“Very Pleased”

GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I booked the Hyatt for a business trip and stayed for two nights. The location is perfect, on Market in the financial district. The BART station is right in front of the hotel, which made getting from SFO cheap & easy. The hotel has a grand central area and a very unique appearance. I stayed in a King room w/ a balcony, which was clean and spacious. It had great views of the bay and the city. The hotel has all the ammeneties of a larger chain hotel (gift shop, business center) as well as the convenience of a Walgreens and liquor store right across the street. The bar downstairs was busy and stayed open late. I am a smoker, but chose a non-smoking room and they provided me an ashtray to smoke on the balcony, which had a table and chairs for lounging. I would absolutely stay here again on my next trip. I was on the 10th floor and didn't hear any street noise, nor neighbors, doors slamming etc.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Calimom7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I had 7 faster free nights that I needed to use before Feb. 28. So I took the Cal Train into the city and spent 9 nights at they Hyatt Regency. As a Hyatt Diamond Member I was upgraded to the Regency Club Level, Balcony Bay View, and I loved every second of it, was hard to leave. The Regency Club Rooms occupy the top 2 floors, and the club is on top of the hotel with an awesome views of the Bay Bridge, The Bay, and the Financial District. Each night the club had a wonderful spread of hous D'oenuvers, and in the morning a generous continental breakfast. The rooms have been renovated and are tastefully decorated with large plasma tv in the room, and a tv located in the bathroom mirror. The staff was friendly, accommodating, and professional. I would like to spend a special thanks to the housekeeping staff for the friendly 5 star service they provided. Every morning when I returned from breakfast my room was clean!!! Amazing it like they knew my schedule. I've stayed at almost every Hyatt, and one of my pet peaves is not having my room cleaned by 12 noon, and encountering a cold housekeeping staff. Thanks again Hyatt Regency San Francisco, you have the best Regency Club and Housekeeping Staff, it was an experience I will never forget.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank klarkent
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We booked 1 night for a family weekend overnight. The location of the hotel is the main attraction. We booked a room with view of the bay. The room was decent size, but everything about the room was out of date. Second, everything cost extra. Its ridiculous that hotels charge extra for internet these days. $10/day. Parking was $33/day for self park, and $55/day for valet.

The hotel is probably fine for business or conventions, but there are much better choices in the city for a family or anyone wanting a weekend gateaway in the city.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jtooley
Bay Area, California
Reviewed February 8, 2009

A couple years ago before I had an apartment to myself I booked a room at the Hyatt for a getaway with my girlfriend. At that time I was able to get a room here for under $100/nt through Hotwire.

The rooms are large and the beds are ultra-comfortable. The bathroom was also nice. I enjoyed staying at this hotel thoroughly. It is a good value if you can get a decent last-minute price.

• Liked — Nice rooms. Close to transportation.
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happyboredom
Colorado
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I booked this hotel on a very last minute trip to escape the cold weather and take advantage of sunny 70 degree weather in SF. I decided to go at 930am Friday 1/16 and was on a plane by 230pm. =).

I bid for the hotel on Priceline, telling myself I would go if my $75 / night bid was accepted. Lo and behold, it was.

Getting to the hotel from SFO via BART could not be easier - just exit at Embarcadero and the hotel is right in front of you. I arrived late - around 10pm. There was no wait and the service was friendly. They offered to upgrade me to a harborview room for $40+ / night. I politely declined, knowing I would rarely be in my room anyway. The clerk said no problem, and told me I'd get a nice room anyway. I didn't really believe him, but sure enough, my 12th floor room (1 king bed) had a great view of the port, Embarcadero Street and the SF / Oakland bridge.

I found the room to be perfect - clean and comfortable (particularly the bed). There's a safe, iron, coffeemaker and minibar in the room. You could tell the room had be refurbished, as it was just a little nicer than the bathroom, where the tile and fixtures were just a bit dated (but still clean). Water was hot and pressure was fine. TV worked well and got plenty of channels.
I did not use room service.

As others have noted, the location is optimal. There's a 7-11. Walgreens and Starbucks right across the street, and a bagel store right around the corner. They were all open, even on weekends when the financial district is pretty quiet.

For transportation, the BART / MUNI station is right at the hotel, as is the terminus for one of the cable car lines. Bus Route 1 stops 2 blocks away, making it easy to get to Chinatown and Nob Hill. The bus seems to run constantly with short waits to catch it. North Beach area is a quick 10 min walk. You can also easily catch the streetcar to Fisherman's Wharf or other places.

I did a ton of walking, and the hotel is a great base camp for that. I did 15 miles on my first day's visit, going to Union Square, the Castro, through all of Golden Gate park, then along the Coastal Trail. When you get tired, it's easy to jump on public transportation and get right back to the hotel.

Be sure to check out the Farmer's Market at the port across the street.

When I needed a taxi at 430am to get to the airport, there were plenty available, along with a towncar service.

Given the great price, awesome location and friendly service, I was very happy with the hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No negatives
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Mellicon
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We came here for my spouse's conference and got a $130 rate for two. Our room was excellent, with a partial bay view--probably because we are both Gold Passport members. I think the "you get what you pay for" comment from another reviewer is true; hotels also reward loyalty.

The room was fine, on a low floor away from the elevator as per our\
profiles. It had a small balcony which (if it were a bit warmer or drier) would be nice to sit on to see the bay and Embaracero area.
The honor bar is touch-sensitive but I managed to slide some cheese in on top of the beer. (Note that if you do move something and are charged, if you have not consumed it, you CAN get them to take it off your bill!) The soap and lotion amenities are nice quality and scented with white ginger.

Morning coffee is via a small coffeemaker in the room (ugh) or via a $2/cup honor bar in the atrium. That coffee is fine. Breakfast bufffet was perfectly OK but not extraordinary. You are across from the Ferry Building with its food markets, so with a little planning you can get food there to bring back for the morning or just go over there for breakfast.

I was a tourist on this trip, so I found the location superb--on the flats for easy walking, close to ferries for scenic rides, a reasonable walk to Fishermans Wharf/Pier 39/the ballpark. It is right at the Embaracadero BART/Muni stop. You can be at Ocean Beach in under half an hour, or at Golden Gate Park.

This definitely is my new favorite hotel in SF.

And if you see the man with the gray cat on the sidewalk by the bagel place, please help them out!

• Liked — Location, quality
  • Disliked — Could not use coffeemaker with my own Peets coffee
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank Honu_Ohana
Oakland, CA
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We had tickets to a nearby show and decided to have dinner out before and stay over in the City. We booked a Bay View King (Room 1128) through the Hyatt website at a decent rate, Used the valet parking--very convenient but steep at $50 per day. The view was nice, though a lot of the view was of Embarcadero Center, rather than of the Bay itself. Very pleasant nonetheless. Big room with a desk and two sitting areas. Clean but smallish bathroom. The Atrium is decorated for the holidays, and the Ferry Building and holiday skating rink are adjacent.
Tip: The turnaround for the California Cable Car Line is just steps outside this hotel. While not as famous as the Powell Street Line, it's still a great ride and very often with little or no waiting.
We will probably make this stay again for the holidays or another special occasion.
Also, a note about booking rooms: I see many complaints posted on Tripadvisor from folks booking rooms at deep discounts and then complaining when they are offered one of the less desirable rooms at the hotel. Cliche but true: You get what you pay for.

• Liked — View and location.
  • Disliked — Confusing entry from Valet Area, though there is staff there to point the way.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple