“Really Nice ...”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Really Nice ...”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We celebrated NYE in the City (San Francisco) as we do every year. But this time we decided to stay at the Hyatt at the Embarcadero. We had a great "king-balcony" room that overlooked the Bay. It was somewhat awkward though navigating the large puddles that had accumulated on the balcony floor after the previous rain. There was so much water pooled there that one had rather wet shoes/slippers after venturing out there, and then tracked the water back into the room.

The furnishings and bathroom fittings were somewhat stale ... but still attractive. The flat-panel TV though was in definite need of replacement. It just looked worn and dirty ... and the remote worked sporadically. The room was very clean, the bed comfy, and we had more than ebnough room for 3 of us (king bed for 2 + a roll-away for 1). Actually I thought that the room was pretty spacious for a non-suite type of room.

As imagined, the hotel was very-very busy because of the NYE crowd. The wait times for the elevators were rather long, and the elevators were terribly crowded. And one needed to "clear security" before entering the hotel property that night ... they were obviously (and thankfully) trying to keep out the non-guests. This area draws a huge crowd on NYE to see the fireworks show along the Bay and it can get really crazy with so many people milling about after the show.

The hotel lobby-atrium is a grand place to be, and Eclipse bar-restaurant there was equally busy. Once note about the Eclipse, since we are local to the area, we often stop by the Hyatt and head into the Eclipse for drinks after work, or on the weekend, and also stay for dinner occasionally. It's really a nice place to relax and enjoy the beautiful lobby atrium and sights.

If you are a touist to SF, then this is also a really convienant place to stay. It's right at the foot of Market Street ... one of the famed cable car lines starts right outside the front doors to the hotel, and the MUN and BART transit station is right there as well. And if you don't want to take public transit, then a cab ride to Union Square for example will cost about $10, or you can walk it i about 20 minutes. Or you can hop on one of the vintage street-cars and ride over to Fisherman's Wharf .... or head in the other direction and head over to the Castro.

My only real complaint is that the room was over-priced. I know it was NYE and so prices would be somewhat higher ... but based on my research it looks like we paid about $200 a night more for the room. For us the room total for one night was $575 which included all of the various taxes and fees + parking (at $57 per day) and wifi (at $10 per day).

We'll certainly be back for sure ... it's a great hotel and I think more than worthy of a vacation or business stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay view room, and depending on the location you'll be able to see the Ferry Terminal...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review! We are delighted you celebrated the New Year with us at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. The bay view from the balcony is definitely beautiful and it is great to hear you enjoyed the Eclipse restaurant as well as the holiday decorations in the atrium! I must agree with you our convenient location is unbeatable especially when exploring San Francisco. Your business is much appreciated and thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manteca, California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Looked everywhere online to find a hotel with a view of the NYE firework display near the ferry building in San Fran. We have a 2 year old and a 2 month old so we needed a place where we could stay indoors vs. out in the crowd with thousands of drunks. We stayed here in one of the Embarcadero Suites (Room 317). All of the Embarcadero Suites are on the Market Street side closest to the Ferry Building (and I think they are all the X17 rooms). One entire wall of the suite is windows that open to overlook Market. The fireworks this year were launched just off Pier 14 (which is normally where they do it). We ended up with a perfect view with the Bay Bridge in the background!! It was expensive for one night (valet was an additional $57) but well worth doing it once! If the fireworks are launched north of Pier 14, there are large windows just outside the room door with a perfect view of the Ferry Building and the area north of that.

7 Thank MTafoya_16
Bakersfield
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just returned from a three-night stay at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco, and we enjoyed it so much. We had a room on the 16th floor, with access to the Regency Club. Our room was spacious and comfortable for my family of four, and being able to use the club was a nice bonus. The people who work in the hotel were nothing but nice to us from the time we checked in until we left.

The location is great, just across the Embarcadero from the Ferry Building, and because it's at the convergence of Market and California, there's easy access to the trolley and California line of the cable cars.

Yes, the parking is expensive. You can park a couple of blocks away at the Embarcadero Center for a little over $30, though.

This will be our first choice for hotels in San Francisco from now on.

