“Pretty Impressed”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #48 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Was here for a conference in June '13. Beautiful hotel in downtown SF right off the Embarcadero. At check in, I first noticed the huge, magnificent atrium, equipped dining area, lounge and quite the view of the entire inner region of the hotel. Upon leaving my room each morning, I was greeted with a stunning view of this area. The room itself was fine; was a little worn in some spots, but nothing too big. Standard amenities of desk, chair, dresser, etc. Lots of great restaurants in the vicinity. Walking distance to the Giants stadium and Bay Bridge.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I like the location and this is your standard huge, if not impersonal Hyatt. I would be careful right now as there is a lot of construction outside the hotel which makes getting in an out a bit of a chore. We stayed on the Club floor which is always worth it at the Hyatt. This one is on the top floor in the old spinning restaurant/bar. The club floor has great service, a nice breakfast, fantastic apps at around 6 or 7 pm every night. There were also a few massage chairs and of course, the view is spectacular. If it were not for the club floor I would not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank JFSD
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This hotel does have a great location close to the wharf and a cable car ride away from many tourist destinations but I would jot recommend it unless the price was right. It is a fairly dated property with very poor customer service and appreciation. The concierge desk always has a long line and when you do wait in it and ask a question the information is not very helpful, except for the most basic questions. If you are a business traveller looking for good information about where to meet and entertain clients, forget about it!

Room Tip: Definitely get a room as high up as you can!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in a standard room. The lady on reception was so helpful and took her time to make sure we had good size and well located room due to the length of our stay. Our room was excellent, decent size, very comfortable bed, small bathroom but the sink and mirror are outside the bathroom so this worked very well, plenty of towels and a nice view of parts of the bridge and bay. We had wi-fi included in our room plan but this is the first time in ages that I have seen a hotel charge for wi-fi access, I really don't understand why they would do this, as the cost is minimal and it makes them look cheap. Few odd things even though there were two of us in the room we only got one small bottle of water, one set of earplugs, one included breakfast, no robes or slippers. We were on the 12th floor and the noise from the street was quite loud, due to the single glazed windows, the heavy curtains did dampen some of it and we were able to sleep no problems. The area around the hotel can be a bit intimidating as there are quite a few homeless people who normally wouldnt worry me but they can be quite agressive with their tactics. I felt I needed to be on guard but overall I loved San Francisco, beautiful city with great food. The city does need to sort out the homeless issue though the tram ride from outside the hotel to Castro area was like entering "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest". All in all though a thoroughly enjoyable stay in a lovely city.

Room Tip: Choose your room carefully
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BerkshireJulie
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel itself is not exceptional. It's an old style Hyatt Regency with the large open atrium. Impressive. You can get a room with a wonderful view, and you are located right at the foot of Market Street across from the iconic Ferry Building and the Embarcadero and its promenade. The California Street cable car line starts at the front door. Also a BART station.

We stayed in Room 1017, which is the end room on the Market Street side closest to the Ferry Building. All these rooms on each floor end in "17." Regardless of the floor, they call it an Embarcadero Suite. It was spacious with wide windows and sliding glass doors that give a wonderful breeze and view of the Bay Bridge. Since you're at the end of this triangular building, at one of of the apexes, you have only one neighbor. You get some street noise on this Market Street side of the building, but the view is lovely if you get a room down towards the end, towards "17". The "suite" is simply furnished; two large screen TVs and a very solid king bed. It is one large room with a sitting area with two couches. Bathroom and amenities are completely ordinary. But at $316 a night with the AAA discount, it's a very good deal given where you're located. I stay here a fair amount and will continue to so so because of the location and the view. If you've got a rental car, remember it's $64 a night for valet, which is exorbitant. There are garages nearby that charge $33 a night, but no in-and-out services. Never tried the bar or restaurant, so I can't help you there. There's tons of good places nearby like Tadich and Perbacco as well as all the interesting options in the Ferry Building, such as the Slanted Door. Unfortunately, Drumm Street on which the hotel entrance fronts can be a pig sty. There are homeless folk on the sidewalk across the street, and it is often uncommonly littered. It's not the hotel's fault, but be prepared. All in all, though, it's worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I stayed 3 nights on a business trip to SF. The location is terrific. My room had a great view of the Bay Bridge. In the evening I walked the ~mile up the Embarcadero to have dinner at Fisherman's Wharf and walked back after. I walked to meetings at Moscone Convention Center and at Union Square. For other meetings when walking was not feasible, the bus, subway, and California Street cable car stop right outside. There was plenty of light and desk space for in-room working, although the "premium" internet is not real fast. The housekeeping staff was very thorough and attentive. The design is such that the rooms face outward and all of hallways face inward to the cavernous, somewhat gloomy center of the building. In keeping with the spirit of San Francisco, the hotel is "greener" than most other Hyatt hotels where I have stayed. I enjoyed my time here and would be happy to return.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2014

All in all I would have given a good rating to the hotel. However I was very displeased by the fact that they mentioned there would be a small grab and go for marathoner's setup in the morning since it started before breakfast started.

Nowhere was there mention of a price and based on other hotels I have stayed at in LA and Santa Rosa for marathons I expected there to be bagels, fruit, and water for you to grab.

NO, the Hyatt instead charged prices I consider outrageous. (2 bananas and a muffin $7). I did inform the Hyatt I thought this was unscrupulous especially considering the other hotels I've stayed at giving free food to marathoners, and that I don't think I would stay here again if they didn't look at changing this policy. My response was I can have free Hyatt points and they would make sure to mention the prices on the advertisement next year.

As mentioned the room/view was great and everything I expected.. But when I am paying upwards of $300 for a room. I don't think its right to price gouge your fruit offerings so I am giving a poor rating, as I would never visit this hotel again due to what I see as price gouging tactics.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family