“Nice but not good enough”
Review of Taj Campton Place

Ranked #6 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
British Columbia, Canada
“Nice but not good enough”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The restaurant, and the less expensive bar restaurant were excellent. The decor has a Asian elegance to it.

A few annoying nits...

#1. When we arrived the hotel clerk said our reservation had been cancelled. (What?)

I told her there must be a mistake because I had just checked it the day before!

But the female clerk kept shaking her head and telling me I was wrong. I didn't have a paper copy of my reservation and asked to login using my laptop to view my Booking.com account. However, the clerk said you have to be signed into a room to get internet access. Fortunately, my father-in-law was checking in at the same time and he let me use his account. I logged on, and showed the clerk the reservation I had made.
*Magically she then found our lost reservation.* I asked for an explanation but was given none. For the price of our stay, I would have greatly appreciated an apology for the time wasted and the super-aggravation.
#2 I asked for a room with a nice view. The clerk said they don't have any rooms with a view. Ours looked across at another hotel where you can see people very clearly in their rooms. Not the view I was looking for (see photo).
#3. Our stay was three days. I asked for a top sheet and blanket in addition to the duvet. By the third night, and after several phone calls, they finally got it right.
#4. They need to renovate the bathrooms. The combo tub-shower is very old and tricky to climb in and out of.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear FLJ-designer,
Please accept my apologies that the Front Desk clerk, who was as frustrated as you with the check in process, did not offer an apology or explanation. When reservations are booked through third parties, particularly on the internet, they do not always come through in a manner easy to access, i.e. they use a different coding system or do not always get names correctly. I don’t know what the problem was in your case, but I do apologize that you were caused the aggravation.
We are not known for our “rooms with a view” being located at the bottom of the hill, but also being conveniently located to Union Square, the Financial District and the Embarcadaro. If you could see people in the hotel across the street, you could also see part of Union Square, our view. City hotels often do not have views—that’s the nature of being in a city among other tall buildings.
There is no excuse for your request for a traditionally made up bed not to have been honored immediately, an obvious breakdown in communication between several departments and you may be sure the various managers have been taken to task for this lapse in service. This is not an unusual request and if you would care to get in touch with us, I will be sure your preference is put in your guest profile to be automatically provided on your next visit.
Thank you for having selected our hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Ashrafi Matcheswala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

1) no free wifi (unacceptable!!)
2) no coffee before 6 am
3) the staff is not so nice

The standard is not so high: it's not more than a normal 4 star hotel.
The rest was OK, but for that price I expect more!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Kappa U
Dear Kappa U,
I was so sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay. Our rates, like all hotels, fluctuate with the level of occupancy and as I do not know exactly when you were here, I cannot tell if your rate was higher than usual.
Regarding WiFi, you will find there is a charge in all luxury hotels in San Francisco and ours are in line with our competition. However, we do offer complimentary connectivity, along with other valuable amenities, with our Business Traveler package and in our business chamber as well.
I must take exception to your comment that there is no coffee before 6:00 a.m. We offer 24 hour in-room dining to our guests and coffee is available 24/7, in addition to espresso machines in every room and complimentary coffee in the bar from 6:30 – 9:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, and from 7 – 10 a.m. on weekends.
I truly regret you found our staff not as helpful or friendly they might have been. There is no excuse for a less than hospitable greeting, but as you were not specific as to what happened, I can only ask that you accept my sincere apologies and my hope that you were not inconvenienced by the lack of courtesy.
I hope we may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality and to welcome you back the next time your plans bring you to San Francisco.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've stayed at somewhere between 3000 and 4000 hotels worldwide. Some really cheap, some really expensive. One thing you can "feel" right away, as soon you enter the hotel, is the "care" the hotelier and owner take on their property. Starting with simple things like the location of the reception, followed by the how you are greeted (or not!) Then how the room is appointed. Does the layout make sense and so forth. The Taj Campton Place excels in all these attributes, and for me, that expression of care is very important. It is attention to detail, to the guest experience. It is much more than just have a comfy bed and working bathroom.

So what is the only drawback of this hotel. I could only find two. They charge for internet access. This really should be included. (Hotels don't charge extra for lights or warm water....) The regular TV programing was grainy analog channels and not the pristine digital HD channels I expect nowadays. But these are minor issues. So instead of watching TV I flip up my computer and watched a move from Netflix. In pristine digital HD.

Overall, a great experience, great location and service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank psjofors
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, December 14, 2015
Dear psjofors,

Thank you for your excellent review. We now have 42 inch brand new TV's in all our rooms. We do appreciate your feedback and look forward to your future stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Coming to San Francisco a fair bit for work I have stayed at many of the local hotels including a number of the more modern ones. This is simply the nicest hotel I have stayed at outside of Europe.

The room service ladies very quickly learnt my normal orders, the robes in the bathroom are the most comfortable i have ever worn. The gym has one of the nicest views I have come across. The bed is the most comfortable I have slept in for a good while. The laundry returned my clothes feeling softer than they every have before. In fact the laundry service is worth page on its own, extremely impressive.

All in all this hotel combines the cosiness of a small boutique hotel with the professionalism and efficiencies of a large hotel.

I don't intend on staying anywhere else in San Francisco and quite frankly neither should you.

Room Tip: Stay for a decent length of time here (I was here 10 days) and they will look after you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so glad to hear that Taj Campton Place is the nicest hotel you have stayed at outside of Europe, which truly means so much to us. We are so happy to hear you are pleased with your staff, robes, gym and laundry service. We will be sure to pass along your kind remarks. We are so happy to hear you don’t plan on staying anywhere in San Francisco and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed three nights at the Taj Campton after spending the weekend at the Mandarin Oriental. Though certainly not as luxurious, as days went by I liked it better than the MO.

Location is excellent, right on Union Square. Rooms are comfortable and well appointed (bathroom not very well lit, in my opinion). Service is good, it caters an excellent upscale, renowned restaurant and a very nice bar / bistro which provide it with a local feel.

Just for fun, Luke Perry and Phillip Phillips were tying at the hotel at the same time I did.

Pricey as most SFO hotels, though not as steep at the MO. I think it delivers decent value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, December 30, 2015
Dear Tomas Q,

Thank you for your excellent review of Taj Campton Place. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to your future stays and appreciate your continued patronage.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had reserved this hotel for a few night. The service was very good , the room although completely refurbished look a little too classy for us, as we prefer more modern features and furnitures. Nevertheless we have no formal critic to suggest, Just an expensive well located hotel.

Room Tip: Close to all shopping activities and Union Square with access to the very close cable cars. choose a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear jmLondon845,

Thank you for your excellent review of Taj Campton Place. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to your future stays with us.

Mannheim, Germany
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Not as good as advertised. The rooms are tiny or small at best. Staff is great, but some services (Hotels Town car) were never available. Breakfast was amazingly good. But beeing a LH the standard is at least a little bit higher than what the Taj Campton Place provides.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 23JayJay
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed in the size of your room, and do encourage you to check out our other room types during your next visit to Taj Campton Place. In addition, the house car is on a first come first serve basis, so we apologize that it was never available for you to experience. We would love the opportunity to host you again and provide you with a more impressionable experience.