“It was nice but...I mean it is a Hyatt...what I expected but nothing stellar”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #49 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I stayed at the Hyatt from Jan 24-27th for a conference
The first night rate was 269 and the other two nights were 200 (conference rate)...Please also see my Parc 55 review during the same stay.

1. Location and Size: Unlike the Parc 55 hotel which has 1000 rooms compared to this hotel's 800, the Hyatt feels massive. The moment you walk off its street level you are shown a map that has all its various levels for conference rooms and check in etc. Once I found the atrium to check in ( left the luggae with the bellman) I was asked it I wanted to upgrade my room for 35 dollars a night to a bay view. I said no thank you. I figured I wouldn't get an upgrade anyway. I mean it is a Hyatt so they kinda give off the vibe they don'ty have to try and impress you with perks such as upgrades get to make you smile. Kinda like, "if you had the money you would of gotten it already". It was ok, I had had my great view the night before :). It was raining a lot so I didn't take in the locations pro/cons. Overall it was an asset. The cable car stops in front of the hotel and you can get a troplly to FWarf if you'd like in front of the Ferry building. The cons were that since it is in the financial district all the nearby stores like Starbucks, Coffe bean and tea leaf, and Walgreens closed super early. No 11pm coffee here.

Staff: When I went up to my room the first time I found it has just been finished being cleaned. I noticed later that there was a sink problem (no biggie the sink just fiulled up quickly) I guess the maid from the previously must of reported it becaue the next afternoon I had a matienance man show up to unclog the sink. I just wished the hotel at notified me with a phone call because I had to wait 15 min for the facilities person to fix the sink when I had wanted to relx and change clothes for the next part of my day (post conference). The concereige had a great attitude and was fery helpful in sending me to the Ferry Building for Food which was AWESOME ( you must go|)

Room: It was nice, ok view, bit of the bay. You have to be cool with your inner exhibitionist because bascically since I was on the 7th floor (or 10 by their elevator) I was smack in front of a bunch of office buildings so people can watch you if the draps are opened ( didn't matter much to me). CON: The mini-bar. If you TOUCH or MOVE anything, you WILL BE CHARGED FOR IT..the pro was that all the locals I told this story were shocked and laughed with me about how absurd it was. If you want to rent the fridge it is $30 bucks a day and the housekeeping staff must remove all the items.

Other facts: Their restaurant on the rooftop is closed currently. That would of been nice. The business center charges 5.95 for 15 min of internet and 35 cents after that. You cannot charge it to your room and must use a credit card.

I mean it was ok..the conference was well-organized, and I did grow to like the Hyatt. It just wasn't stellar with the exception that the Ferry Building, its food and gifts is the BEST!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank pulgadelmundo

Reviewed January 26, 2008

The lobby is an architectural wonder, and the rooms are quiet and very comfortable. Great amenities, knowledgeable and professional staff. Location is ideal -- in the financial district, walking distance from the Embarcadero piers, Chinatown, North Beach, and other tourist locations.

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 10, 2008

They will nickle and dime you to death. Food service exhorbitant, $10 per day for internet. A charge to open the minibar even if nothing used.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2008

We stayed at this hotel during the week between Christmas and New Year's and it was awesome. My husband and I were traveling with our three children and their two cousins, so we had two rooms. The rooms were beautiful and unusually large for a hyatt and a big city. There is an entrance area to the room that is separate from the room itself, and is a great area for storage, so the room, itself, doesn't feel cluttered. We had an awesome view of the Bay Bridge, which we were not at all expecting. (Ask for a room facing the water/bridge; it costs the same and is much nicer than looking at another tall building.) The lobby is beautiful with stunning lights hanging from the extremely tall (17 floors?) ceiling. At christmastime, the lobby is decorated with holiday villages that are spectacular. The kids loved looking at them. The location of the hotel is great. You are across the street from the Ferry Building, which has lots of stores/restaurants, and you are a 15 minute walk away from Union Square and a large indoor shopping mall on Market Street. You could also probably walk to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Since we were a party of seven, we could not all fit into one cab. So, we often took the hotel limousine, which costs about $30. to take you (one way) to most places in the city. (This price was only slightly more than paying for two cabs, and obviously much more pleasant. The limo driver was very nice and the car was clean and roomy.) Overall, I highly recommend this hotel, and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank LosAngelesCourtney
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Hyatt Regency was a very nice hotel, with a spectacular open-air lobby ... streamed with holiday lights and Christmas village, train displays during our stay. Upon entering the lobby via escalators, one is overwhelmed with the lights cascading from the top.

The front desk was pleasant, though not very flexible. We booked a room via Priceline bid, and requested a high floor, but given lower floor. Given the hotel did not seem fully booked or crowded, we presumed it was b/c we booked thru Priceline (and the low rate). In fact, the front desk tried 'selling' us on an upgrade for a higher floor, with balcony, with a view of SF Bay for an additional $30. That's a third of our rate! We declined.

The room was on the 4th floor and had a view of Market Street, and the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge. So we got some views anyway...

The room was fine, with King size bed, basic toiletries, coffee maker...and an in-room safe. The bathroom was a little small, and dated but sufficient. Our only issue was the a/c-heat was not very consistent. Wish they had a thermostat vs a cool-warm range for fan, and there was no auto setting. At times it was very warm, and vice versa .. .depending on when we turned on, how long, etc. Not a big deal, as we weren't in room much.

Hotel is at the Embarcadero area, mostly offices .. but very convenient to the Ferry building, street cars, BART, buses and cable car terminus on California St (essentially right outside of hotel). At night, it's very quiet, given offices empty out, and especially the weekend when we were there. They did have weekend food market and arts/crafts vendors selling wares between the hotel to the Ferry building.

Overall, a pleasant stay here. Easy access to public transportation and waterfront.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2008

OK So I only stayed here for 2 nights while traveling for work, but I did get enough time to poke around and make a few notes.

This hotel has one great feature, that being the view you can get of the bay and in particular the Bay Bridge.

The service was really good I had asked the conceirage desk a few times for suggestions on where to eat and about how to get to places and every time they had accurate knowledge and I felt confident in finding where to go.

The quality of the room was nice, but I would say that a good spring or fall cleaning is needed more than what they actually do in the rooms.
If you're not afraid of heights definitely get a higher floor room if possible.
The bed was nice, it did have a bit of a dip in it, but I have seen worse.

Checking in was easy and the lobby/atrium was very nicely decorated with lights, probably for the holiday season.
Checking out was even easier. I told them my room number and they printed me a receipt, done.

They did even have a airline check in PC available at the front desk which made for an easy way to check in for our flight.

With the BART, ferry and trolley's all in this area it was very easy to get around the area and to/from the airport.

Personally I don't think I would book this hotel again, but if I couldn't go to my first choice for San Fran, this would be a decent back up option.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank OrionPax
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Great location for going to the Piers and good resturants all in walking distance. Also great for using the cable cars and street cars to get to other places as they picked you up right outside. Recommend getting a room with a balconey that faces the ocean...beautiful views!! It was a comfortable stay, nice beds and shower. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business