“The Big Disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Berwyn, Illinois
“The Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I just came back from a Memorial day weekend stay at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. Though I liked the city, my stay at the Hyatt was a major disappointment. Starting with my check in, I was asked by the receptionist if for $40.00 extra if I wanted a room with a Bay View, I said sure. She gave me my card key and went about her business. I asked her for directions to my room and all she did was point in the direction of the elevators. Once I got to my room, I saw out the window and saw not the Bay but a building across the street. But if I went to the window and looked to the far left, I was able to see a little view of the Bay, so for $40.00 extra this was my Bay view.

The room itself was very “Spartan” a bed, a TV and desk and two chairs. On closer inspections, there were spots on the bathroom wall, the curtains on the windows, the bedroom sheets, there were also spots on the and dings on the table and furniture. There was no mini bar, no coffee machine or even bottle water. Some how I never associated a room in any Hyatt being described as Spartan.

The employees there were also no very helpful, when I went to their business center to use a computer, I inquired first how to get there, and was told at the reception desk, “2nd floor”, when I asked where on the second floor the receptionist rolled their eyes and gave me a :what are you a dope look”. Then when I found it and wanted to know how to pay for it’s use I asked the person working in the business center, they also rolled their eyes and just pointed to the side of the monitor where you can slide your credit card. After that I did not bother to ask any employee anything. Also during my stay there, not once did the doorman, or any employee bother to say “hello”, “good morning or good evening”.

The only plus was the hotel is centrally located near many sights, restaurants and shopping so the hotel has that going for it. Last November I stayed at Hyatt in Ho Chi Min City in Vietnam and was absolutely blown away by there service and attention to the smallest detail. Thinking I would experience something similar here at this Hyatt I was gravely disappointed.

To sum up you can avoid this Hyatt, small dingy rooms, rude employees, bad service. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Chuy64
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a feedback, which helps us improve. At Hyatt, we strive to provide a memorable stay and exceptional service to our guests, but seems we failed during your stay. For that, we are truly sorry.

We take your comment very seriously. If you could send us a private message with your contact information, we would love to discuss further with you and want to regain your confidence back. Rest assured, your review will be shared with my management team.

We look forward to hearing from you.
Tiffany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

The Hyatt at the Embarcadero Center offers excellent service, especially the concierge desk, and its location is ideal for those who want to have easy access to public transportation and to the fabulous Ferry Building. Our room overlooking the bay was great, and the bed was very comfortable, inlike many hotel beds. I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Foodiedumonde
Dear Value Guest,

Wow! Thank you so much for your 5-star review! Your recommendation is our biggest compliment! We certainly look forward to welcome you back in the near future!

Truly yours,
portland, or
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Every time I passed the check-in desk, I heard the clerks trying to get someone to upgrade. And it's a good idea. I came for a conference and upgraded to a Bay view room on the 14th floor. I loved my balcony and the view. and even if my employer won't pay the extra, it was worth it to me. However, the rest wasn't so nice. The smoke alarm over my bed flashed bright green and red lights all night. I talked to three desk clerks about this because it was keeping me awake, and they all said this is the way the alarms are supposed to function. (Mine at home don't, and I never had one like this in a hotel before.) A sleep mask is the only solution. Another problem is that unlike any other expensive hotel I've stayed in, the rooms do not have thermostats, just a small vent with a slider from warm to cool that does little to combat the stuffiness in the room (or change the temperature). I had to sleep with the balcony door open, which was okay because the weather was mild. The in-room coffee is awful. The little fridge can't be adjusted and freezes everything. The room is small. The bed is lumpy. The soap smells terrible. The location is convenient to tourist attractions and on most (but not all) San Francisco bus lines. As a San Franciscan now living elsewhere due to my job, I found it only moderately convenient, but those who don't want to go into any neighborhoods except Chinatown and North Beach will like it better. I must say it was great for taking BART to Oakland to see family. But for anyone who wants to enjoy The City not just attend a business meeting and/or cut 15 minutes off their trip to Oakland, there are many better choices for the money.

Room Tip: Bring a sleep mask and ear plugs.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are pleased you enjoyed the bay view from your room and the convenient public transportation offered outside of our hotel. We apologize for the less than ideal experience you had in our guestroom. Please send us a private message with your name, date of stay so that we can further investigate. Rest assured, your feedback will be reviewed by my management team.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights during a conference. The location was within walking distance of many offices, shops and restaurants in the Financial District, as well as the Ferry Building. The service was great; staff offered me free in-room Wifi and held my luggage after I checked out.

1 Thank Poppler-Powell
Dear Poppwell,

Thank you so much for your great review! We truly appreciate your business and look forward to welcome you back in the near future for business or leisure!

New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed at this Hyatt Regency for a conference, which was also located in the hotel. If I could give the hotel 3.5 I would have, but some spotty service with packages for the convention knock it down to 3.
To speak to the conference/banquets side of things-- it took a really long time and a lot of prompting to get all of the packages that had been sent to me. For most visitors this will never come up anyway, but it was certainly annoying. Just something to be aware of if you are here for work.
To the hotel itself and rooms, the review is more positive. Every staff member I came in contact with was very friendly and helpful. even more than would be expected. I found the room itself to be fine-- seemed clean, furniture was fine, bed was above average, and contrary to some other reviews, my bathroom was plenty spacious with a large countertop for toiletries. Nice big desk for working, plus a chair and ottoman by the window for reading or taking in the view. The TV swivels so you can watch it from wherever you like in the room-- I'm surprised by how many hotels don't have that little detail.
The con to the room was noise. I was on a low floor-- the the front desk person did offer a higher room, just with 2 beds instead of 1 king-- but I could hear noise from the outside all day and night, as well as music from the atrium. It wasn't terribly loud, but if you are a light sleeper, it will definitely be noticeable. I ended up downloading a white noise app on my phone and was fine with that on.
Location was very good, close the the piers an the market and public transportation. I was able to take the Bart to the airport for $8 and it took about an hour door to door-- not bad at all. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but ask for a high floor if outside noise bothers you.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a quieter room.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

You already know this hotel has a great location - here's the highs and lows.

Highs - great convention wi-fi, attentive management, huge hotel, great lobby views, fast elevator, San Fran cable cars stops right outside front door.

Lows - small rooms, wi-fi in room is so bad it's unusable, small hallway/walkway is so small in some areas that if your room is on an upper floor and heights bother you - ask to stay on a lower floor.

*Note: the subway from the airport stops right outside this hotel at the Embarcadero stop.

You will get the great comfort and service you are used to at Hyatt hotels.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you kindly for your review. We appreciate your compliments on our convenient location, staffs and the beautiful architect. We apologize for any convenience caused due to the quality of our in-room wi-fi. Rest assured, your feedback will be reviewed by my management team.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you back.

Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

This hotel was booked by our tour company for our first 2 nights in San Francisco. It was so interesting with the lights that emphasized the atrium that soared into the sky. My sense of it was futuristic- a Blade Runner sort of environment. Very simple and streamlined, but with exceptional service and a wonderful breakfast buffet. People were universally helpful and the beds were terrific. The location was so terrific as well- a few steps from Embarcadero Square with all the people and booths and in walking distance to the piers. Very comfortable. It just had an unusual vibe of life in the 22nd century!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Your recommendation is our biggest compliment! We are thrilled you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the comfortable Grand Bed in our guestroom! Our beautiful atrium lobby is indeed recorded as the World's Largest Atrium Lobby in the world and it's the first time we heard 'futuristic', we love it! Thank you! It's always great to hear our associates were able to assist with your needs and provided exceptional service.

We look forward to welcome you back soon!