“OK hotel with good location”

San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Ranked #59 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 2, 2008

A good location to Fisherman's Warf area is definitely the big plus of this hotel. The hotel itself is a big run down in areas. I found the staff hot or cold - some staff was really nice and helpful while others (like the omlete guy at the breakfast buffet and one of the front desk workers) were downright surly. Rooms are well equiped with coffee maker, robes, nice toiltries, iron and a TV. Daily internet charge is a pain and should be included in the price. Workout facilities were quite nice and clean. Daily valet parking was a bit steep at $40/day, but was reliable and fairly quick. The breakfast buffet was pretty low quality and uninspiiring (basic danish, toast, cereal, eggs, fruit, etc.) for the price and the variety did not change much daily which is a bit dull if you are staying a few nights. Not a bad hotel, but a bit low for Marriott standards.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed December 20, 2007

I'll start with the positives: this is a great location close to all San Francisco's best attractions. Within walking distance to convenience stores, museums, Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, cable car stops, and downtown.

My problem here was bad service which I complained about all the way to Marriott Corporate. Our entire stay, the front desk was manned maybe once the whole time. Had payment problems (not our problem, and not one we ever experienced at another Marriott) at check-in which were compounded by a rude clerk.

Cell phones would not work in building, which was nobody's fault. But when our family tried to contact us by calling the hotel number, though, nobody would answer the phone to patch them through for our entire trip just about! We had a death of a friend while we were staying here... we did not know about it because our family could not get anyone at the hotel to answer the phone!!

Had I not been interested in collecting my Marriott Rewards points, we would have got a refund and checked into the Holiday Inn across the street. We actually contemplated it, and talked to the Holiday Inn staff (who were much nicer) but decided to tough it out since it was just a 4-day trip.

Not a fun anniversary though. I really LOVE Marriott – usually – but this property was horrendous simply because of the staff. Maybe it has changed since then, or was just an isolated string of coincidences, but I would not recommend this hotel based on my experience.

This place was so bad, I even talked about it in a blog, LOL

Just my two cents.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VirtualBizWeb
Reviewed December 12, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The room was very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. The location is very convenient to many activities and San Franciscos famous modes of transportation. Although, you are able to walk to many places because of the convenient location. The consierge and many other employees were friendly and helpful. Upon returning to San Francisco we will certainly consider staying at this hotel again. Oh, the price was right also!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2007

This hotel was really nice with a great location. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed the fact that the hotel was completely non-smoking. The most enjoyable, however, was the concierge--John. He assisted us in booking all of our tours (6 total) and they were great. We were picked up in the lobby for all of them which was extremely convenient. We would definitely stay there again. We had a great time!!!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed November 28, 2007

The only reason why I have not rated this hotel "excellent" is because it is not smack in the center of happening place. Living in this hotel you would definitely feel a much relaxed type of atmosphere. Don't expect it be like what you would see in a downtown area "young kids roaming around till late".
If you want the local culture feeling, I highly recommend you stay at Fisherman's Wharf. Lots of local little cafes around to eat breakfast/brunch/lunch. Hardly any bars around. However, walk to Little Italy (only few blocks) and you will find slew of strip clubs, resturants, and few bars. Chinatown is also right around the cornor from Little Italy. If you want the feeling of Michigan Ave area of Chicago, with high end stores around, stay at Union Square or downtown hotels. However, at Fisherman's Wharf, you will find enough street parking for FREE and won't have to pay the hotel so much money for parking. The breakfast at this hotel is not bad at all...good food, good price. If you get a nice server, she may even provide some food for free. She waived off part of the charge for our brunch. This hotel will literally provide you with town's map and draw your walking route for you. They are overly helpful and nice staff. I loved them all very much.

The hotels service is definitely the best ever I have experienced. The concierge literally spent 1/2 hr with me on 2 occasions to help me figure out what I could do on my vaccation. He even looked up a resturant's menu for me (me being vegetarian) and called the resturant to make a reservation for me. The hotel carries free chargers for ton of cell phones so if you ever forget your charger, talk to them. I lost my camera in a cab on the trip and I had notified the hotel to see if I can check survialance tapes to track things down. The next morning literally all employees seemed to know and I became the celebrity.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2007

The room was clean, equipped with coffee maker, iron board, tv, internet access (their wireless business rate was $ 12.95/day), hairdryer in the bathroom etc
They have a breakfast buffet with everything from fresh fruit to toast, pastries, muffins, breakfast potatoes, eggs benedict, bacon, sausage etc etc

If you wanna spend some time near Fisherman's Wharf, it's ideally located, just two blocks away. To go downtown, you can catch the bus #30 (Stockton) across the street, which will drop you off exactly at the hotel entrance on your way back.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mandy7162
Reviewed October 27, 2007

what can i say great bedding like sleeping on a cloud.excellent location everything on your doorstep.resonably priced would defineatly reccomend

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple