“Location, Location, Location”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #50 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Hyatt at 5 Embarcadero is terrifically situated within walking distance of some major SF tourist hot spots, including the Ferry Building, Pier 33 (boat to Alcatraz), Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf as well as China Town. Another advantage is the proximity of the cable cars and a great bus route that will take you many places in the City. The one big negative - the hotel needs to upgrade windows in the hotel rooms to keep out the outside noise. Our first night, we were in a room on the 5th floor facing Embarcadero and heard the trolley until late in the evening. This we could handle. But, on our second and third nights, we moved to room 328 which had a partial view of the Bay and the Ferry Building (we moved to get an updated room with a full bathroom rather than the handicapped shower we had on the first night). This was very nice during the day, but at night in December, there is an ice-skating rink outside near the hotel that plays music until 11 PM! and it's loud. Granted, we were warned. But, it was much worse than I expected. I would stay at the Hyatt again, but I would NEVER stay in the rooms facing the skating rink during the rink season unless and until the hotel figures out how to soundproof the rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the skating rink in the winter. You will not be able to sleep until 11 PM when t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Arie K
Write a ReviewReviews (4,751)

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I recently spent four nights at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco for a conference.

As far as location goes, you can't beat this Hyatt. It's just steps from the Ferry Building Marketplace, and it's within two miles of Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, AT&T Park, and other touristy spots. It's also close to several public transportation options. Additionally, there are a good mix of restaurants and shops nearby at all price points, which I appreciate.

Now, on to the noise. I read TripAdvisor reviews before I got to the hotel, so I expected the noise and requested a room on a high floor. I was put on the 7th floor and could literally hear skateboards, a saxophone player (nightly street musician), laughing, construction, etc. outside through my closed sliding door. I wore earplugs and used a white noise machine (both provided in the room), but it was still loud. A colleague stayed in a room on the second floor, directly above the hotel restaurant, and told me that she could hear clanking plates and smell food all night.

Aside from the noise, I liked my room. It was a decent size and it was clean. I have to say that even though the outside noise was atrocious, I couldn't hear much from inside the hotel, which was appreciated.

I was also disappointed with the wi-fi. This is the 21st century: major hotels should all offer free wi-fi by now. This hotel was offering wi-fi at $10+/day -- that's highway robbery. Additionally, the conference rooms--which are part of the hotel and probably account for a great deal of the hotel's business--are on a different wi-fi network, meaning that even if you pay the daily rate for the wi-fi you can't use it in the meeting rooms! What a joke!

All that being said, the staff was friendly, and room service and housekeeping requests arrived quickly.

If my employer wasn't paying for these rooms for a conference, I probably wouldn't have stayed at the Hyatt. Everything about it was overpriced when you consider the quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor to try to avoid some of the noise. Avoid the second floor if you wan...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I attended a conference year which took place in the secret from us on the second floor. The food provided for us that breaks was adequate and the service was nice. We also attended a party in one of the private rooms off of the lobby bar. The lobby itself is stunning from a design perspective. Overall cool hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights but wouldn't again the bedrooms were clean with queens beds
didn't get much sleep as it was to noisy, the Hotel did provide ear plugs not very good when I expect quiet during the night. There was work going on outside the hotel which started about 5am. when I opened the bedroom door there was an awful smell off fumes
The food was alright not too friendly staff in the restaurant, Staff on reception though were very knowledgeable and friendly, wouldn't go back again

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and got a special room rate which was nice. Since the hotel was pretty full we opted to upgrade to the regency club ($75 a night) so we could get two separate beds in the renovated section of the hotel. It was a great choice.

With the Regency Club you get access to the top floor of the hotel that used to be one of the those revolving jobs from the 1970's and 1980's. Now it's stationary and is used for breakfast, coffee anytime, including espresso drinks, cocktails (you pay $4-$6 for these, pour/mix yourself) which are a bargain and heavy hors d'oeuvres and usually a main dish. It's conceivable that for the upgrade you could have breakfast there each a.m. and dinner there if you like and coffee or an espresso anytime. Hey, that's a good deal in San Fran. We thought the food and service was good.

As far as the Hotel itself:
Pros: Great location in downtown, convenient to the waterfront and the street cars, cable cars. Nice staff. The beds were very comfortable.
Cons: No bathtub which was disappointing to me, but somehow I survived.

If atmosphere is important to you, you should know this is not an elegant old world hotel, the decor is strictly contemporary and has a conference hotel "feel". If you want that you should go to the Fairmont or Ritz Carlton. We enjoyed staying there for the location and because our conference was in the hotel. There is construction going on outside, but this didn't slow us down, all areas around the Hotel were accessible. All in all, it was a good stay, but for a future visit I think I'd look around a bit to find something with more charm.

Room Tip: If you want a quick breakfast with a great view, upgrade to the Regency Club. A great place for coc...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stay the hotel for an annual meeting. The hotel is centrally located downtown. The rooms are clean and stye staff are friendly. The coffee is not great but when you are in SF that is good since there are so many great local coffee stores. If you have a room facing the park, the sun warms up the room significantly during the day (so if you have to work in your room it can get hot...).

So, I enjoyed the hotel and the location when in SF. The hotel also has a a good gym on the top floor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I took my wife to SF to celebrate her 60th birthday and ended up apologizing for picking this Hyatt. We have stayed at Hyatt's all over the world, and this is the worst ever. The hotel needs to be torn down and rebuilt. We were staying on a "club floor". The furniture in the room was smashed, stained, heavily scratched, etc. One side of the bed had no lamp, had to take the desk lamp and mover it over, then the desk area had no light. The cordless phone did not work, and the drapes were falling down. You have to walk single file in the hallways they are so narrow. Nasty '70's concrete construction, looks like a prison. We should have checked into Alcatraz! Don't bother paying for Regency Club. You have to pay for the drinks and the food stinks. I understand they are doing a "cosmetic refresh" ( what does that mean?) but this place needs a chemical peel. There is heavy construction in front of the hotel and the taxis do not want to come in.If you have to stay here there is a taxi stand across the street, use it, or better yet use Uber. On the plus side the location is fantastic, the room service was quick and decent, and the maids were great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple