“great place to stay,”
Review of San Francisco Inn

San Francisco Inn
Ranked #143 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Having just arrived in SF and realising that our prebooked and paid accomadtion turned out to be a scam, we found the Vagabond Inn a few blocks over. The manager was extremely friendly and understanding. Being both students we were on a budget and we found Vagabond Inn to be great value for money. The room was cosy and clean with a beautfful sky window bathroom.
The neighborhood was close to everything as well as quiet. Complimentary continental breakfast and great customer service. I can honestly say I would recommend Vagabond to anyone visiting SF.

We truly enjoyed our time and appreciate the hospitality we received.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew G
Tania M, Manager at San Francisco Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Hi Andrew,

We truly appreciate your business and are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon! Hope you had a great trip overall.

Have a good day!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I enjoyed the hospitality and friendly treatment I received. The hotel was very close to the seminar I attended at the Concourse Exhibition Center. I received extra blankets when I asked for them. The manager of the hotel treated me with kindness and helped me when I left some of my belongings in the room. I also needed special accomodation and that was made for me. I appreciated the helpfulness of the staff and management and would go back to this hotel again in the future.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joey N

Hello Mr. Joey,

Thank you for your kind words. Please do choose to stay with us the next time you are in the city too. We really look forward to seeing you again! Hope your conference went well.

Thank you. Have a nice day!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed with a friend at the Vagabond Inn for two nights this past weekend. The price was very reasonable and the room was fine. Their continental breakfast was a bit light, but I found enough to eat. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you arrive late, you may not find a space to park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ROBERT P
Tania M, Manager at San Francisco Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Hello!

Thank you for your kind words, we are in the process of making some changes, so we hope to have a better breakfast fare soon! We have made a note of it.

We hope you will stay with us again soon!
Hope you have a good day!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The price was little high, close to some clubs and downtown,room was not bad, new manger is very nice.parking is limited at night time, you could park on the street but watch for the street cleaning sign , you do not want to get a ticket .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

If you're coming in to San Francisco for a flying visit, perhaps for a night out and need somewhere cheap and cheerful to crash, the Vagabond is a good choice; it is competitively priced and within striking distance of the hip SOMA and Mission areas of the city. It's also within easy walking distance of Market Street and the Civic Center both of which are well served by the SF Muni, making it easy to get about, even late at night.

However if you are in town for a longer stay, the Vagabond is not the best choice. The rooms in particular are in desperate need of renovation. The heater, vanity area light and TV were all out of order. The room was drafty, especially in the bathroom which had a huge single-glazed skylight. There was an ironing board in the room, but no iron to use with it! The walls and linens were a little shabby. I was only here for a quick one night stay so could easily overlook this, but it'd bother me if I was staying longer.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and on checkout the manager thanked me personally for staying with them. Service is half the battle, so based on this and the location would recommend the Vagabond if you're in town for a flying visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rumbled
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed for two nights. I didn't want to spend a lot, but wanted to be in downtown San Francisco. The Hilton it's not, but the room was clean with all the amenities I needed. Continental breakfast was okay - bowl of cereal a some yogurt and a cup of coffee and I was on my way! The manager greeted me and was very welcoming. That initial meeting made the difference for me.
No lounge, no restaurant, but a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The overall rating of "very good" is in the context of the pricey San Francisco hotel scene.
This hotel seems to be recovering from a period of neglect. The manager, who lives on site, was charming and helpful despite being clearly overworked (they were looking for additional help) and a bit stressed. I stayed here one night because the other hotel, five blocks away, that I had been staying at, jacked up its prices for my final night in SF because some big convention was coming in, and other alternative places (including one right across 9th Street from this one) were doing the same. The neighborhood of both hotels is not ideal, but I was never actually
hassled although I regularly returned around midnight. However, if you consider yourself a vulnerable person, my impression was that you might want to consider staying east of
5th Street when on foot at night after rush hour.
The exterior photo, while accurate, does not really suggest the layout. All rooms are up one or two flights of stairs; the narrow stairway opens out on the parking area but is secured by a gate (opened by room key). The rooms surround the parking area so it feels like you're around a courtyard, which in fact is open to the sky. I had a room on the "first" level (up just one flight of stairs) and in the morning I wondered if I had left the bathroom light on; it turned out that there was a skylight in the bathroom that went all the way up to the roof and sunlight was now coming through.
The room was larger than I expected and felt like a throwback to motels I used to stay in
25 years ago: heavy curtains and bedspread, a huge dresser that contained an equally huge
(not flat screen) TV. There was a full bathtub and shower, which is a big plus for me.
Pluses: No artificial rate raise for convention day; helpful staff; other guests (encountered on the stairs) seemed pleasant and were quiet; full bath; refrigerator and microwave in room; Trader Joe's right down the street; not much street noise (the parking area is perpendicular to the street); comfortable bed; edible breakfast (one option was fruit yogurt, which is just
what I wanted); gate on stairs provides security. Also, although this didn't matter to me because
I had flown to SF, parking is free.
Minuses: A few things in the room weren't working (one of two lamps by the bed; the first
outlet I tried for my computer - next thing I knew, there was a low battery warning; the bath
did not seem to have a stopper, but I carry my own). Although the room was clean overall, the grille in the heating unit looked like it had never seen any attention. Because the walkway leading to the rooms is open to the sky, you might get a surprise - when I came out in the morning, a pigeon flew off, and when I later returned to the room, there were pigeon droppings on the walkway. (This had not been true the night before, and I expect that they got cleaned up soon thereafter.)
Summary: If you want everything to be perfect, go somewhere else, and good luck. If
you don't mind adapting a bit, as if you were staying at someone's house with whatever
deficiencies it happens to have rather than at a brand-new commercial establishment,
I think you'll enjoy this place and the ability to stay in SF for well under $100 a night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo