New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of San Francisco Inn

San Francisco Inn
Ranked #140 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
San Antonio, Texas
“Nice service, small rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

At first, I was disappointed to see a small room for the price we payed for it. But it was not bad experience at all. We arrived around midnight there and found that lights were not working in the washroom. The lady at front desk was quick to respond and shifted us to another room.
Breakfast is limited. We preferred using public transportation and were pleased to find bus stop in the front of hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank TravelerRijo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was apprehensive about staying here, thinking it would be shabby and a bit rough around the edges, however I was pleasantly surprised. True our room was small but it had everything we needed and was very clean. We were worried about being able to park because it was on a first come basis, we didn't arrive until 7pm and had no problem. It is a noisy street and a 20 minute walk to the cable car terminus and there is nowhere nearby to eat BUT in a very expensive city it was just fine for our two night stay. Breakfast was limited and served in the small lobby so no option but to take it to your room on a tray but I was pleased to see fresh orange juice which was lacking in some of the other places we stayed on this trip. I think we would spend a little more next time to be in a better location, but no real complaints

Room Tip: Would be quieter towards the back of the building
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Nicky L
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed on may 2014 and it was great, reasonable price, clean, comfortable room, people in the front desk very helpful and friendly, location very convenient, the breakfast good. I have no complaints about this inn, and if I come back to San Francisco definitely would like to stay there again because is cheap but nice. Perfect if you are looking a place only for B&B

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Valley Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I booked three rooms at four nights for my company & crew. We were spread out on two floors. I entered two of three rooms and found them both to be clean and up to date, with "No funny smells." It's San Francisco, so parking is always tight. Our company cars X2 had covered, on-site parking. Also had a large work truck that was too big to fit in covered parking. We had no trouble finding street parking right in front each evening after returning from the job. Parking is not metered after 6pm. Just remember to pick the side of the street that isn't having early morning street cleaning. We walked North four blocks to Market Street and grabbed the "F" Trolley Car (Trolley's all Restored from the 40's-60's past) for 2-bucks each. Dropped at Fisherman's Wharf and even had transfers for a free ride back up Market Street for later. Staff was great, especially Jasmine & Lisa, both ladies knew the INN and surrounding areas, such as restaurants and activities. Great Stay. Thanks-David

Room Tip: Right off the 5th Street exit 2a, heading South West from SFO Bay Bridge. Just West four block and u...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David S
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Facility is a little tired, but clean, comfortable and the staff is great. Lack of elevator is probably the only downside and parking can be tight. Would def stay there again. not too far out the way, and only a $8.00 cab ride to center of town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jack G
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed in this inn for 5 days while attending the Game Developer's conference in Moscone center in 2014. This place is about 25 mins walking from the conference and city center and has a number of bus stops around - so you can easily hop on buses which come around every 12-15 mins or so.

On the outset, this inn is pretty good value for money. While everything was expensive around the conference, this place was reasonably priced.

The rooms are good - my room was a bit oddly shaped - with the table jutting out - but as such, it was clean and the beds are really comfortable.

They have a mini refrigerator and microwave in the room along with tea and coffee maker. They also have a vending machine - but that is only for soft drinks and water.

They have breakfast in the morning - cornflakes, juice, packed, coffee, packaged danish pastries which you can take in a tray to your room.

As such, this is high value for money in a place like San Francisco and I had a comfortable stay.

They had old CRT TVs and also a decent internet connection. I was able to get most of my work done thanks to this.

The bathroom was of a decent size and clean. The shower pressure was also average. A little more water pressure would be ideal.

However, this is NOT a stay throughout the day place. You will be disappointed if you plan to stay in the inn all day. This is mostly a leave-in-the-morning-and-come-at-night place.

My schedule was exactly this - so I had a comfortable stay.

Security wise, the rooms are protected by a gate which can be opened via key card along with separate access to your room. The streets outside are mostly empty - but you don't feel unsafe. I was able to walk back to my room one night at around 10ish without feeling unsafe.

There are however a few things that you must know.

1. Throughout my stay, there was some road construction happening right outside. They would start at 7 am and it was loud. However, I would be gone by 8 - so this did not affect me much. But this could affect you if you plan to stay longer. Hopefully they get done soon.

2. There are very few places to eat around here. Except for a sushi place, I think most of the places were around 3 - 4 blocks away.

3. There is a Trader Joe just 2 blocks away on 11th street. I stocked up on some water and other things from here. If you prefer bottled water, I'd recommend the same.

4. If you are getting breakfast, I'd recommend getting it before 8:15am. Primarily because the trays get over (they are in short supply) and you will have a difficult time carrying your food upstairs in your arms.

Minor peeve:
On the day I arrived (after a 22hr flight), there was some work happening outside - due to which there was no water. I was told by the front desk staff that it would be back in about 45 mins. When it wasn't back after an hour an a half, I inquired - but was greeted by a "Oh. We were told 45 mins and it isn't back - so there is nothing I can do about it."

While I agree there was nothing they could do about it, it could possibly be handled a little better. I felt that the front desk staff was apathetic towards my situation and didn't really care.

Once when I reached breakfast at 8:45, the trays were over (see #4 above), the staff was like: "All the guests took it. <shrugs and goes back to the computer>. Sorry"

Again, it felt very apathetic.

In conclusion:
I would still rate this place a 4 because it is really good value for money. Some of the staff can be a little apathetic - which prevented me from rating it a 5 - but otherwise it is a good stay if you're looking for a comfortable and safe place to sleep and within a mile from the city center.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo