“Underwhelming, expensive, and in need of updates” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #58 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Waterloo, Canada
“Underwhelming, expensive, and in need of updates”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for more than a week to attend a conference. I was on the 4th floor. I travel a lot.

The street noise (random traffic, taxi whistles from the doorman, people yelling) was just awful. A colleague who stayed in an upper floor said it was no better. Amazing that the glazing is so poor. It also leaked cold air.

The bed, desk, table, chairs, TV were all fine. No complaints there.

The shower was old and uncomfortable to use as it was designed for someone about 5'6" not 5'11" like me.

The other bathroom fixtures were fine, but not terribly new. The taps on the sink were reverse threaded, which I found annoying.

Internet and parking were outrageously expensive add-ons. Had I known, I would have simply not rented a car, but once I was there it would have been really inconvenient to return it so I was stuck. I asked about public or self-park options but got only limited and unhelpful feedback from the hotel staff. Apparently, there is a public lot across the street that would probably work.

Breakfast was crazy expensive and not very good. Choices were pretty limited. For $24, I expect a lot more than what they offered. Only ate breakfast there once; ate at Starbucks other days. (And I *could* have expensed breakfast everyday to my employer)

The event had lunches catered by the hotel. This food was pretty good.

Everyone was polite, but not always as helpful as I would expect.

While the location sounds great, keep in mind that this is the financial district and there is very little within 15 minutes walk that is open in the evenings. However, MUNI and BART are right there, and there are good places to eat if you're willing to walk 20 minutes or more.

There is gym equipment onsite, but no pool/whirlpool/sauna. This is a huge hotel too. I was mad about this.

6 Thank ThatGuyFromCanada
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are going to have a soft renovation towards the end of this year and it will help refresh all of our guestrooms. Parking can be expensive in the heart of the city but public transportation is very convenient from our hotel and there is a rental car kiosk on the ground level should you consider to rent a car for a day. We apologize for not communicating these information to you prior to your arrival. We strive to provide excellent guest service to all of our guests, it is disappointed to hear we fell short during your stay and for that, we are truly sorry. Your business is much appreciated and I will be sure to share your comment with my management team for review.

Sincerely yours,
Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel and Valet parking personnel were quite helpful and the room was nice and clean. We checked out early and left our luggage and hand luggage with the Bell Department and collected it in the afternoon. When we got to the airport and got ready to clear security we realized that my kindle was missing from my hand luggage. We called the hotel and they asked me to call back 10 minutes later so that they could check the room. My kindle had a red cover so that it would be easy to find it anywhere. When I called back, they told us that nothing had been found. We had already checked in the bag with the airline so when we got to Las Vegas, I checked to see if by mistake, I had left it in my bag but it was not there either and a small light blue paper bag with a pearl I had got at the Fisherman's Wharf was missing also and I remember putting it in my bag. I called the hotel again and was told that I had to call tomorrow to double check with lost and found at 9am. The hotel is conveniently located near the Ferry Building and most of the employees are friendly but DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR ROOM OR IN STORAE WITH THE BELL DEPARTMENT!!! Room 1041 was a sour experience and we had been planning this holidays for over 5 months and it should not have ended this way!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank MRF509
Waterloo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The bed though huge was so hard that after the first night I was physically bruised, making lying on the bed the second night excruciating. I even considered sleeping on the couch instead. As consequence I was enormously relieved that I stayed in this hotel only three nights. The shower would run only cold or too hot, irrespective of where one set the H/C lever, making the shower near unusable. The single glazed windows (even on the 17th floor) seemed to let in all the sound from the street below, and the violin player in the restaurant endlessly playing "Lara's Theme" was sheer torture in and of itself, for someone trying to sleep. There was also the noise of endless traffic on the Bay Bridge right outside, or perhaps construction -- a rhythmical regular banging. The room provided inadequate lighting, offering no central light, and while offering a couch, did not offer any sort of chair one might comfortably work in. Though this is typical in many hotels the room offered only a shower unit, rather than bath and shower.

Breakfast was not included, and a coffee and orange juice alone was $10. I was told by the waiter at breakfast to stop speaking when he rudely walked between myself and the person I was then speaking to in order to provide us with said coffee and orange juice. We were then told that given the price of the coffee and orange juice we'd be well advise to have the buffet, which included coffee and orange juice, since any other choice would prove extremely expensive. While serving us at breakfast the waiter also asked us if we wished to purchase keys to permit us the right to use such basic things as the hotels facilities. I got erroneously charged $61 for one nights valet parking, even though I didn't have a car, and frankly thought that a $61/night parking fee was outrageous,

Being on the 17th floor required use of my room key to access my room, and I invariably found the elevator going down again before I'd managed to find room key, and put it in the slot. It didn't help that of the two keys provided me one never worked. I felt vulnerable and insecure being obliged to be going through my pockets, pulling out wallet etc. in a crowded elevator (while already having hands full) in order to find my room key.

The entrance to the street where each day I meet others was huge, but offered a complete dearth of any chair that one might sit on. I suggested to a footman that perhaps I'd just have to sit on the floor while I waited and he suggested that there was a chair outside the hotel. When I pointed out that the day was not that warm he then suggested I might take a chair from one of the side rooms. This did make it very much easy to wait while reading the newspaper.

I was attending a conference at this hotel. However the hotel's own internet service did not extend to the conference rooms in the hotel, so one had to switch between providers when in different parts of the hotel. Power plugs in the conference rooms were completely inadequate, for the obvious needs of a conference center. The lunch I attended was again very badly waited upon. The table I was at went most of the meal, watching other tables being offered coffee while we were ignored.

In summary this seemed a hotel that prided itself on being substandard.

7 Thank ijdavis
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to ensure our guests to have a smooth and enjoyable stay with us but clearly that was not your experience, please accept our sincere apologies. Your review is very important to us and we hope we could regain your confidence. One of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly to discuss further on your recent stay.

Truly yours,
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights last week for business. I stay at a lot of Hyatt hotels and find them to be fine usually. This one left me feelign slightly suicidal!! It is a really old building that is made of gray concrete and has this huge indoor atrium with the rooms all around the perimeter facing outward. That means when you are walking through the corridors to your room, you can see right down to the bar and restaurant area. It felt cold and unwelcoming and the interior leaves a lot to be desired. My room was extremely dated and the carpet dusty and worn. What drives me absolutely crazy about some of these Hyatts is also the fact they have no minibars, this was one of them. Also, the service is not great. I arrived with a lot of luggage (I'd been on the road for two weeks!), and there was no bell boy to help me with my luggage at the front door. The only redeeming feature of this hotel is the location. It is downtown San Fran, right across from the ferry waterfront which means you don't have to eat or spend anytime in the hotel. Next time I go to San Fran I won't stay here though, I'll book in the Westin...

5 Thank SusieCR
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the poor experience you had. A cosmetic upgrade has been schedule towards the end of this year to refresh all of our guestrooms including replacing the carpet. Many of our guests found our mini fridge useful but we understand a stocked mini bar would be more convenient for business travelers. Should you consider to return in the near future, please contact us directly and we will be happy to arrange your accommodation in advance. Your comment is very important to us and I will be sure to share it with my management team to review.

Best regards,
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for a conference - location is highly desirable on the ferry waterfront. There is essentially no other closer hotel to the Ferry Building and Pier 26.

Ask for a bayside view - it is worth the extra $20 or so per night. Stunning view of Bay Bridge, Ferry Building, and the plaza that turns into an artisan market outside the hotel.

Caution: Said artisan plaza was home to a BMX bike sporting event the weekend I was there and the music and noise was so loud I had to close my balcony doors to the beautiful Bay Bridge view.

The Ferry Building across the way is a short walk and you can easily turn the wharf run into a 3-6 mile run. On the weekend the sidewalk along the wharf is treacherous with tourists and locals swarming the food stalls. But it is worth it -- BRING CASH. After my run, I couldn't purchase at the food stalls b/c I only had plastic. #epicfail Inside the Ferry Building, a culinary adventure awaits. It's pleasurable way to spend a couple of hours tasting your way around. The wine shop even offers plastic cups if you are taking a bottle for immediate consumption.

Agree with some of the reviewers who say Regency amenities are lacking - but they are willing to bring anything up to the room with a simple request - newspapers, slippers, robe, teapot and bags, etc. The bathroom is old in decor but the location, view, and service of the hotel make up for this subtle detraction.

In short, ask for a bay view room - I had Room 518 and it was lovely. Hotel elevators take a bit of time to call and service this spacious large hotel with conference services.

Go Lorrie's shuttle is THE way to travel to and from the San Francisco airport - extremely affordable as well as punctual and efficient.

Would I stay at this hotel again: Definitely. For location, view, and proximity to activities and the artisan market. I would only stay in a room with a bay view, however.

Room Tip: Bay view is the only way to go
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

large hotels can be impersonal - like a factory. The staff does not recognize you, even though you live there over a week. The rooms do not have mini-bar, no soaps, and more. You may call the front desk and order up the room. They seem to have cut back on everything - except the price.

Room Tip: Choose Club room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We try very hard to recognize our guests during their stay and it seems we fell short during your stay, please accept our sincere apologies. All of the basic in-room amenities are placed in the bathroom include soap, lotion, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner. A list of other amenities such as mouthwash, shower cap, cottons or curling iron etc are available with a call to our housekeeping department. Your comment is truly appreciated and it will be reviewed by the management team.

Best regards,
Lugano, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here for a week to attend a conference that was held at the hotel. Being a Hyatt, I expected a certain level of comfort and luxury. Most of my expectations were met: the public areas are nice, the concierge was very knowledgable and friendly, the location is excellent, walking distance to the Ferry Building.

On the other hand, there were quite a few unexpected annoyances:

1- While the cleaning people are nice and friendly when you run into them, a few times I heard them yelling loudly towards each other. I guess they thought there were no guests around but this was quite disturbing. I think there is a system problem, not the people themselves.
2- The bathroom fixtures are really old style, difficult to turn the faucet on and off. Definitely needs renovation.
3. The elevators can become crowded and a bottleneck. One day I got on the elevator on the 12th floor to go to to the lobby. It stopped at every floor down even thought the elevator was full. I am sure some technical solutions can fix this problem. There seem to be plenty of elevators but at times it seemed like only one was working.
4. When I checked in, the clerk was not very friendly or helpful. But other people have been friendly.
5. The internet was supposed to be free but I had to call some internet support to get the codes to access it. Apparently, they plan to offer free internet but the system has not been upgraded yet.

Overall, I expected more from Hyatt Regency but not too bad. I hope they will upgrade it for my next visit.

Dear Mehdi J,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and great to hear our concierge staffs were able to assist you with your needs. A cosmetic upgrade for all of our rooms has been scheduled for end of this year. We apologize for the inconvenience occurred during your stay and your comment will be shared with our management team to review. We appreciate your business and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,