Room Tip: Good for disabled travelers
Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are thrilled you had such a great experience at the hotel! Our convenient location to public transportation and many San Francisco attractions is definitely unbeatable and I'm particular happy to read the nice compliments about our staff. I will be sure to share your review with the team. Your recommendation is our biggest compliments. Please come back and see us again soon!

San Diego, California
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Let me start with saying I normally stay at Hyatt properties when I travel. I am a Gold Hyatt member and appreciate their hotel chain most of the time..this time I was disappointed. My husband and I originally booked our room for 4 nights. However, upon check in a male employee asked if we wanted to upgrade for 40 dollars a night with a bay view. I declined and when I did his demeanor changed. He was not as pleasant and was a bit dismissive. When we walked into our room I noticed there was a water bottle in the mini bar that someone left behind (half full) and the bed had hair on it. Gross. So....I went downstairs to ask for another room. I was told there were no more rooms available at my rate (government rate)... I told the same person I wanted to check out. I was told I was going to pay for one night...really? I was only in the hotel room for maybe 1 minute. When I complained and asked for the manager ...he then stated we could be changed to another room (with a bay view without the forty dollars extra)....so we agreed. The room was spacious with a partial view of the bay and with a balcony. Next day housekeeping did not put toilet paper in our very small bathroom and they left trash on the floor. Also, my husband and I went to their bar to have one drink and appetizers during happy hour. A waiter came over and asked if we wanted to order when I said we were there for happy hour she said that we could not get the rate as we were ten minutes too early. Wow really 10 minutes? When I said we would wait she left and had a sour look on her face. Luckily about 2 minutes later a waiter who was way friendlier took our order and gave us the happy hour price.....He was the only person who was friendly and efficient at this Hyatt. Even when I called the front desk....there was an negative attitude. Tired of the unprofessional way in we were treated we checked out on the second day and went to the St. Regis where we felt like welcomed guests. My opinion..do not stay here if you want a pleasant stay. Sadly, this is the only Hyatt property I disliked intensely.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Angelica S
Santa Cruz, California, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Not a bad hotel. The lobby and atrium are really impressive. They boasted snow making in the lobby which was actually soap bubbles. The parking fee of $57 seemed really high. The location is pretty good. The room was OK. The shower area was dated and needed an upgrade and the carpet was a bit tired. The staff were very nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the skating rink which has music blasting till 10:30 every night...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the beautiful atrium lobby during the holiday season. There will be a cosmetic upgrade to our rooms in a few months and it will definitely help refresh our current guestrooms. Our valet parking fee is comparable to other hotels in the area and we feel we provide good value, however that is not your experience and for that, we are truly sorry. Your business is truly appreciated and we hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely yours,
Reviewed December 26, 2012

when we got to the hotel the check in person gave us a awesome deal. two days in the regency club for the price of one! the room was on the 17th floor, which was the highest floor you can live on . there was a tv in the bathroom mirror! i couldn't believe it! the next morning we had breakfast at the regency club. the regency club had free drinks, a variety of food, massage chairs tv and computers. it also has a 360 view of San Francisco. during lunch there is also fruits and drinks. at night there is deserts and more drinks. also free wifi in your room. the atrium is beautiful and santa even was there!

Room Tip: the regency club rooms have tv mirrors and good views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are thrilled you had such a great experience with us. Sounds like you had a really awesome time enjoying the amenities offered at the Regency Club lounge! I must agree with you the beautiful bay view from our lounge is definitely stunning. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Nice hotel with shady valet parking. It is very sad that this hotel treats its customers with sub-zero star, outsourced valet parking. They put the Hyatt Regency chain to shame. It makes me feel uneasy that I get worse treatment at a local hotel than any hotels I’ve stayed at outside the country this year. My company spent thousands on a block of rooms and conference rooms so that we could have a nice holiday party there. Too bad I decided to go with the family in my own car and trusted their "premium" valet.

Staying there cost me an extra 600$ on top of the 57$ valet parking with the damages their careless valet made to my car. Try to walk, cab or bus there but don’t even let them take care of a rental car or bike, who knows what their dazed valet might do to it. Then they will tell you that you have no way to prove they did the damage. Guess installing a camera in the car is a must.

Next year, the company will go party elsewhere and I will leave my car at home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank ChuckGee
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear ChuckGee,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. A private message has been sent to you requesting for more information on your recent stay. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,