“Excellent room but go elsewhere to eat”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #48 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Stayed last 4 days in August on business trip. Location is excellent - central to shopping/eating/attractions. Checking in/out was very quick and courteous. The foyer is very impressive. Got Kingsize room on second floor (quiet for a second floor) - very good sized room. Nice view over Bay area. Room spotless. Had tea making facilities and lots of tv channels. The minibar was very large but quite expensive - 4USD for a bottle of water .

I would recommend calling help-desk for wireless internet connectivity. My European bank called at 4am to notify me of uncharacteristic authorizations on my credit card - this was caused by me trying to pay for wireless access through their site and repeatedly telling me that my card was declined when in fact authorizations were put through. I then had problems trying to get an outgoing connection from the hotel phone to stop my bank from freezing my card but eventually it was resolved.

Breakfast is not cheap at 26USD (+tip) for the buffet. Unless you've got an huge appetite, I would recommend ordering off the menu or going elsewhere.

I had dinner on one evening - fillet steak - although reasonably priced, it was quite bland and there were only about 4 other people in a sizable dining area (the chicken starter was quite poor). San Fran has some great places to eat so do not eat dinner in the hotel.

I didn't use the gym facilities but take a walk around hilly San Fran with it's spectacular views and you won't need any other exercise.

For business trips, I would recommend the Hyatt but might be a bit pricey for a vacation.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank dub1975
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Reviewed September 2, 2007

We have just returned from a short stay at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. The hotel lobby is amanzing and the rooms are very confortable . The location is good with good acess by public transportation!
Didn´t try the restaurants . Overall I would say this is a good hotel

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank vmimartins
Reviewed August 25, 2007

The bad:
The room we stayed in had spots on the carpet, black mold by the tub and red/orange mold dots in the bathroom ceiling.
The room was non-smoking in theory but we had to sleep with the window open with all the street noise in order to get the smell out.
The hot water pressure was weak in the shower.
No robes.
Could hear people in room above walking about.
Front desk was not very motivated to help us change rooms.

The good:
The beds were very nice.
Had tube TV, clock radio, extra synthetic pillow, cosmetic mirror, coffe maker, hair dryer and iron.

Conclusion:
Guess this hotel would be ok if it was updated. Not sure about the open lobby design unless they had sound proof doors.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank iMagellan
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We decided to stay at this hotel after previously staying in Fishermans Wharf and this is a much better location - so much mroe central and if you do their park and play package which comes with breakfast and free parking all the better.

Having a car in San Fran makes the world of difference - our previous trips we were reliant on taxis and walking - which was not so bad but to get off the beaten track and see some amazing parts of SF def get a car!

The hotel concierge team were great at ensuring we had maps and info.

The breakfasts were fine for the included price and they always took great care of our 3 year old.

The only complaint we had was the room next door was full of College students who decided to party from 1am until 6am - not great for us at all. Told the hotel who offered us free breakfast but that didn't mean much to us as we were already having breakfasts included.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to all sorts of groups!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kiwigirltraveller
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I was shocked to hear that the valet parking was $50+ a day! Even though San Francisco has little parking, this rate is outrageous. Not only that, but they charged internet, which has been free for nearly every hotel I've stayed in. Because the summer there was very chilly (like Mark Twain said), I wanted to swim indoors, but the hotel does not have a swimming pool. The Em barcadero center that the hotel is in not bad. The restaurants in the center are an excellent spot for lunch with choices ranging from classic deli sandwhiches to pizza to sushi and there are plenty of hungry pigeons to feed. I would recommend this hotel strictly for business people that will have their expenses paid. The environment at the is good for a conference, maybe not a family trip.

• Stayed: July 2007
7  Thank bluedolphin94
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Spent one night at the Hyatt and, while I loved the location, I was not so pleased with the hotel itself. I booked a room on one of the "Business Plan" floors, thinking this might be a little nicer than average. My mistake. What I got was a room on a floor just like all the others, except I had to swipe my key card in the elevator to punch my floor's button. Before I arrived, the hotel sent me an e-mail from the "E-Concierge" offering a variety of services for free and for extra cost. I responded by asking for extra towels and the New York Times, but got neither. The hotel is huge and built during the era of the giant interior courtyard (much like the Marriott Marquis in New York City). The now-dated interior is dark and damp (a stream runs through the lobby, which is probably the moisture source). The corridors are narrow and dark. The room itself is a bit dated and the bathroom is small. Mold was present on the seam between the tub and the wall. Given the cost of the room, I expected better.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Hotel was very nice. We had a semi corner room that could see the bay bridge. Ammenities were all there and standard fair for a upscale business hotel. One downside however was the rotating restaurant. Wasn't really worth it for the price and the wall was a tad dirty, so ever full rotation, we would see that black smudge on the wall. There are so many great restaurants in SF that I would recommend that you look elsewhere for either drinks or food. The bar downstairs in the lobby was also a bit wanting. Not too many people, and tried to be a little too hip for what it really was, a lobby bar.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple