“Awesome Hotel!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
North Reading, Massachusetts
“Awesome Hotel!!!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Hotel's lobby is outstanding. Their staff was wonderful and very attentive! The buffet breakfast was delicious. The only thing I think that needs improvement is the rooms need a facelift. They are good size and very clean, but the bathroom could definitely use a facelift and the TV stations really are limited. I spent nine days while my husband was on business and it was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view.
Green Features: I believe this hotel was very environmentally friendly as far as I could tell.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Hiltzie85,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your extended stay with us. I am particular happy to read your compliment on our staffs! There will be a renovation towards the end of this year to refresh all of our guestrooms. We truly appreciate you took the time to write us a review. Look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the near future!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency because I attended a conference held at the hotel. It has been more than eight years since I last stayed at this hotel. What a disappointment it was.

First of all the entire hotel has a faded glory look to it. I remember when it was the standard of luxury in San Francisco. But that was more than thirty years ago. The carpet in the guest room was stained, curtain was off the rail and towels were frayed. The duvet was covered with two flat sheets and not in a cover, which made a mess during the night. The management said that this is the standard corporate-wide. Which makes me question the quality of service throughout the chain.

There was bare minimum amenities in room. Other than soap, shampoo and bath gel there was nothing else displayed. The minibar was empty and no coffee or tea was offered in room with the small coffee machine. Admittedly there was a sheet on the desk with a list of item one can call room service to request. But given that other hotels, including many smaller boutique hotels in the city, are able to provide many of these conveniences right in the room I don't see why Hyatt cannot offer the same level of service.

Judging from my experience of this stay the only redeeming quality of the hotel is its location. Being right at the Embarcadero it is near just about every tourist spots in the city. I travel in Asia extensively and perhaps I've been spoiled by the extra personal touches offered in hotels there. But there must be a better way of maintaining these details even in the U.S.

Management said they are about to embark on a guest room renovation program soon. But unless they also raise the level of in room amenities and services I'm not sure I would be back to stay.

6 Thank KLKho
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for the poor experience you had. As mentioned, a renovation has been scheduled towards the end of this year to refresh all of our guestrooms and we trust that will absolutely give our rooms a much fresher look.

Though we may not have all of the amenities in our guestrooms, a 'Hyatt must-have' list is placed in each room for guests to choose from a variety of amenities based on their needs. For Gold Passport members, we can add profile notes to the member's account and ensure they receive their requested amenities prior to arrival.

We strive to provide an enjoyable experience to our guests and we are truly sorry for the disappointments. Should you decide to visit us again in the future, please contact us directly, so we can personally arrange your stay with us.

Best regards,
Shorewood, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2013

When you enter the lobby of this hotel you immediately think "i've been here before". It has been featured in about 20 movies, but it is still spectacular. It is also a nice area to sit and enjoy a drink. The room was large for a city hotel. The furnishings and bedding all looked new. The bed was very comfortable. Our room had a great view of the Ferry Building. This is supposed to be the financial district, but there are many shops and restaurants in the area. The staff is very customer oriented, helpful and friendly. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for bay view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JVKV,

Thank you so much for your review. You are absolutely correct as our hotel was in The Towering Inferno, High Anxiety and many more! We are delighted you enjoyed the beautiful bay view from your room and our convenient location to explore San Francisco. Your compliment is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We're here on business and the one redeeming quality is its location. The hotel is within walking distance of Pier 39, Pier 33 (for Alcatraz), AT&T Park (home of the Giants), and Westfield. The Bart and the Cable car are right outside. But, inside the hotel, there is no Spa, no swimming pool, one fairly small multipurpose restaurant/bar which closes at about midnight. Accessing the Regency Club is not cheap so we've given it a miss.
The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly. But I really don't understand how it has the 4 star rating.

Dublin3
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The location of the Hyatt Regency is perfect for seeing the waterfront, and the excellent SF transportation system (cable car, subway and trolley all outside the hotel) makes it easy to reach about any of the great SF sights your heart desires. The hotel isn't very striking from the outside; drab poured concrete style of the '70's, but once you ascend the escalator to the reception, it blows you away with the soaring atrium. After that, there really isn't anything special about the hotel, and it's really quite ordinary, and a tad overpriced. The rooms are nice, and the beds comfortable. But let's face it, you're paying for the location.
We ate at the atrium bar, and the food was so, so. The drinks were fairly priced for a hotel ($5.50 for a Sam Adams), but the barman was rather inattentive. Skip the overpriced hotel breakfast and instead walk around the corner to Noah's Bagels. There is also a nice diner on Bush Street (about a 10 minute walk).
I had read some other reviewers mention how the hotel tries to nickel-and-dime you, and I would agree. At check-in the clerk kept offering us various upgrade packages (all over-priced), the parking is horrendous at $60/day (park at Embarcadero 4 for $34), and perhaps the worst offence is $9.95/day for internet access.
All-in-all, a great location but don't stay here unless you get a good deal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the ideal location of our hotel and convenient access to the public transportation. Our valet parking and internet fee are comparable to other hotels in the area and we feel we provide good value. However, that is not your experience and for that, we are truly sorry. Your business is truly appreciated and we hope to see you again.

Sincerely yours,
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last week, and purchased on hotwire. Hotel was in a great location and our room was super clean and comfortable! Would definitely stay here again! Perfect for all San Francisco travel destinations.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear tinkbell1973,

Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted you enjoyed the ideal location and the comfort of our room. Your recommendation is truly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to come to SF on business and attend a summit at the Hyatt. The summit organizer’s had a “special” rate at the hotel, so I decided that it would be not only convenient, but cost effective. Here’s my review:

Check-In: I arrived at the hotel around 4:00pm and was greeted by a really nice/friendly gentleman at the front desk. Now note that this is one of those hotels that doesn’t have its registration desk on the ground floor, so up a couple escalator flights to find him I had to go. He checked me in, and offered me what I’m guessing is an upgrade to a king room when I requested something nice and quiet.

The Room: The room overlooked the Bay Bridge and the Port Building… In a nutshell it was beautiful. When the nut was cracked though, it was extremely loud! Here’s why… if the room’s sliding door windows weren’t exactly aligned then they would let in all of the street noise (Note that the cable car was running directly below on Market).

Food/Service: Ok Toto, we’re not at the W! I had several meals at the hotel (Breakfast, lunch and dinner on multiple days). The food was average to tired at best. On top of that, so was the wait staff. My comparisons in the City left me longing for the W bar, Ame at the St. Regis, and staff of the JW Marriott.

Overall… Average for the money spent. You’d be better off spending the additional money to stay at another property in my opinion.