“International Class Hotel”

Taj Campton Place
Ranked #5 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I must confess this booking was an exercise in nostalgia as much as anything else - I stayed in this hotel while in college, with my late parents, 17 years ago when it was still a Kempinski property, and wanted to see what it would be like, especially given an attractive rate on hotels.com. I, like other reviewers, had stayed in other downtown SF properties and found many of them wanting in some crucial aspect (room size, service, etc).

The rooms and floorplate were from an earlier era, when luxury hotel rooms (and some of the people staying in them!) were not so big. However, I was curious to see whether my fond memories of a stay long ago were justified.

When I arrived, the doormen smartly attended to my baggage, and escorted me to the front desk, where there was no line. I was given a room key. I suppose because I'd booked on hotels.com perhaps I was not given a particularly choice room, on the 2nd floor overlooking the street, and not far from a function room where a party was being held. The noise from the hallway was noticeable but as a sound sleeper at that point on east coast time, it did not prevent me from dreamless sleep. The insulation from street noise, thankfully, was almost complete and unnoticeable.

The room itself was smallish but tastefully decorated, with attractive lighting, cozy bathrobes and linens, and a modern bathroom with some nice Molton Brown toiletries. With a nod to high Asian service standards and amenities, it offered complimentary shoe shine service, of which I availed myself.

Early next morning I hit the gym, which is open 24 hours. The room itself is not large or impressive (it is something of an insulated tent on a higher floor) but it had all the latest equipment and was equal to my needs. Without winter outdoor workout gear I certainly had no intention of going outside for my run!

The service quality overall was excellent, and of an international standard. It also offered all the services you would expect of an internatonal hotel despite the small size of the property. The location is pretty unbeatable, you could even take the subway to the hotel from the airport. I would stay again, although I probably wouldn't be willing to pay the rack rate.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2011

Dear Public Dave,

What a lovely reviewer you are! Complimentary words are especially meaningful when they come from someone who has made 130 contributions to TripAdvisor and who is obviously and expect on hotels.

You are correct in thinking our largest rooms do not go to guests who pay the lowest rates. However, all our guests receive the same in-room amenities: Molton Brown toiletries, quality linens, tasteful decor. And everyone who enters our doors receives the same quality of hospitality and eager service.

Thank you for your endorsement.

Reviewed December 18, 2010

Stayed at the Taj Campton Place in San Francisco in September (appologies for the delayed review) and was seriously impressed. I have been to San Francisco many times and been underwhelmed by the various hotel I have tried in the past. I had not heard of the Taj Campton Place but our company had a corporate rate that was extremely reasonable and so after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor I booked it.

Location is first class, right on Union Square and steps from the Cable Cars, shopping area's etc. The service from the minute I walked into the hotel to the time I checked out was superb. Nothing was too much trouble. I mentioned on night that I was hosting adinner for 20 customers at a restaurant on the Embarcadero on the Thursday night, and without requesting this the concierge confirmed the booking for me and left a note and message advising this was done - amazing!! One morning I had to leave my quickly and left clothes scattered around the room, when I returned these were all neatly folded and placed together on my bag, as I said the service was amazing throughout the entire stay.

The rooms are excellent, although not that big they are large enough for a couple, and really how much time do you spend in the hotel, especially in San Francisco!! The quality of the fittings etc of the rooms are first class and are a high quality.

I dined at the restaurant only for breakfast and it was really nice, again great service and good qualitty food.

After about 15 trips to San Francisco I have finally found a hotel in a great location, at a great price, with extremely nice rooms and with service you experience rarely (especially in Australia), I have found a hotel that I will come back to, and will be in mid February. I look forward to my next stay!!

The rooms aren't huge, but really well appointed. The bathroom was also very nive and well laid out.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

Thank you for your very kind words. We agree we have the best location in the city—walking distance to nearly everything (especially shopping!), but it’s wonderful to hear when we wowed someone with the quality of our service, such as you received from the concierge and the housekeeping room attendant. It means a lot to them when they learn their extra touches have been appreciated enough to be noteworthy and we have passed on your kind remarks to them. Thank you again.

As your company has a corporate account, we hope you have the opportunity to visit us in San Francisco soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2010

Had always heard thisnwas a gem in the city but had heard it had gotten tired and was not run well. Well that is not true. This is an elegant, sophisticated property for those who like tasteful decor and don't want the crowds of larger properties. Our room is immaculate, beautifully appointed and very comfortable. This hotel has the best location of all hotel properties if you would like to be able to walk to shopping, restaurants and sightseeing.
A+ location, staff and decor. Rates are reasonable compared to the four seasons, ritz-Carleton, st. Regis. Love this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2010

Dear La Jolla,

Thank you for the excellent report card! Your words are music to this innkeeper’s ears. We are genuinely interested in our guests’ impressions and truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience. We were pleased to find your stay was pleasant and comfortable and hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed December 3, 2010

Wonderfully quiet room and comfortable bed. Location good, staff very helpful. Would definitely stay again if in San Francisco.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelmaster

Dear Travelmaster,

As you have made 43 contributions to TripAdvisor, you surely must know your hotels and I thank you for your very kind words about Taj Campton Place. We truly do try to ensure the comfort of our guests and it us a pleasure to learn when we have succeeded. Thank you.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

The overall experience at the Campton Place was excellent. The location cannot be beat, service overall was excellent, room was kept immaculate. We stayed on the 7th floor facing Stockton Street and it was remarkably quiet.
The only disappointment was the Concierge. Three or four days prior to our arrival I called to ask what tours might be operating on Thanksgiving Day. Concierge said she would check and call me back. She NEVER did. When I arrived and mentioned it to her she just said: not many tours are running on that day. Not sure what kind of answer this is. Actually I did my own research and had a great tour experience on that day and there were several options. Her lack of follow-through, attention and caring was a big disappointment and not in line with the quality of the rest of what we experienced during our stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2010

We are genuinely interested in your concerns and truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience for all our guests. While we were pleased to read your many positive comments, we very much regretted reading of your disappointment with our concierge who is generally most efficient and most conscientious with genuine desire to enhance our guests’ experience. I have spoken with her about her lack of follow up in your case and we both ask that you accept our sincere apologies for our lapse in hospitality and service. We were however, pleased to see your stay was otherwise pleasant and comfortable and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

Great hotel, small, easy to get around. Great location - great gym, lovely people. Small but efficeint room - lovely!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2011

Thank you for your positive comments to TripAdvisor. It’s always a pleasure to learn when we’ve made our guests happy and provided a serendipitous experience. We are delighted you liked us well enough to say, “I will stay here again!” and we look forward with pleasure to having you.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

The orther reviews are all accurate -- the place is a great hotel. The rooms are reasonably sized and certainly comfortable. The staff is truly amazing - -they can do anything for you. The location 1 block from Union Sq. is perfect. Many taxi drivers have never heard of it -- just tell them that it is across the street from the Hyatt at Union Sq. As for the value -- well -- I am not so sure. The place has an absurd Internet charge and more absurd parking charge. But at least these charges are told to you up front. What really irked me was that we used their coffee maker in the room each morning (really bad news coffee -- and how to work the coffee maker was ridiculous -- and the instructions seemingly were written in some other language or for some other coffee maker). But then the shocker was that on check out, they added 42$ for coffee and tea service. That's ridiculous. You're already paying top dollar for this place, why do they have to cheat you out of 42$ more for coffee.

My advice is -- if you stay there -- ask what added charges there are -- who knows, they may start to charge for the use of the toilet.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2010

Tomscottsdaleaz
“surprise charge on my bill--$42 for coffee!”

Whew, at least you admitted the Taj Campton Place is a great hotel. I am truly sorry that you were not aware of the charge for coffee—premium espresso in the room. This is not your usual hotel coffee. I also regret that you were not told at check in that we offer complimentary coffee in the bar from 6 – 8 a.m.

Parking is always expensive in a downtown area and very much so in downtown San Francisco. Our charges are in line with those of other hotels and less than many. We generally tell our out-of-town guests about the excellent public transportation system for getting around in the city and suggest they rent cars only when going further afield north to the wine country or south to the Monterey Peninsula.