“Met Our Expectation”

Ranked #56 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Chester, United Kingdom
“Met Our Expectation”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We started our 17 day American road trip by staying 4 nights in this hotel. I must admit I was very happy with it overall.

Location: Ideally situated in the heart of Fishermans wharf, it was close enough to walk to Pier 39, The Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, Alcatraz Ferry, two of the Cable Car stops and many other attractions. Plenty of restaurant choices close along with Bike Hire & Hop on-off bus tours.

Room: We had a large corner room with two queen beds, the room & bathroom were both very clean and modern, we also had a sofa and table.

Food: We didnt eat in the Hotel, so cannot comment

Service: We found the Hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful, Even down to the concierge who was out stopping cabs in the street at 6:30am for us.

Negatives: It was fairly costly per night, but this seems to be consistent with staying in the Wharf area. There was some noise from outside late in the evening when the bars closed but this was short lived as people moved away from the area, this wouldn't stop me from going back.

All in all, definitely enjoyed staying in the Wharf and glad we did so over Union Square.

2 Thank Gareth H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We started our trip in San Francisco and this hotel was the perfect location. The staff was so great and friendly. We arrived from the airport and got our room right away which was a positive start to our vacation. When we would come back from our long day , the staff would always greet us with a smile and hello. They were so helpful with the million of questions we asked them. There is only a Starbucks on site but you can walk to so many amazing restaurant's you don't need anything more. The room was a good size and clean. We would stay there again.

Basalt, CO
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

There are many more hotels in San Francisco that are a much better value. Everything about it was average except he extraordinary price. No value here. And the concierge seemed to have less knowledge than I do about good SF restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013
toronto
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hotel is perfectly situated in Fisherman's Wharf and within easy walks to attractions, restaurants and short cab rides from everything you want in downtown SF. The hotel staff were very nice. The rooms were good but not great. We went on points so "free" always works for us. If you are looking for a good hotel in the heart of the Wharf this is a great pick. McDonald's and In & Out are next door for those days when a burger has to do.

Levittown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Very clean and convenient, if staying ask for a courtyard view, as Beach street can be very noisy at night. We stayed in room 448, and it overlooked the courtyard. We slept like babies. The king size bed and pillows were very very comfortable. We stayed for 3 nights on our way to Maui, however, I broke my 4th toe (on the very first night), of staying here. Just beware of the door stopper in the bathroom on the back of the door, while putting our soap and shampoo in the shower, i walked right into it. It was not a spring type, but a appx. 3-4 inch solid one. Im sure Im not the first, and I know I wont be the last. The next morning, we were going to Alcatraz, and before going, I mentioned it to the woman in the lobby, she asked me if I wanted to see the manager, i told her no, but while we were getting directions to the F line to pier 39 for Alcatraz, she informed the manager, who in turn came right out, and wanted me to see a doctor. I declined, as I had taped my 2 toes together, it wasn't the first time I had done something like this, and im sure it wont be the last. Other than that, I highly recommend this Courtyard, its clean, and walking distance to the wharf, however, take the F line to pier 39, if thats where your headed. The staff are very helpful, and knowledgable on whatever info you need.

Room Tip: Room 448 , high floor, courtyard view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mollysmama
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Recently spend 4 nights at this hotel with 6 fellow travellers before heading to San Diego for a wedding. We had a good check in with a pleasant young lady and were very happy with our rooms which were clean, spacious and nicely decorated. The location is perfect for walking around the Wharf area and beyond. A short ride over the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito by cab where we spent a wonderful day shopping, sightseeing and dining. Took a bus into Haight Ashbury and did a bit of shopping but mostly just wandering around and reflecting on how it was in the 60's, won't probably go back there but glad I did this time. Did the City Tour which was a lot of fun and was booked for us by the wonderful "Edward" (I believe Concierge) who was the most pleasant and helpful person I have ever encountered in the hospitality business in all my travels! Nothing we asked of him was too much and spend time to make sure we got all of our questions answered...every hotel should have an Edward.:) There is a great little restaurant/cafe just out the front door and across the road to the right which has an outdoor patio to enjoy their wonderful breakfast! Will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here the night of August 7th, the first night of our family of four's vacation. Our flight had been delayed and we ended up not arriving until 2:00 AM local time, exhausted. The first disappointment came when we handed over our keys to the valet and were informed that the charge for parking would be $57. Ouch. I then went to check in, and appeared to have interrupted the front desk clerk who was busy working on a book-keeping issue, the counter spread with receipts and adding machine tapes. He reluctantly pulled himself away from his work to check me in, seeming truly disappointed that he had to actually deal with a paying customer.

Our room on the third floor was suitable -- clean and comfortable -- and the location allows for easy access to Fisherman's Wharf. Be warned that relatively busy streets front the hotel. A room on an upper floor is recommended due to street noise.

In the end this was a suitable option for a cost of roughly $350, but I pine for the days when service at a Marriott was stellar. I'm not sure what's happened, but the last few stays I've had at one of their properties has left me flat. This seemed to be more of the same.