WINNER WONDERLAND

Taj Campton Place
Ranked #7 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Northern California
“Great location and experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

You really can't ask for a better location in the heart of Union Square. Excellent service, really friendly staff, super comfortable bed and the room was very well appointed. I think with a smaller property like this you receive a more personalized level of service - every time we walked in or our, a staff member greeted us. The room while not large, was very well appointed and had a nice feeling of luxury. I loved the Molton Brown products.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, October 15, 2015
Dear glb1205,

Thank you for your excellent review of Taj Campton Place. We are looking forward to your next visit to our hotel.

ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed here for just one night on work. The exterior and the lobby of the hotel don't really reflect the true charm of the hotel. In think these two areas need an upgrade.

The room was nice as was the bathroom. Nice Molten Brown amenities - always helps! The view was nothing to write home about as the hotel is in the heart of downtown SF so if you want to be in the thick of it, this is the place to be. All the top brand names have their shops around the hotel and there are plenty of restaurants too.

I would stay here again purely bec of the location and the staff who we were very polite and helpful. What one would expect from a Taj Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ashrafi M, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear vman63,

Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. It is an honor to read all of the kind feedback that our guests share with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our room, bathroom, and our Molton Brown bathroom amenities.

We are indeed in the heart of San Francisco's downtown, off of Union Square. We hope that even though you only stayed with us for one night, that you were able to leisurely shop at all of the top brands. In addition, we are proud to have a top-notch team, who are all committed to the practice of perfect hospitality.

We hope that you return for your next stay in San Francisco - hopefully it will be for leisure, and not business. Till then.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went on to stay at the Taj after six days at the Four Seasons on Market street and it took some adjusting to being in a boutique hotel. We had read the reviews before hand, but as we are members of The leading Hotels of the world trusted that it would be of a high standard. Just a note re this membership, it is superb and the benefits absolutely make joining a must! We had a deluxe double which was on the small ish side, but beautifully appointed. The bathroom likewise, but you had to climb up some steps into the bath to turn the tap on as it was impossible to reach round the shower screen and I am 6ft 4. This made bath temperature difficult as you had to then climb back in to adjust or turn the taps off. A bit of a design fault! The staff were fabulous and made you feel very at home. Room service was delicious and good value and the hotel is perfectly placed for Union square top notch shopping. All in all no complaints, but I do think expensive in comparison to the Other five star hotels in the city for accommodation and facilities.

Room Tip: I would opt for the basic room as these looked very small.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Neil D,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

This was our first time staying at the Taj Campton and were very pleased with the location and over all service. The rooms are small but that seems typical for San Francisco but the beds were amazingly comfortable ( I am a big "bed" person!!). My only gripe is that when you are paying around $500 per night for a room (that includes all the extra "charges" that magically appear on your bill at checkout), they could a least include the in-room coffee for free. Overall, A very nice place to stay!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ashrafi M, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear samcow1,

We are thrilled to hear that you chose to stay with us for the first time. Thank you for highlighting our location, and our great rooms. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next stay with us.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed for four nights at this hotel as of May 1. First may I say that the staff is extremely attentive and friendly and try very hard to make you feel welcome from the porter, Concierge , Carlos, who was very knowledgable and helpful, the young ladies at the front desk and the staff at the restaurant, not to forget how meticulous the housekeeping staff was everyday. However my complaint is the size of the room at the tariff charged (keeping in mind that I realize that San Francisco is generally a beautiful but very expensive city). The restricted room space could have been compensated by the removal of the oversized chaise lounge at the end of the bed. The location near Union Square is ideal.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Yveline Q,

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

Immaculate hotel with nice design and friendly staff, but quirky aspects keep it from being a typical 4-star experience. A long review follows.

My benchmark for comparison is a recent stay at the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta, which cost half as much and delivered a superior experience. While I have stayed at a Taj property previously (New Delhi, a positive experience), that was 15 years ago and not in a market as competitive as San Francisco.

