“Very nice indeed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Very nice indeed”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I stopped here for three weeks over the New Year 2009. Very classy. I personally like the concrete curves of it and its massive atrium lobby. The glass elevators take you up to your room and it all feels kind of special.

The room was amazing. I've stopped in a fair share of 5 star hotels and this was assuredly one of them. Huge room with sofa, chairs and writing desk. Large LCD TV and the best en suite bathroom I have ever encountered. TV in the mirror was very novel. Excellent view of the Wharf and bay.

It was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. I had a terrible cold the first few days and needed somewhere to relax: this was the ideal medicine. The food was excellent and we had access with our room to the circular dining area that provides a 180 degree view of the area. Tremendous at night.

The staff were very warm and welcoming. I was chatting in passing to one and just mentioned in conversation that it was my wife's birthday the following day so I was taking her to Ghiardelli's famous ice cream parlour. When we returned from there the next day to our room, without another word, there was a knock and she was served a beautifully arranged chocolate flower display on a plate. She was absolutely bowled over by this and I will be forever grateful to the staff.

It was definitely a 'splurge' to stay there for three weeks, but it was well worth it.

NB - I had to put May 2012 down as that was the earliest date I could go for. :(

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear 766DaveR,

Thank you so much for you review! We are thrilled you and your wife had a wonderful time with us last year May. Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful bay view and the amenities offered at our Regency Club Lounge. I must agree our staffs are great and very attentive to our guests. It is great to hear we left you a long lasting impression. Your recommendation is truly appreciated and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay in this hotel. As sson arrive it was 5 pm and my room was not ready jet. so the concierge told me to wait so I come back after 20 minutes but was no ready so Iask them that I was traveling for business but I have my family with me with child. so after 5 minutes the give me the room.
As soon I arrive in the room there was 3 hunger 1 soap 1 bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of conditioner. 2 small towel and 2 big towel. Incredible for a hotel. The room was dirty and no very clean. I ask for more hunger, towels and soap etc. They toke about 30 minutes to arrive.
Anyway I just want to tell or client to avoide this hotel if they want to have all confort of Hyatt.I was there before and I did not have this type of trettament. I don't know what happened maybe the new General Manager and all the other person they don't know how to run an hotel.
I'm sorry this is not Hyatt, but something similar even is not relative to Hyatt. if you want to have all service that usually Hyatt and all hotel that belong to hyatt give to you don't go there.
Hotel very beautifull but I'm thinking they need somebody that they know how to run an hotel start from the general manager.
Believe I have been in a lots hotel all over the word and after this experience I decide to start to write in Trip Advisor and to let the people know about how treat the people bad and with no service.

Room Tip: Room no clean. Service no good check in disaster.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Rickyus-newyork
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is great for location and service but it comes at a price.

The hotel is big, let me point that out right from the start if you hadn't already gathered. Not Las Vegas big but 802 rooms big. The lifts are on one side of the building overlooking the Atrium.So if you are prone to staggering back from a bar or if you are one of those people who is always late for a meeting you might want to ask for a room near the lifts.

The bar is ok but really overlooked from the other floors (think the Luxor). It isn't really shut off from the whole lobby so can feel a bit impersonal and gold fish bowl like.

Rooms and bathrooms good. Not contemporary and new but still fine. Clean and not shabby. Fridge, desk, coffee maker, toilet and bath separate to the sink. Double doors to outside - no balcony to step out on though.Take your own hair dryer! I might have dried my hair quicker sticking it out of the car window like a dog...

Can hire bikes just outside the hotel and there is a rental company in the lobby which we used. Rubbish sat navs - very basic.Take your own. My tip - drive down to beautiful Carmel - doable in one day and gets you a few hours at the beach.

The only thing we found a negative on was the room service. Really awful and expensive - don't bother. The food was generally classic dishes but with an unwelcome twist which ruins the dish. So what you might expect, you wont get and what you get doesn't taste great. If it aint broke...

The other thing that might bother you is some noise from outside - music and bells. We were high up and facing the wharf. If you have kids it might be something to consider. Didn't bother us so much.

Location wise the hotel is great for getting around (see my note below re cable cars). Its right on top of Pier 1 and the ferry terminal so an easy walk down along the sea and good for the ferry to Alcatraz and Sausalito.

The hotel is situated at the start of the California cable car which is great if you don't fancy walking or if you just want the experience. At the top you can go to Ruth's Chris and there's China Town half way up. Get your tickets on the cable car. It also crosses with other lines so you can hop off and get on another line to get around. We hopped off and got another line which took us to Lombard Street and Fisherman's Wharf. Then we managed to hop on a bus to the Golden Gate Bridge (bit of a distance from the hotel. Wouldn't walk it but you could cycle if relatively fit). We aren't massive public transport users but this was easy.

A few nice restaurants and bars within walking distance from the hotel but we felt this was quite a business district. i.e. busy in the week, quiet at the weekend. Lots of sandwich type places near for bagels, fast food, coffee etc. Shopping too.

Another tip - If you are unfamiliar with San Francisco. Take note of the additional taxes that will appear on your bill - occupancy tax (14%) and CA assessment or Tourist Improvement District Tax (about 1.5%).

