“Great location, beautiful views, fun!”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #50 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I loved staying here. I was unsure when I booked it, because back in the 80s this part of town was dead after 5 p.m. Not anymore. After the '89 earthquake did it's damage to the raised highway that threaded along the waterfront/piers, it was demolished. Since then the area has been rehabbed and the Ferry Building just across the street is super accessible and full of great shops and eateries.

This area of the city is now a prime destination when in S.F. Beautiful walking area, great views of the bay bridge, easy to catch the BART or buses. Excellent restaurants nearby. If you are on business in the financial district, you can't go wrong with the location. Gorgeous lobby, great restaurant.

Downside: the staff was not very friendly. In fact, they were borderline rude at the front desk and concierge. Hyatt needs to level-set their team and remind them that customer services is about making guests feel welcome and comfortable. But, aside from that, I loved it and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Diane P.,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed the ideal location near waterfront and the Ferry Building across from our hotel. It did change quite a bit from back in the days. Please accept our apologies for not meeting your guest service expectation. We strive to offer excellent customer service and it seem we fell short during your stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and it will be shared with my Leadership Committee. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Tiffany

Write a ReviewReviews (4,747)

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here for a business trip as it is right around the corner from our offices. The interior common areas seem dated. The room was recently renovated and was large enough. I did not get a bay view room, rather just looked out onto a business street with homeless people and construction. There is LOTS of disruptive construction right outside the front of the hotel meaning you have to pick your way to just cross the street. The bathroom is super small - one can barely turn around in it. Interesting because the room entryway is very big - I would have liked that space used to make a larger bath. Overall it had a very isolating feel - I don't think I interacted with any staff inside the building once I got past the front desk. Fortunately if you put the inland street to your back and walk toward the water you have the amazing Ferry Building ahead of you for shopping and dining and I even walked to ATT Park for a Giants game one night. You can easily access public transport as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the bay. Higher floors are better due to the construction noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MDMOMLongIsland_NY
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero for three nights on business and walked away very impressed with the hotel and its staff. I had a great room with a partial view of the Bay, with a nice little balcony. The room itself was good sized, comfortable, up-to-date, and very clean. Although the hotel is quite large, it's surprisingly quiet. Overall, the Hyatt Regency exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank rdooz
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Nice centrally located hotel. Gorgeous lobby. The location was close enough to my meeting the next day that I was able to walk there and there were plenty of stores in the area. I spent a good amount of time the lobby doing work after I checked out and the internet worked well both there and in the room.

The inroom dining was quick and really tasty. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank rachelia18
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review. Great to hear you found our location convenient and enjoyed the food and beverage from our culinary team! We can't wait to welcome you back. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We got a high floor bay-view room which had floor to ceiling views of the Ferry Building and the Bay Bridge. The "soft renovations" that the hotel had been undergoing were apparently completed on this floor, giving the room a new hotel feel. This location was incomparable for access to every form of public transportation( ferries, cable cars, street cars, subway, busses.) We also loved being within blocks of world-class dining, including the Slanted Door which this past week won the James Beard award for the nation's best restaurant. The only minor glitch was a reservation mix up at check-in that was quickly resolved by giving us a free room upgrade. Ruth, the front-desk worker, was extremely attentive and professional in correcting the matter. We found the construction at the Drumm Street entrance to be only a minor annoyance and had no trouble getting in and out of the hotel. Finally, I would definitely recommend the upgrade to the Regency Club. The evening we arrived we felt like staying in and made a very satisfying dinner of the "heavy" appetizers and wine. Each morning we enjoyed starting our day with the breakfast and views afforded from the top of the hotel. We would absolutely choose this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor possible, avoid rooms that face Drumm Street, while the construction is in pro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WWK764

Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! Thank you so much for the positive review. We are thrilled you had such a great experience at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed our refreshed guest room and the ideal location of our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused upon arrival and glad that Ruth was able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Your compliment is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

My husband was traveling for a conference and I decide to join him having never been to San Francisco. We upgraded to the our room to the Regency Club and it was well worth the extra expense.
Room: the rooms were very clean and spacious. We liked the layout out only complaint was the noise you would hear from the patio doors. They need to be replaced because you can hear everything. If you are a light sleeper like me this might be a problem for you. The bathroom is also a little small and every time we showered there was water everywhere. I did like the tv in the mirror which was nice to watch the news while getting ready.

Service: every person we encountered was friendly and helpful. The concierge had great restaurant suggestions, international stamps to send something to a friend. The security team was very on top of things, I had a early flight and had to leave at 3am, there was construction at the hotel and the shuttle service called to have me walk around to another area for pick up. Security spoke to them and told them were I could be picked up as he did not want me leaving the hotel area. I made me feel safe since it was so late at night and I was traveling home solo. We only encountered one minor issue with the lobby restaurant, they told us the kitchen was open during renovations but it was only open for room service with a limited menu. It was late at night and since the hotel is not near many restaurants open late we were a little disappointed.

Regency club: the extra fee included access to the club floor which had breakfast daily, snacks mid day (cookies, nuts, pretzels) and appetizers in the evening. There were also massage chairs, computers and printers. Drinks (pop, water, juice, coffee/cappuccino) which could be taken to go as well. It also had spectacular 360 views of the city. Definitely worth the added expense.

Location: the hotel was close to the convention centre and close to transit. However it was not in the touristy area. This was not much of an issue for us. Shopping was close by as well.

We would book this hotel again if we return to the city.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the regency club.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed at this hotel during a visit to USA and found it really nice. It's position is great as the trams and cable cars pass it.

The rooms are very well appointed with an excellent bathroom. The gym is small but adequate and the atrium is a real treat.

We drank in the bar on each night and ordered food on one night. The drinks although expensive were well presented with really good bar staff. The food was really good and again the serving staff were excellent.

I would stay at this hotel again

Room Tip: High overlooking Bay Bridge
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank dh20281
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is great to hear you've enjoyed your stay with us and close proximity to the cable cars. We appreciate your compliment on the quality of food and beverage served at Eclipse and I'll be sure to share your comment with the team! Please come back and see us again soon.