While I may have some complaints, please know that the Taj Campton was just fine for my 3-night stay on business…just not worth repeating. My complaints may feel minor, and in retrospect my principal complaint is value. Even discounted, the price for the room was the highest I have paid in the US, so I expected the experience to be better than other US stays – and it was not. I would place my overall experience – due to the quirkiness of the room and certain services – at the midpoint between a three and four-star property. They aspire to the latter, but have some minor work to do to get there.

My stay was May-2014 and I was in room 502 by the elevators. There was no issue with noise, though I will note that one of the two guest elevators was out of service through most of my stay (15-story building). Everything else about the property seemed extremely well maintained, especially the room.

The details:

Design: the room was contemporary, with clean lines and a warm feel from wood paneling and neutral beige colors. Built-in cabinets added attractive, though many would find the room design to be on the sparse side. There was only one art piece on the wall, with extensive use of mirrors to keep the room feeling open (three floor to ceiling mirrors including the one in the "hallway" by the bathroom). The size of the room was fine, though this was partially due to skipping the normal reading chair/ottoman and substituting an attractive window seat in its place.

Bedding: was good yet nothing remarkable about the comfort level. It was not one of those sleep experiences where I wanted to know what kind of bed it was. The pillows were above average yet I've enjoyed better this year. The approach to bedcovers was a single heavy comforter (attractive), which meant - for me - keeping the room cooler than normal to avoid over-heating at night. It would have been nice to have a thin layer choice.

As others have pointed out in their reviews, the bedside light/Bose clock radio are quirks of this property. There is only a lamp on one side of the bed (I guess we know where you will be sleeping) and the over-sized Bose clock/radio hides behind it in an inconvenient place to see the time at night. The arrangement says “dated” and inconvenience. There is no handy outlet available at the bedside to even plug in your smartphone to use it as the morning alarm, so plan on crossing the room to the desk to use your phone for wake-ups.

Bathroom: different from many room layouts, you’ll find the clothes closet and small, limited drawers for storage in the bathroom. You’ll also find a non-enclosed shower/tub (unusual) that has a 3’ swinging glass piece by the showerhead end of the tub. Water pressure was good but they have the hot water heater turned down so that you have to run the shower at its hottest (I might have liked to set it a little hotter than it would go). The shower/tub is raised, with a potentially slippery tile step used to climb up to it. Molton Brown products were available which I find completely forgettable (used the shampoo and moisturizer only). There was a dated-looking analog scale provided, but it was extremely difficult to read its tiny numbers while standing on it, and seemed to be pretty inaccurate. You would think that a modern digital scale would batter match the décor and improve usability. There were knit bath robes and slippers provided for in the closet. Knit was okay but felt less plush than what one might expect for such things. Always a nice touch though.

Housekeeping: very good but a bit invasive. I cannot recall having a stay anywhere else where there was as much interaction with my personal goods, even if it was just zipping close my dopp kit for me or deciding which hotel notices they would throw away on my behalf. I wondered how much they went through my things, especially as I had some cash in the dopp kit that I had not put in the tiny safe they provide in the bathroom. Housekeeping also showed up later than I might have liked some nights for turndown service (which I don’t desire). The night of my arrival – and I come from time zones to the east so was going to bed earlier, they pounded on the door – repeatedly – at 9:30pm. Again, another feeling of invasiveness instead of attentive service. I used the Do Not Disturb tag the rest of my stay.

TV: was another oddity, which like many higher-end hotels has become biased to complexity instead of simplicity. They forget that sometimes guests just want to flip on the TV to watch a simple program. The Taj requires you to navigate through many button presses to get to the cable TV, and then provide less than average cable TV service: few digital HD channels, fewer range of channels, no program information as to what you are watching (useless “Info” button), no program guide (just numeric guide with local station identifications) and poor navigation back to channel selection. I ended up watching programming on my iPad given the pain in using the flat-screen room TV, as the iPad was easy to use and offered higher video quality.

Wi-Fi: speaking of using digital devices, I was lucky that prior posters had warned me of the “per device” Wi-Fi fees ($12.50 per device, per day). Being forewarned, I brought my own Wi-Fi hotspot so I would avoid paying $37.50 per day to connect my laptop, iPad and smartphone.

Desk: there is a 5x2’ surface provided for work, which is sufficient. But there is only one outlet above the desk into which you can plug your laptop, Wi-Fi hotspot and other personal devices for recharging (iPad, iPod, smartphone). Even 2-star hotels do better than this. You could crawl under the desk to plug one more item in there, but since I recently had back surgery, I instead used wall outlets elsewhere in the room where the electronics had to sit exposed on the floor. Perhaps this is a hotel for non-business travelers over 70?

Business Center: is mis-named. It’s simply one computer terminal in a room by the elevators, with a printer. The sole purpose seems to be printing boarding passes (which it does well).

Services I did not try during my stay: the one restaurant, room service, the lobby bar, the overnight shoe-shine (unknown fee), the concierge and the exercise facility. It’s fair to say that I was scared at the fee schedule for things after learning the cost of Wi-Fi.

Positives: included courteous staff at the front door and front desk, a very well-done Guest Services book in the room (even included tour suggestions with pricing, so they must refresh it frequently) and housekeeping keeping the room well-tended. There were two small bottles of water set out on a shelf on the first day, but they were not marked as free so I ignored them. My loss as when asked on checkout, the front desk said those were free (though not the water in the mini-bar). Most hotels tag water bottles so guests know this, but in this case it was my loss.

Lastly, my window overlooked the Grand Hyatt across the street. Maybe that’s what I’ll try on the next visit: perhaps better bedding, hotter water and fewer quirks.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DenverDoug88
Dear Denver Doug88,

Thank you so much for your very well thought-out comments about your recent stay with us at Taj Campton Place. Rarely do we receive such constructive comments and we appreciate when a guest cares enough to take the time for such a critique. It is always more pleasant to see nothing but positive notations and comments, but certainly of more benefit to learn how we can better serve our guests.

We are genuinely interested in your concerns and we truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience for all our guests. Many of your suggestions are spot-on and are definitely being considered such as tags for the water bottles as being complimentary, more accessible outlets, less complicated television navigation. Others, such as lighting, are already in the budget for this fiscal year.

Some rebuttal:
We make our beds in the European manner with the comforter and duvet cover; however we offer a traditional bed make up with top sheet and blanket for guests who prefer it. A simple push of the finger on “0” on the phone accomplishes that.

I do apologize that you were disturbed at 9:30 with turndown service. Our normal turndown hours are from 5:00 – 9:00 with later service by request. Obviously you did not request this and not knowing just when you were here, I could not investigate what happened. Again, if you prefer not to have this service, you simply need let us know.

Our elevators were all new—inside and out—only 2 years ago. For some reason, one of them is having growing pains and I know it has caused some inconvenience to our guests. I must again apologize.

Value. As you are probably aware, prices in San Francsico are higher than in Atlanta and they fluctuate with the amount of business in the city and the number of groups scheduled in a hotel. It may be you were here over a period of high occupancy when room rates would have been high.

Our housekeeping standards include tidying up personal items, such as hanging up or folding clothing left out or putting toiletries in order. These standards to not include going through your things and obviously none of the money in your dopp kit was missing or you would have mentioned it.

When analogue scales no longer work properly they have been replaced with digital and at this time approx. half the rooms have one kind and half the other. We will have our Executive Housekeeper check the one in room 502 to ensure it is weighing accurately.

We sincerely hope to have another opportunity to restore your confidence our ability to provide that best possible experience and to welcome you back the next time you return to San Francisco.

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

I've been to San Francisco a few times, and always find myself staying at this hotel. The staff here is incredibly friendly, and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They always remember that I've been there before, and they address me by my name whenever they see me in the lobby. It's an impressive skill to remember guests' names!

The rooms are a little small, but the bathrooms are big and luxurious. I love the Molton Brown products they provide. Towels are plush. The bed is so comfy...I want to take it home with me. The location is great, though there aren't any great views from any of the rooms (from what I've experienced). It's nice that Union Square and Chinatown are within a block though, so I'll stay here whenever I have the chance.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jenn C,

Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled that you stay with us each time you come to San Francisco. We love having you.

Our location is a favorite that many of our guests enjoy. Being nestled in the heart of San Francisco, right off Union Square makes it convenient to access all of the great attractions in San Francisco.

We look forward to your next stay with us.