“A bit old, but comfortable & in a great location”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #56 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Stockholm, Sweden
“A bit old, but comfortable & in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

I loved the location of the hotel. A bit more quiet than around Union Square, but with excellent transportation options; with bay views but not as touristy as Fisherman's wharf.

The hotel is old, loved the huge vintage lobby but the rooms could use some modernisation (esp. the bathrooms). The rooms may be old but are still comfortable and fairly spacious. The first room we got had city views and was very noisy, but we asked for another and got one with bay views, much more quiet.

Staff was super professional and courteous. Room service was good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank arevan_1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

Stayed here with my partner in Nov 2010. Wowed by the lobby, as it was Xmas they had fairy lights cascading down all through the lobby, looked amazing! The room itself I found to be big with a great feeling of space as the window ran the whole length and height of the room. The bed was huge and very comfy. The bathroom could do with updating but was fine. We had a cityview and because of its location it could b quite noisy but never stopped me falling asleep! The staff we nothing but helpful and friendly and when we asked for a late check-out it was given free of charge, Ive had to pay extra for that before so that was a nice touch. I would stay here again and would recommend it to couples and business people, they had a great business center on the bottom floor.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loubox
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

I stayed here for one night. The hotel is in a great location, directly across the street from the Ferry Building (although the entrance is on the other side of the hotel). There are trolley, Muni, and BART stops right outside the hotel.

The building is massive and the lobby is awesome. Very interesting architecture. You can tell its an older building, but it's been modernized over the years. Most of the hotel was clean, but I noticed a few scratches/dents/marks on the walls in various places. I guess that's to be expected in a hotel of this size.

Check-in was easy - there was no line when I arrived (around 4:00PM). I was staying in an "Embarcadero Suite" on the 15th floor. The view was really nice - you can see the whole plaza in front of the ferry building, down Market Street, and (most importantly) the Bay Bridge. I was glad to have spent a little more to get that great view. The room was very modern and clean and I really liked the sliding glass doors so that I could get pictures outside. The doors just open to a railing - there is no balcony.

I ordered room service which came promptly and was very good. I actually enjoyed the meal as much as if I'd been eating it in their restaurant.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

This hotel is great if you want to be in the offices on Market near Embarcadero.
But the hotel itself is quite dated.

Pros:
- Proximity to Ferry Building, Embarcadero
- Near BART
- Rooms are spacious but not amazing

Cons:
- Dated
- Bedding is old

There are other better hotels in this star level and price

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Sleepless_Travelers
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

I originally chose this hotel due to the proximity of the client; had been comfortable at the Hilton on Kearny. Nonetheless, while I see some wear and tear (the hall carpets are getting worn (were there any leaks?), the rooms are comfortable and the staff is friendly and top-notch. I will stay again and have already made my arrangements. It's all about customer service and the Hyatt fills that bill.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

I hit the road for weeks at a time and when in SF I like this property for its location and the aesthetic value. However, the past 2 times I've stayed there I have to say the decor inside the rooms is getting tattered, the carpet has dust on it along the baseboards, the wood on the sink was rotting, and the wonderful mattresses are sagging -- you can always tell where people have slept in the past. This past trip I really noticed how poorly the dated sliding glass doors are at keeping out noise. I heard trolley cars, traffic, ferry and boat horns -- and there was duct tape on the one side! In the 2 weeks I was there I also noticed that the room was never vacuumed! Yuck! I really hope Hyatt has some plans to bring this property into the 21st century. When I first stayed here the current decor was new -- not so much anymore! new decor and new windows is what this place needs!

The staff and service by the way are all excellent!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Blairz
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

This hotel is excellent. We only had one hiccup. Our check-in (early) was very pleasant and we felt the hotel was very glad we had arrived. We asked for a late check out and promised that we did not have to be out of our room until 2 p.m. Our room was ready, it was very clean, well furnished, and updated. Lovely bed. The balcony was clean and the chaise, table & chair were a very nice addition. Our view of the Bay and Embarcardero center was stunning. The entire hotel staff (except one) were extrememly helpful, courteous, and the restaurant service was impeccable and the food was very good too. The hiccup - housecleaning knocked on the door on departure day at 10:00a.m. and ask when we where leaving. I had to inform this man that we had a late check out. We love this Hyatt Rengency and stay here each time we come into the city for an overnight stay. It has BART right outside its doors, the Ferry Building is 1/2 block away, buses, streetcars, cabs, and trolleys are at the doorstop, and some of the BEST restaurants in the city are within walking distance. Fisherman's Wharf is also close-by.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple