“Last night in San Francisco”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #56 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Newport, Rhode Island, United States
“Last night in San Francisco”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco for the last night of my stay in San Francisco. The hotel lobby was decorated beautifully for Christmas. We were only at the hotel for a short period of time, so did not dine during the stay. We did have cocktails at the lobby bar, and the staff were all excelent. I loved being right accross the street from the Ferry Building, what a great place to go visit. The hotel could use some updating, but the staff and thought put into Christmas decorations made up for it. I would return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear CJM913,

Thank you for staying at our hotel on your last night in San Francisco. We are delighted you enjoyed the holiday decoration in the atrium lobby and the Ferry Building across from our hotel! There will be a cosmetic upgrade during the 1st quarter of 2014, we look forward to welcoming you back and stay in one of our renovated room in the near future!

Best regards,
Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
SLC
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I booked this hotel on Hotwire, not knowing what hotel I would get. I frequent San Fran regularly. I was pretty ecstatic to stay at the hotel and loved the location of it. However, when I arrived that's when things went downhill. This hotel should literally be a one star. First of all, parking in the city is expensive. I'm aware of this. Valet parking at this hotel is $61/DAY. Self park is $32/DAY. RIDICULOUS. It was almost as much as my room just to park at this dump. I would've rather stayed at a motel and gotten a free parking spot. Second, the room offers a dine in breakfast option and we went ahead and did that the first night we stayed. Besides being overpriced like everything the Hyatt tries to get away with, the breakfast had a $5.00 delivery charge and 22% service fee which stated right on the flyer that it included gratuity. We accepted the $60 breakfast but were prepared not to double tip. The room service attendant was extremely put out when I didn't tip him. It was included! Ungrateful, greedy bastards! Wifi is $10/day and the list goes on and on. I will NEVER stay here again and hotwire would not refund me for the parking so I filed the room charges as fraudulent with visa. Ha. Ripoff waiting to happen. BEWARE.

• Stayed December 2013
9 Thank Nmbovee
Dear Nmbovee,

Thank you for your feedback. With many competitions around the area, we try our hardest to stay competitive with our pricing and we feel we provide good value, however that was not your experience and for that, we are truly sorry. We trust that the resolution offered by Hyatt Consumer Affairs was to your satisfaction.

Best regards,
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed December 16, 2013

my family stayed here for the first time and we really enjoyed it. the room had a great view of the bay and the oakland bay bridge and the skyline as well. the room was very quiet and comfortable. wifi worked perfectly and the continental breakfast was filling.

the location is perfect for a stroll to the waterfront. where you can see the farmer's market, fisherman's wharf and pier 39. you can dine at the hotel or you can easily walk to nearby restaurants...various burger joints, taco bell, subway, etc. across the street is a walgreens so you can conveniently buy things you forgot, etc.

web check-out is available and can save time...very convenient.

the only drawback is that the ride form the airport can take over an hour if the traffic is heavy. however, we had an early flight and the traffic was nil, therefore, the airport was a mere 20 minutes away.

definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear mark c,

Wow! Thank you so much for your 5-star review. We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. The bay view from your room is definitely one of the unique feature we have being on the waterfront and great to hear you enjoy the lovely view. I must agree with you our location is ideal to explore many San Francisco attractions! Your recommendation is truly appreciated and we hope to see you and your family come back and visit us again soon!

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

When I was little, I could see this hotel as we crossed the Bay Bridge. I thought, "What a cool, building--when I grow up, I want to go there." And now, many years later, I did it. What did I find? Although the architecture is outdated (unique?), Hyatt made of the most of the interior and did a decent job making it look more modern. It still is impressive in its own way. A mix of L.A.'s Bonaventure with Las Vegas's Luxor. You decide.

Customer service was excellent. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Rooms were not completely outdated but they could use some oomph. It was a bit stark given the price of the room. I know it's a regular Hyatt, but there are some Marriott Courtyard's that have more style. Room was sizeable; it seemed to be missing a love seat or chair as there was a big empty space near the sliding glass door. View and location are amazing, though.

Now the negatives: room smelled musty, and, at the same time, there was an overpowering cleaner "scent". I don't know if it was a cleaner that was trying to mask the mildewy smell or what, but it was not successful. We had to open the sliding glass door to air out the room. The HVAC needs cleaning, too. I kept sneezing after we turned it on. I would've turned it off, but we needed the fan noise to drown out the normal decibel voices coming in through the adjoining door. Clearly Hyatt is aware of this issue because there were pair of new earplugs next to the bed (or left by a kind housekeeper?).

I'm not sure if I would stay here again. It's too bad because it's an excellent location and the customer service is great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shortz
Dear Shortz,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you have always wanted to stay at our hotel and it is disappointed to hear we did not meet your expectations. Your comment will be reviewed by our housekeeping team to ensure the cleanliness of each guestroom. There also will be a cosmetic upgrade beginning 2014 to refresh all of our guestrooms. We definitely want to regain your confident back. Should you decide to stay with us in the near future, please contact us directly so that we can ensure your next visit will be an enjoyable one.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The hotel is well located, minutes away from major sights of the city. Has a very pleasant staff and a beautiful atrium level. Also a good fitting room. The rooms were always clean. I recommend it, mainly for a business trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Hyatt is a very high quality hotel. The rooms are very spacious and luxurious. The bar downstairs is nice as well, to have a drink at the end of the day (although a bit pricey). The location is good, close to the SF pier. One negative point is that the WiFi is not free (and actually quite expensive); at such a high quality hotel I'd expect this to be free.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Our room was on the Club level with a balcony facing out to the water. Check in was effortless and Amy is an excellent front end representative. She looked after all our needs and ensured we were in the type and quality of room we required. The room was small but well equiped and functional. We loved the balcony and the view of the San Francisco Bay....fabulous to have in a big city. We received free internet as we're Hyatt members. The bathroom does require an update but I give it a pass as I'm so impressed with the amazing staff and the fantastic location. I also like that it's kept fun with fortune cookies at reception.....well done!

Room Tip: Club class rooms, top floor with balcony.