WIFI is also expensive at the hotel so find free WIFI at a coffee shop if you don't want to pay the elevated prices.

Overall lots of positives for this hotel but it comes at the cost of being at the higher end of the budget.

Room Tip: Near to lift if needed (see my review) Facing wharf - great views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed there for a conference: it was OK. The staff was nice and I had a room with a beautiful view of the bay. But the hotel is a massive concrete structure that must have looked futuristic or trendy many years ago but looks passe today, something like staying in a "2001 Space Odyssey" recycled decor. The hotel is part of the Embarcadero Center so you feel like living above a mall. It's also not at the level of other Hyatt Regency I stayed at in other cities: the room, the furniture and the bathroom looked really ready for a major refresh.

So again, nothing really wrong but for the price you pay, there are many other options to choose from in the city that are higher standards and more typical San Francisco

Room Tip: ask for a room with balcony and view of the Bay
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed the beautiful bay view from your room. A cosmetic upgrade to refresh all of our guest rooms are scheduled for end of this year. We apologize for not meeting your expectation. We truly appreciate your business and we hope to see you again.

Best regards,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The good
Bed - I have recently hurt my back and the bed was comfortable and good for my healing back - a surprise for a hotel bed

Toothpaste!! - I love the Hyatt provides toothpaste. Other hotels provide soap, lotion, shampoo etc but what about the essential toothpaste

Lunch - the grilled cheese and tomato soup was amazing

Did I mention the staff - very friendly. One of the nights that I was their the hot water went out. While it was annoying and I was tired everyone was very nice and helpful in getting the hot water back on and keeping me up to date with what was going on.

Location - in one word great! restaurants, trolley, shops, everything is accessable

The less than good
The only reason for not having 5 is it is an older hotel and needs a little refresh. But it i not dirty older just older decor older.

Room Tip: There was construction on the side with the higher numbers (so 322 for instance). I was not on that...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Liberty MO
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Hyatt Regency at Embarcadero in San Francisco is a great hotel for either business or a family vacation. The Financial District is often overlooked by families, who often stay closer to some of the tourist sites. However, there are good rates at the Hyatt, especially on weekends. More importantly, the Hyatt is at the confluence of the BART, street car, muni and cable car lines that run along Market and California Streets. You can avoid all of the noise and harrassment of Union Square by staying here.
The hotel is very clean and the staff is as helpful as you can find anywhere in the city. I've stayed here many times on business and personal trips and have never had a bad experience. Try to get a breakfast package, perhaps through AAA, but if you can't the breakfast may be a bit too pricey. There are plenty of coffee shops in the area, though, for inexpensive breakfasts. A favorite thing that you or your kids may enjoy - walk across to the Ferry Building and enjoy breakfast at one of the coffee shops while watching the commuter ferries come in and out. There are several good lunch and dinner options in the Ferry Building too.
Upon arriving, head over to Bay Crossings in the Ferry Building (or go underground at the Embarcadero Station) to buy a Muni pass for each of you for the duration of your stay. You will find the access to inexpensive public transportion preferrable to maintaining and paying for parking for a rental car. They Hyatt has a Budget rental car counter on the Street Level if you want to rent a car for a day trip to Muir Woods, the Golden Gate Bridge, and/or Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore (all recommended). The Muni pass will get you unlimited access on the Muni trains, buses, cable cars and historic streetcars. Get a good map when you get your Muni pass and the city is wide open to you.
For business trips, you are in the heart of the Financial District with easy access to any downtown office. I get the Muni pass even on business trips so I have easy access to the restaurants in North Beach, or along the Market Street. A favorite, the historic Tadich Grill, is within a two or three block walk.
I can't say enough about the wonderful service you will receive at the Hyatt - Embarcadero!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TDHLibertyMO
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! Thank you so much for your review! Sounds like you had a wonderful time exploring San Francisco and took advantage of our convenient location and easy access to the BART and Muni. Our ideal location is unbeatable and I must agree with you the Ferry Building across the street offers a good variety of shops and dining options. Your compliment to our hotel and staffs is much appreciated. Please come back and see us again soon!

Warm regards,
BUENOS AIRES
Reviewed March 28, 2013

You will enter into a HUGE Lobby. Nice People, nice Staff, and the best is the Hotel. I was at room 1219, Bay view area of the Hotel, the best side for me.
Nice room, the incredible view!!! Perfect Location, close to everywhere you want to go, I also took the trolley round trip for one day is $12 each person. There is another trolley running through all the Pier that coast only One Dollar.
I recommend the sightseeing tour, Hop and Hop bus, that shows you all the Beautiful City, to the Golden Gate.
These is one of the most beautiful cities of the US for me.

Room Tip: Take a room to the Bay the views are really AMAZING, you have to walk a little one to get into the r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear SILVINILS,

Wow! Thank you so much for your 5-start review! Sounds like you took advantage of our convenient location and easy access to public transportation to explore San Francisco! The bay view from our room is definitely amazing especially with the Bay Lights sculpture! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and see us again soon!

Best regards,