“If the rate is cheap, then book away”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #48 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We were in SF for a work/pleasure trip for 4 nights and after doing lots of research, I found the Hyatt rate to be the most reasonable for the time we were there. As a Diamond Hyatt member, I spend lots of time in Hyatt properties and this is definitely not one I will revisit in the near future. The only positive out of the hotel would be the location and access to public transportation. . The first issue we had was when we arrived, I went to put a bottle of water in the mini-fridge and it was full of left over food from a previous guest! The smell was horrific. Otherwise, the rooms were the most outdated and worn that I've been in a long time. The black tile in the bathroom and the size of the shower was purely laughable - it was suitable for a 5 year old, except everytime I tried to open or close the glass door, I was convinced it was going to fall off the hinges. The mini-blinds in the bathroom were full of dust, there is not a sink with any counter space. Several times throughout our stay, we called down to the front desk to ask a few questions and were either put on hold immediately and left there (once for over 5 minutes!!!) and another time they didn't even answer! Again, as a Diamond member, this was becoming more and more funny to me. We did have access to the Regency Club - the views were nice, but we really didn't use it much as we wanted to enjoy the restaurants in SF. If the room rates were cheaper, I could understand but for what rates were going for during our stay, I'm sad to say we chose the wrong place. When the hotel undergoes some renovations/improvements, we will definitely be back, but for the time being, check out some other newer renovated properties in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We pride ourselves in providing great service to our guests and clearly we fall short this time. Please accept our sincere apologies.

A private message has been sent to you to gather more information on your stay. Please kindly reply to us, so that we can improve and avoid the similar situation from happening again.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Week end with friends in SFO.
Great location, across from the Ferry building. Handy for eating and the market.Bart is at your door step so very easy access from the airport.California cable car line also at your door to get around town.
Hotel is large with huge atrium, fast elevators to clean comfortable rooms.Gym on site is very nice loads of cardio equipment , but no pool/sauna or steam.
Had an issue with pigeons in the room when we got back on night ( window was shut, 2 pigeons inside room, feathers and poop on carpet???) how did they get in if the window was shut? mystery! Resolved promptly by very courteous hotel staff and moved in minutes to a new room.
Overall would recommend for location and great price from hotwire.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear kaypeaDeltaBc,

Thank you kindly for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your time in San Francisco. Our convenient location to public transportation and Ferry Building is definitely unbeatable. At Hyatt, it is our goal to provide quick and efficient to our guests, so I am particular happy to hear our staff was able to assist you with your needs promptly. Your recommendation is our greatest compliment! We look forward to see you soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed May 9, 2012

We were here for a week for a conference. Our suite was clean, comfortable and had a wonderful view (but outdated decor). Links to public transportation are perfect. For those who wish to avoid the internet charge, there's a Starbucks right across the street. Ferry Terminal with its great food market and restaurants across another street. Impressive lobby. Great staff, including polite, excellent cleaning people. There was a strike going on, but it basically provided street theatre and did not impact guests or quality of stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelerTrish75
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Dear TravelerTrish73,

Thank you for kindly for your review. I am particular happy to read your comment about our staffs who provided great service to you and I will definitely share your compliment with my team. Thank you again for your 4-star review. Please come back and see us again!

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Priceline picked this hotel for us and we got a heck of a deal.
Great location and within walking distance from a lot of things and a short trolley ride to Fisherman's Wharf.
The lobby of the hotel is impressive and the service was curteous.
The room was okay for a Hyatt. It was as expected. One could observe that the hotel had been there for a while. It wasn't the nicest of rooms. It was clean, but older.
You can grab the BART (train system) to and from the Airport, and there's a stop a block from the Hyatt.
**TAKE NOTICE - We had a VERY hard time finding a cab at Fisherman's Wharf after 9PM. You may want to get familiar with the trolley system.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ezra N
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Ezra,

Thank you kindly for your review and for sharing the tip about transportation from Fisherman's Wharf after 9 p.m.! We are pleased you enjoyed your visit in San Francisco. Our hotel lobby is indeed very impressive and it is the largest atrium hotel in the world! We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

All the best,

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency in the financial district of San Francisco for business and pleasure..
Pros: Location
Impressive Lobby
Polite employees. Concierge was great!
Cons: Drab outdated rooms
Outdated Bathroom
No spa / pool on site
I did enjoy my stay but it would have been a much more positive experience if the room was more stylish and the bathroom was updated. I expected more from a Hyatt as far as the decor.in the rooms.

Room Tip: the elevators and only located at one location on the floor and there are a lot of rooms per floor s...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mary_buys

Dear Mary_buys,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our convenient location! We strive to provide the best hotel experience for our guests and we apologize for the disappointment on the outdated room's decor. I hope this will not deter you from visiting us again. Your comment is greatly appreciated and I have shared them with my management team to review.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Perfect! I was only in SF for 2 nights and this was central enough to enjoy all the sights of SF, plus it was just a 30 second walk to the main ferry terminal.
The rooms were spotless and incredibly comfortable. Of course this is a very large hotel but despite that the staff were great and it didn't feel too impersonal.
I didn't pay for my stay here (I was treated) so cannot comment on the value but it is certainly somewhere I would stay again

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MissLinus2000
mbort088, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear MissLinus2000,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a review! I'm glad you had the opportunity to explore San Francisco during your short stay with us. I must agree our hotel has the ideal location and amazing view of the pier! We look forward to welcome you back in the near future for a longer stay with us!

Truly yours,

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero for four nights while I attended a conference.
The location is central to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and Union Square.
The BART station is right outside the door, as is the Embarcadero cable car stop.
My comfy room was overlooking the ice skating rink.
The hotel itself is huge, and the staff was attentive and hard-working. Christmas atmosphere was so excited ! You have to know - Internet access is $9.95 per day. There is Gym but unfortunately, no spa or swimming pool.
Anyway, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank evakama
mbort088, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear evakama,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us back in December 2011. I have to agree with you our location is ideal and easy access to many attractions! Our staffs will appreciate your compliments when we share your comment with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

Truly yours,