“Grand Old Dame of the Embarcadero”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #56 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Grand Old Dame of the Embarcadero”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Location certainly drives this site. Could not ask for a more perfect spot to start a plethora of trips. The Ferry Building will be forever linked to this hotel as the locally sourced shops make for an exceptional SF feel. Front desk immediately provided the help I greatly needed upgrading to a suite .The Bay Bridge view from the 11th floor was spectacular. All said and done, nice building with quick elevators that handles a tremendous amount of traffic due to conventions etc. I am positive an upgrade will be part of the future for this hotel as restaurants and common areas need a bit of sprucing up. The room service was indeed the best I have ever encountered ,and as usual the Hyatt employees are quick to resolve any issue and to offer a smile.

Room Tip: 20 minutes walking to Union Square.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tomo628
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear tom o,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Yes, you are absolutely right about the upgrade and it will happen end of this year. We appreciate your compliment on our front office staffs and room service! Look forward to welcoming you back.

Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The location of the Hyatt Regency Embarcader cannot be beat - it is right in the center of the action on market street. The staff is friendly and I loved the views from my room, which overlooked the bay. The hotel itself is adequate but could use some updating. The number one issue is the lack of noise barriers between rooms and between the room and the attrium, which can make you loose sleep - I was lucky and had neighbors that very quiet after 11 or so.

Room Tip: Make it a high floor to reduce the noise level.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear NewEnglandTraveler22,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed our ideal location and the view from your room. However, we do want to apologize for the noise traveling from the atrium due to the design of our building. We have scheduled a cosmetic upgrade end of this year to refresh all of our rooms. We hope this single experience will not deter you from visiting us again in the near future.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We arrived from the east coast early in the day and arrived at the hotel way ahead of the check-in time but the wonderful desk clerk was able to get us in a room just like we wanted immediately. The view was wonderful and the balcony was a nice touch. I had breakfast as soon as we settled in at the Empire restaurant contained in the hotel and it was nothing short of delicious! We came from the airport via the BART system and the station is right across the street as is the loading place for the Cable car. Talk about convenience! You are right across from the ferry building and an easy walk down Embarcadero to see all the sites on the water. My only issue was with all the city sewer construction going on outside but it didn't really get in the way. Our room was clean, quiet and relaxing. It would be nice with the price you pay to stay here if the wifi was free as well but overall a very nice place to stay in San Fran and if and when I get back, this will be my choice again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room as far up as you can get to keep any noise down. We were on 14 and I heard no...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2013

When we checked in we met Kathleen who was an excellent representative for the hotel. She made sure we were knowledgeable about the Regency Club and how to access the elevator to get to the top floor. We chatted for a bit with her and felt comfortable right from the start. The hotel has not changed since I was last there several years ago, but it is maintained in excellent condition. The customer service is better than many of the places I have visited. The room had a beautiful view and it was quiet. The hotel is quiet.....that is a big plus for me. Some noise drifted up from the street, but it is in the city and the sounds added to the ambiance.
Regency Club is a treat. Highly recommended. We were there during the Americas Cup and it was a lively crowd in the evening. Breakfast in the Club was really good. Everything from oatmeal to smoked salmon....we loved going up there and starting our day. We made our plans while viewing the city from the circular dining area.
Also the location is the best in the city. All public trans is at the door. Including the cable cars.

Room Tip: The side of the building facing more to the Ferry Building offers a great view and noise was not a p...
Green Features: I am not a tree hugger so much and so I really do not care if the staff or the hotel is extravagant. If fact, since I am paying top dollar I do not want corners cut.....but thats just me.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear john k,

Welcomed back to our hotel and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are lucky to have Kathleen on our team and it is always great to hear compliments from our guests. I will be sure to share your review with her! The view from our Regency Club is absolutely gorgeous and a perfect place to kick off your day!

We truly appreciate your patronage, hope to see you again soon!

Dallas
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Reserved and was confirmed for a double room, however when we checked in we were told there was not one available. Desk agent twice tried to put us in a room with a king and a rollaway and then tried to upsell us to a suite. First hotel I've ever been to where I'm asked to pay extra because the room type I reserved isn't available. We did finally get a room with two beds, guess there was one available after all.

The room we were given was outdated. Our room faced Embarcadero and we were able to hear the street noise. Water temp in the shower changed several times over the course of every shower. But at least the pipes warn you that hot water is coming by making loud noises.

Bring your own hair dryer, the one in our room kept going out and it took me nearly an hour to dry my hair.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a great location - directly across from the Ferry Building Marketplace and a Bart station. You can also catch a trolley across the street if you don't mind waiting in the long line.

Overall the hotel isn't great but it's not that bad, just not consistent with the quality of other Hyatt's and definitely not worth the full price. Stay here if you can get a good rate.

1 Thank Irene L
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you are planning on visiting this hotel in the next 3-4 months. There is major construction taking place outside. It is also very loud outside - making it difficult to sleep. If your room faces the center of the hotel it overlooks the open space and noise from there also travels up.

Room Tip: High floor - for street noise
Creve Coeur, Missouri
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco recently for business. It turned out to be not only a great hotel but the perfect 'home base'!

The hotel is in the heart of everything. It is located at the corner of Market, California, and Drumm Streets in downtown San Francisco (California and Drumm are the cross streets and Market is a diagonal street all connect at that same corner). There is a BART stop, a trolley stop, and a cable car stop all within a block. Also within a block is the Ferry Building Marketplace (a farmer's market and open-air market) that has an amazing view of the Bay Bridge. If you go a block north, you find yourself in the Embarcadero shopping district and can shop to your heart's content! A few blocks in a different direction can also get you to North Beach and Chinatown. Walking to AT&T Park was a bit more of a stretch - literally and figuratively - but it was easy enough to do, just be sure to wear good shoes.

I was at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco for work, and from an event perspective, the Hyatt Regency was equally great. The ballrooms, event rooms, and the breakout sessions were all kept to one end of the hotel and easily accessible from both the elevator and the escalator. Having the escalators turned out to be extremely important as the elevators in the hotel were frequently marked out of service and the wait time was terrible. At times we were even ushered up through service elevators. The catering, event, and desk staff were all amazing! (Special thanks to Svetlana and Angela at the front desk.)

Although the hotel atrium is featured in a few movies and they do have an Alcatraz exhibit, this is the one area where I think the hotel is a bit much. It is two floors of big and gaudy that seemed like wasted space. The walkways in and around the hotel are pretty, but they are bricks in a repeating architectural design and I felt each and every one of those bricks through my ballet flats. If I ever go back, I will bring shoes with thicker soles...

Should I need to be in San Francisco down the road, this is the first hotel I will check out for my trip. It features a great staff, fantastic location, and easy access to public transportation.

Tip: Ask for a room away from the California/Market Street side of the hotel since there is construction going on there presently. If you need any help with directions, ask the guys at the valet stand or the Avis car rental place (instead of the concierge).

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the California/Market Street side of the hotel. There is a lot of construct...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear MJandDC,

Wow! Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We are thrilled you had such a great experience at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco! I love that you feel our hotel is the 'home base' for both business and pleasure! Sounds like your event was a success and it is always great to hear our staff was able to assist you with your needs. I will be sure to share your compliments with the entire team especially Svetlana and Angela at the front desk!

We truly appreciate your business and thank you again for staying with us! Please come back and visit us again soon!