“What a gorgeous place!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Half Moon Bay, California
“What a gorgeous place!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I never turn down a reason to go into this excellent hotel. The atrium is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING - it's been around for many years, but it never loses its magic - when I enter, I immediately gasp and say, "Oh how beautiful!"

We visited the Embarcadero over the weekend and took a detour thru the Hyatt on our way to our car. The atrium is just as beautiful as it's always been, plus they had a lovely Christmas village set up on top of one of the fountains. Of course you have to see the various Christmas trees, Christmas ornaments, and the cute little elevators shooting up to the top - what a great experience!

I did stay at the Hyatt a few months ago and the room itself was clean, well-thought, and comfortable.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! Thanks so much for your review! It is always great to hear our guests enjoyed the festive atrium lobby during the holiday season. Our holiday decoration is absolutely one of the must-see and we appreciate you took the time to stop by! Your recommendation is much appreciated. Look forward to welcoming you back!

Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I like personality in my hotels, I like a smaller place that lets me get to know the staff.
So aesthetics aside I found everything took too long to get done while I was here. The staff deals with too many people to appear as though they care.
The room was boring.
The big interior is kind of neat.
I hear they used to have a spinning restaurant/bar on the top, why would you get rid of such an amazing feature. Maybe there was a time when folks thought this sort of bar was old and illy but a revolving bar is so awesome now!

Room Tip: If you want to be by the cable car that nobody rides, this is the perfect hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Crash89
Newport, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco for the last night of my stay in San Francisco. The hotel lobby was decorated beautifully for Christmas. We were only at the hotel for a short period of time, so did not dine during the stay. We did have cocktails at the lobby bar, and the staff were all excelent. I loved being right accross the street from the Ferry Building, what a great place to go visit. The hotel could use some updating, but the staff and thought put into Christmas decorations made up for it. I would return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear CJM913,

Thank you for staying at our hotel on your last night in San Francisco. We are delighted you enjoyed the holiday decoration in the atrium lobby and the Ferry Building across from our hotel! There will be a cosmetic upgrade during the 1st quarter of 2014, we look forward to welcoming you back and stay in one of our renovated room in the near future!

Best regards,
SLC
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I booked this hotel on Hotwire, not knowing what hotel I would get. I frequent San Fran regularly. I was pretty ecstatic to stay at the hotel and loved the location of it. However, when I arrived that's when things went downhill. This hotel should literally be a one star. First of all, parking in the city is expensive. I'm aware of this. Valet parking at this hotel is $61/DAY. Self park is $32/DAY. RIDICULOUS. It was almost as much as my room just to park at this dump. I would've rather stayed at a motel and gotten a free parking spot. Second, the room offers a dine in breakfast option and we went ahead and did that the first night we stayed. Besides being overpriced like everything the Hyatt tries to get away with, the breakfast had a $5.00 delivery charge and 22% service fee which stated right on the flyer that it included gratuity. We accepted the $60 breakfast but were prepared not to double tip. The room service attendant was extremely put out when I didn't tip him. It was included! Ungrateful, greedy bastards! Wifi is $10/day and the list goes on and on. I will NEVER stay here again and hotwire would not refund me for the parking so I filed the room charges as fraudulent with visa. Ha. Ripoff waiting to happen. BEWARE.

• Stayed December 2013
9 Thank Nmbovee
Dear Nmbovee,

Thank you for your feedback. With many competitions around the area, we try our hardest to stay competitive with our pricing and we feel we provide good value, however that was not your experience and for that, we are truly sorry. We trust that the resolution offered by Hyatt Consumer Affairs was to your satisfaction.

Best regards,
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed December 16, 2013

my family stayed here for the first time and we really enjoyed it. the room had a great view of the bay and the oakland bay bridge and the skyline as well. the room was very quiet and comfortable. wifi worked perfectly and the continental breakfast was filling.

the location is perfect for a stroll to the waterfront. where you can see the farmer's market, fisherman's wharf and pier 39. you can dine at the hotel or you can easily walk to nearby restaurants...various burger joints, taco bell, subway, etc. across the street is a walgreens so you can conveniently buy things you forgot, etc.

web check-out is available and can save time...very convenient.

the only drawback is that the ride form the airport can take over an hour if the traffic is heavy. however, we had an early flight and the traffic was nil, therefore, the airport was a mere 20 minutes away.

definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear mark c,

Wow! Thank you so much for your 5-star review. We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. The bay view from your room is definitely one of the unique feature we have being on the waterfront and great to hear you enjoy the lovely view. I must agree with you our location is ideal to explore many San Francisco attractions! Your recommendation is truly appreciated and we hope to see you and your family come back and visit us again soon!

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

When I was little, I could see this hotel as we crossed the Bay Bridge. I thought, "What a cool, building--when I grow up, I want to go there." And now, many years later, I did it. What did I find? Although the architecture is outdated (unique?), Hyatt made of the most of the interior and did a decent job making it look more modern. It still is impressive in its own way. A mix of L.A.'s Bonaventure with Las Vegas's Luxor. You decide.

Customer service was excellent. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Rooms were not completely outdated but they could use some oomph. It was a bit stark given the price of the room. I know it's a regular Hyatt, but there are some Marriott Courtyard's that have more style. Room was sizeable; it seemed to be missing a love seat or chair as there was a big empty space near the sliding glass door. View and location are amazing, though.

Now the negatives: room smelled musty, and, at the same time, there was an overpowering cleaner "scent". I don't know if it was a cleaner that was trying to mask the mildewy smell or what, but it was not successful. We had to open the sliding glass door to air out the room. The HVAC needs cleaning, too. I kept sneezing after we turned it on. I would've turned it off, but we needed the fan noise to drown out the normal decibel voices coming in through the adjoining door. Clearly Hyatt is aware of this issue because there were pair of new earplugs next to the bed (or left by a kind housekeeper?).

I'm not sure if I would stay here again. It's too bad because it's an excellent location and the customer service is great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shortz
Dear Shortz,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you have always wanted to stay at our hotel and it is disappointed to hear we did not meet your expectations. Your comment will be reviewed by our housekeeping team to ensure the cleanliness of each guestroom. There also will be a cosmetic upgrade beginning 2014 to refresh all of our guestrooms. We definitely want to regain your confident back. Should you decide to stay with us in the near future, please contact us directly so that we can ensure your next visit will be an enjoyable one.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The hotel is well located, minutes away from major sights of the city. Has a very pleasant staff and a beautiful atrium level. Also a good fitting room. The rooms were always clean. I recommend it, mainly for a business trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business