“Good property for business trip, unacceptable reservation problem”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #56 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Voorhees, New Jersey
“Good property for business trip, unacceptable reservation problem”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Was in town on business. The hotel has a great location on the edge of the business disctrict, right on the bay and close by to some great restaurants. Its a massive proprerty. Room was clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, despite reserving my room with a credit card and calling the same day to advise that I would be arrving late, they still did not have a room for me at check in. The assistant manager was extremely apologetic, found me a room at a sister property for the night and picked up the charges, making the best of a bad situation. Unfortunately, the situation was just unacceptable. You can be sure that if I didn't arrive they would have charged me for the night. That's the whole purpose of guaranteeing with a credit card.

1 Thank bzucknj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here when it first opened long ago and returned this past week. Customer service was impeccable throughout. Treat yourself to the Regency Club experience. You wont be disappointed. Love the location close to the Embarcadero, cable cars, BART, Front Street and just about everything else you come to SFO for!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear RayPays,

Thank you so much for your review and welcomed back after many years! Our location is definitely ideal especially with all the new attractions along the Embarcadero waterfront! We truly appreciate your loyalty to the Hyatt Regency San Francisco and we hope to see you come back again soon!

Chapel Hill
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a good spot if you want to be close to the waterfront. It's across the street from the Ferry Building, with its coffee shops and food stalls. The lower floors get street sound, but the rooms also have white noise machines, which help mask the noise. I've stayed here three times and had a different and good view each time. The staff are friendly and helpful. The lobby is full of business travelers and meeting attendees, although the lobby does also offer some displays that would be of interest to children and tourists to the area.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The location of this hotel is convenient. However, we just had too many poor interactions with the staff that made our stay here unpleasant.

It started before we arrived. The hotel address doesn't show up consistently on navigation sites. We tried 4 different devices got three different answers. The hotel should be aware of their presence on the internet and ensure the address shows up properly on different maps etc.

When we pulled up, we were met by the valet who asked what we needed, then walked off, never to be seen again. Then a second person showed up to tell us to move and we explained for the second time that we wanted to valet park our car and check in. Then a third guy shows up (second guy leaves) and we go through it again only this time we are told something different than the first two times. Very frustrating and time consuming. Parking is $60 a day - how ridiculous.

Check-in was actually ok, although instead of asking for my Hyatt account, they just signed us up for a new one which I didn't want. When I called to change this, I got the full court sales press.

There was extensive construction work being done that made the access to the hotel extremely difficult. I think it would have been nice if someone, anyone, informed us of an alternate way to enter or even better, made it easier for the guests during this mess. The hotel did nothing, which tells you a lot about how they don't think about the customer's convenience, only theirs.

Rooms - the air conditioning clatttered so loudly we didn't sleep the first night. It had to be fixed fairly extensively which kept us out of that room.

Housekeeping - I have never been hounded so badly by housekeeping. Every day they busted up in our room early. One day the housekeeper waited outside our door for us to leave. She blocked the door with her cart as well and we almost fell over it as we walked out the door. Back off ladies!!!

Internet access - three tiers of pricing. $4.95, $9.95 and $14.95 for crappy, slow or normal speeds. Then add on top of that they charge by device. This sort of customer-gouging practice by itself guarantees I will not stay at a Hyatt property again (and in some cities I visit, I prefer a Hyatt brand *see Denver). I just cannot forgive this kind of rip-off in this day and time.

You beat me out of $40-50 bucks this time Hyatt, but you lost my future business forever. The Westin folks are happy to have me and don't pull this kind of nonsense. I can walk across the street to the Starbucks and get free access or a block away at the McDonalds, but in the room I paid for I get this complex cluster of a policy etc. You should be ashamed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Joe-Bob-69
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience from your recent stay. A private message has been sent to you to request for more information. We certainly want to gain your confidence back to the Hyatt. Look forward to hearing from you.

Truly yours,
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel's location is superb, being across the street from the Ferry Building and within walking distance of outstanding shopping and dining, as well as China Town. We stayed five nights for a combination business and family vacation. The restaurant provided casual dining that was good, with service that was a bit uneven. The room was well appointed and an appropriate size but the bathroom was small. The hotel is starting to show a few a few signs of age, but it was clean. The maid service was outstanding. I had a complex reservation for which I was not properly billed and didn't catch it until later. The manager was 100% cooperative and service oriented and fixed the issue without any difficulty. I would stay with them again.

1 Thank FRHolmes1
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed the ideal location of our hotel. It is definitely a central hub for both business and pleasure. Your compliment on our housekeeping ladies is much appreciated and I will be sure to share your kind words with the team. Please come back and see us again soon.

Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed in HRSF this past week, and overall had a wonderful stay.

Pros:
* Location. It's on top of a BART station, at the intersection of nearly every major MUNI line, a cable car line runs here. Heck, the Amtrak station is across the street. This hotel is the nexus of SF transit.
* Atrium. It's as awesome as it was when this hotel was built, which is saying a lot.
* Rooms. Several reviews panned the rooms as needing an upgrade. The furniture looks a bit weathered, but overall, the rooms are very clean, and in good condition. Electronics all worked well; no problems there.
* Service. We started our stay in a full suite on the 9th floor. At 6:30am the next morning, it was apparent that city construction was going to be waking us up early on a daily basis. The staff at the front desk was nice enough to move us to the 16th floor in a junior suite that was much quieter and had a fantastic view. (See photos.)
* Food. Their breakfast buffet (in the atrium) is awesome. Not sure about regency club; we didn't opt for that.
* Location. Yes, I mentioned it twice, but I just remembered that the ferry building and the Embarcadero are right next door. And Embarcadero Center. And the Financial District...

Cons:
* Sound. The problem with being in the center of everything is that everybody wants to be there. That said, some rooms are quieter than others; see my room tips for details.
* Parking fees. Hyatt claims that the rates are comparable to other hotels in the area, but for the record, I'm having trouble finding a hotel in the financial district that charges *exactly as much* as Hyatt does. Recommendation: park in the Embarcadero Center buildings.
* City construction. For some reason, San Francisco thought it would be cool to nearly destroy every street around the entrance of the hotel for peak tourist season construction. This *totally* isn't Hyatt's fault, but I think the city should really reconsider the time of year they tear apart streets and sidewalks. Maybe they should have a tax holiday for Hyatt regency, for deterring any walk-ins.

(If you're reading this review after September 2013, feel free to disregard that last bullet point. :)

Room Tip: A room on a high floor or a room facing the northern side is recommended for quieter times...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acmorris
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. Great to hear you enjoyed the ideal location of our hotel and glad our staff was able to find you a quieter room. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the city construction. Your business is truly appreciated and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Tustin, California
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is expensive and the rooms are typical high-rise hotel style: two beds, a desk, a closet, and basic bathroom. Nice to have a little fridge in the room, and the beds are very comfortable. Would have loved two queens instead of two doubles though for our family of four. I asked for a roll-away bed for my teenage son but the hotel desk said it was against fire code. Not the hotel's fault, of course, but there really was plenty of room for one. (Bring an air mattress if you need to.) Anyway, the location of the hotel is perfect: walk to the ferry building farmer's market and to the embarcadero. I prefer boutique hotels and B&Bs but in San Francisco everything is super expensive, so you might as well pay for a great location.

Room Tip: Having a bay view is fantastic!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family