face.

The hallway smells unpleasant but the rooms are fine (I was in an Urban Suite). They're clean and roomy and the beds are comfortable. Staff at reception are pleasant.

While not blown away by this hotel (I think it's the lack of a quieter dining area for guests), I will probably stay here again on my next trip - it's clean and convenient, which is the main plus for me on a business trip.

Room Tip: Room 315 is a corner Urban Suite - decent light and room. The bigger parlour window faces Ellis str...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Abri. The location was great-near lots of shopping,restaurants,1 block from the cable car stop and bus stops. Comfortable bed and modern decor. The rooms look much bigger online, but I guess that's to be expected staying downtown. The price was great for staying in San Francisco. Our room looked out on to the street so there was definitely a noise issue(I just wore ear plugs). Overall: very friendly hotel staff, great location, clean rooms. We would stay again on a return trip.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed for a weekend, and this hotel fit perfectly.

Location: Union Square; close proximity to eateries and shops; didn't have to walk far for anything; the neighborhood is relatively bustling even at 1am so we had no qualms about walking to grab a bite to eat after midnight (of course, common sense and caution should always prevail)

Hotel/Room: Rooms are on the petite side but very comfortable and cute; boutique feel, almost European; shower was tight tho - one at a time here and don't move too fast; there is no parking lot but there's some type of parking arrangement with a local lot - don't know anything abt that since SF is very walkable and we didn't rent a car

Staff: Super friendly staff; the valet went out of his way to hail us a cab - literally walked around the corner and crossed the street instead of just standing in front of the hotel - big kudos for that; more accomodating and personable than many large hotels, esp with directions and recommendations

Bottom Line: I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends