“Good but not Great” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Dawgfan
“Good but not Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here, but I'm reviewing this hotel based upon it's status as a 5 star hotel. If this were a lesser ranked hotel it would get 5 stars from me. The room was nice, but quite small. It was also loud with the co-joined room, presumably because the interior door had about an inch of clearance from the floor. We could almost make out whole conversations from our neighbors. You had to pay for the internet daily, which I personally don't care for when I'm paying that much for a room. And the "business center" consisted of one old desktop hooked to a printer, for which there was a line waiting to use it.

The good: the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was outstanding, right in union square. The breakfast was amazing. All in all, we enjoyed it, but there's still some room to grow to get 5 start status. For the right price we would stay here again, but not for full price.

• 5 of 5 stars
Ashrafi M, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Dawgfan22,

Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. We are continuously striving for perfection and the practice of perfect hospitality, so we thank you for your feedback. We will follow up with the necessary parties so that we can prevent this experience from happening again.

We hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the near future. We hope that we have the opportunity to leave you with a five-star impression of Taj Campton Place.

Ashrafi Matcheswala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Juan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This was quite a small hotel compared to the large chain hotels in the city. Perfectly situated near Union Square, shops and restaurants all in easy walking distance. Really friendly reception staff and excellent concierge here giving exceptional directions and advise on places to eat.
Well equipped modern very clean rooms, but there was one criticism !
The breakfast was very inflexible with requests, and the breakfast staff difficult, and service very slow, not an enjoyable start to the day! I was disappointed with this, and it did make breakfast expensive. But the restaurant there in the evening was brilliant! Fabulous Indian cuisine, service staff and menu. I would highly recommend having breakfast out and dinner in. That was my only criticism from an otherwise great stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Janice J,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is a pleasure to read the experiences of our recent guests who have stayed at our hotel. We thank you for highlighting our location and friendly service.

We will give your feedback to our Food and Beverage Department. We strive for perfection, and we thank you for voicing your concerns so that we can continue to make changes that will better serve our guests.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This hotel had an excellent location next to Union Square and Market Street with well known shops such as Macys and Bloomingdales etc in easy walking distance. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and efficient, always friendly and welcoming. The food in the hotel was excellent , especially the Indian themed dinner we had on Sunday. The ensuite room was very comfortable and quiet.

• 5 of 5 stars
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, October 14, 2015
Dear Janis M,

Thank you for your excellent reiew of Taj Campton Place. We are loking forward to your next stay with us.

Warm regards
Tel 415-781-5555
ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.com
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Where do I start? Most of the people there were so friendly. From the doormen, to the front desk agents, to some of the concierge agents, I was really impressed. I was very nervous to stay at the hotel because some of the reviews I read about the hotel overall.

Perfect location, literally a block away from Union Square. Throughout our stay, it took us less than a minute, and we were right at the park. You would be surprised how far you can get in San Francisco on foot. It was also five minutes away from Market Street, where the infamous F line can take you all the way to Fisherman's Wharf.

Now, for the one star deduction. I felt very insulted by the male concierge attendant that was assisting us the final day we were there. The female concierge was very friendly, and helped me book my San Francisco tour. The male concierge on the other hand, I could have done without. I felt very insulted by the way he talked to me. I went down the day before to double check on the times of the tour, and the areas that they pick up the tourists. I mean, it's always good to double check, correct? I asked him a question, and I felt as if he was very disinterested, and gave me a snarky comment. It's as if he thought I was "stupid", and being in the hospitality industry myself, I expected a little more professionalism from him.

Other than that, the hotel was perfect. The complaints of the noise that many people talk about was non-existent. Elevators were fast, and lobby smelled amazing. The view was not an issue at all, because you're in San Francisco. Get out of your hotel, and do some exploring. Finally, the hotel gave me a Four Seasons feel to it. Very luxurious.

Stayed August 18-20

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Dear stanleybased,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to read that you had a great experience that our hotel. Our location is a highlight that many of our guests enjoy, so we are delighted to read that you enjoyed it as well.

We will follow up with our Concierge team. Please accept our sincerely apologies. It is never okay for any of our guest to feel that way when interacting with one of the staff members in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay in the near future.

warm Regards,
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

If travelling on business, which I was the hotel is superbly located almost on the Union Square. Found the hotel functional, efficient but found it lacking the hospitality one is used to at the Taj in India which was a prime reason to pick the property. If in SF on business, its value, if you are here as a family or on holiday, there are better places to pick from.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, October 15, 2015
Dear adhru,

Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel. I am happy to note that you find it to be a good business hotel. We are looking forwatrd to your future stay with us.

Warm regards
Tel 415-781-5555
ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.com
Wilmington,DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

This hotel is comfortable, conveniently located to the city center and financial district and is unpretentious. Only complaint is that the bathroom (which is gorgeous) doesn't have a proper shower cubicle and water sprays all over the floors while showering.
WiFi cost is also outrageous - $15 per device per day

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
1 Thank JonnyNew
Dear JonnyNew,

Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you found our hotel to be comfortable, and convenient for your business needs.

We will send your feedback to our engineering department, and see if there is a way in which we can prevent future guests from experiencing what you had. In addition, we kindly note that we are making adjustments to our WiFi accessibility policy so that we can better serve our guests.

We hope that you come back and stay with us again in the near future. Hopefully it is for leisure, and not just business.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I'll start by saying that I got a great deal through a third party, so I ended up paying around $170/night for a weekend stay in July. At that rate I was very satisfied given the room rates in San Francisco. I think I would be significantly less impressed if I was paying the posted rates which appeared to be anywhere from $250-350/night.

The room: The room was perfect for a couple, can't imagine it would be as comfortable for a family. Small by any other standards, but normal for a hotel in the city. We had a California King bed which was extremely comfortable, the pillows were great, the sheets were perfect. The bathroom was decent sized, lots of counter space, and a walk in shower (which I much prefer over a tub shower). We did not have a view of anything special but it was a lovely and typical urban view. I really did feel like it was a room of quality as opposed to many of the large chain hotel rooms. The room was also surprisingly quiet given all the noise of the city outside.

Service: The service was exceptional. We really did feel genuinely welcomed. The staff went out of their way multiple times to make us comfortable. I also really appreciated the turn down service, which is seemingly insignificant, but one of those touches that reminds me why we all love staying in hotels.

Hotel/Location: If you want to be in the center of the touristy area of San Francisco, this is the area to be in! This hotel is less than one block from Union Square and the peripheral shops and restaurants that fill this area. Great access to everything.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to a friend, and definitely consider staying here again for the right price. I won't diminish my experience here solely off the room rate, but if you're thinking of staying here and looking at a $250+ room rate I would say you might be able to have a similar or better experience elsewhere.

Complaint: I think my biggest complaint would be the lack of free wifi. Like REALLY? A hotel regularly charging $200+ per night should have the wifi budgeted in. I realize the ~$12/day wifi rate is chump change but it really just leaves guests feeling nickeled and dimed, regardless of how wealthy you are.

Dear ChristopherTravel3,

Thank you for spending the time to write a review about Taj Campton Place. We thank you for highlighting that you will overall recommend our hotel to your friends, and that you enjoyed our rooms, location, and service. It is an honor to read that you would stay with us again.

We apologize that you were displeased with our WiFi policy. We want to assure you that we are making adjustments to our WiFi policy to better serve our guests.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.