I stayed at the Hyatt Regency because I attended a conference held at the hotel. It has been more than eight years since I last stayed at this hotel. What a disappointment it was.
First of all the entire hotel has a faded glory look to it. I remember when it was the standard of luxury in San Francisco. But that was more than thirty years ago. The carpet in the guest room was stained, curtain was off the rail and towels were frayed. The duvet was covered with two flat sheets and not in a cover, which made a mess during the night. The management said that this is the standard corporate-wide. Which makes me question the quality of service throughout the chain.
There was bare minimum amenities in room. Other than soap, shampoo and bath gel there was nothing else displayed. The minibar was empty and no coffee or tea was offered in room with the small coffee machine. Admittedly there was a sheet on the desk with a list of item one can call room service to request. But given that other hotels, including many smaller boutique hotels in the city, are able to provide many of these conveniences right in the room I don't see why Hyatt cannot offer the same level of service.
Judging from my experience of this stay the only redeeming quality of the hotel is its location. Being right at the Embarcadero it is near just about every tourist spots in the city. I travel in Asia extensively and perhaps I've been spoiled by the extra personal touches offered in hotels there. But there must be a better way of maintaining these details even in the U.S.
Management said they are about to embark on a guest room renovation program soon. But unless they also raise the level of in room amenities and services I'm not sure I would be back to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 804-room Hyatt Regency San Francisco is the City's only luxury waterfront hotel with breathtaking bay and city views. Ideally located for business and leisure, the hotel is in the Financial District, and close to all major city attractions, and located across the street from the renovated historical Ferry Building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hyatt Regency San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency San Francisco Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt San Francisco