2,084 results
All reviews van ness cable car polk street around the corner california line california st outdoor pool fisherman's wharf corner room public transport muni pass high floor day pass great view of the city union square stayed here for nights golden gate
Reviewed September 12, 2006

We were pleasantly surprised at the value relative to most of the area properties we searched. Most of the staff was quite helpful and informative (one notable exception). The hotel was quite clean and comfortable. Our only negative comment was that the hotel decor seems stuck in the 80's--needs updating. The location was convenient for picking up the cable car line as well as city buses using the MUNI Passports (great deal).

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank KEVINEAGLE
Reviewed September 4, 2006

This was our first hotel and our next door neighbours who had stayed there on a stop over assured us it was a good place to stay
Our taxi driver from the airport was concerned about the immediate area to the south but we didn't venture south of Pine Street (trip advisor advice) and we felt quite comfortable at all times. As it happened we felt really safe as our floor was swarming with police---it was a 2 day interview session for new recruits!

From our window we could see a view over the bay (well from a certain angle) which was unusually fog free (heatwave) Rooms were a reasonable size and clean and comfortable, the staff were very friendly and the breakfast buffet was very welcome The only disappoinment was the "rooftop pool" It was small ugly looked dirty and was located in a very utilitarian area

As for location there were bus stops and a cable car very close to the hotel and for two of our three days it was "Spirit of the Earth" day so all public transport was free. What timing! We also did a fair bit of walking

The eating places near the hotel were unexciting but with free transport we coild eat elsewhere. The cable car stopped in the middle of China Town for example

(Oh and we had booked our Alcatraz tickets in advance)

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank KnowAll
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I was very apprehensive regarding my stay at this hotel follwing the reviews i read before going. However i am pleased to say all the bad reviews were completely false and must be made up by some sicko.
this hotel is stunning -the staff are all very helpful and friendly.
the rooms were lovely and clean
it is in an excellent location - 10 mins walk to union square, and within easy reach of public transport (a system very easy and accesible to use)
i would def recommend staying here

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank chocs1
Reviewed August 22, 2006

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway in San Francisco. The hotel was excellent. We arrived around midnight and were exhausted after driving 14 hours. The staff were great, we were checked in and in our room within about 10 minutes of arriving. The rooms were very clean with up to date decor. The beds slept great after riding all day. There was plenty of space and our room had a refrigerator at no extra cost. Our room was on the 22nd floor and the view of the city was magnificant as well as over looking the pool. The pool, however would have been great if it had been a little warmer. Although it did not keep our 9 year old out. The cable car stop was just outside the hotel and we were always able to get on. However, the stop at Powell to change cars was not as easy. Usually the car was full by the time it reached that particular stop. Sometimes, we waited for later cars and at times grabbed a cab. We never spent more than $6-8 on the cab rides and it was worth it instead of waiting in the lines when it was cold and the kids are tired. This was a great family trip and it was made even better by all the great input from trip advisor. Parking at the hotel was great, it was $30/night, we thought a little steep, but it seemed cheaper than most. But we parked the night we arrived and did not get in the car again until the morning we left to come home. It always makes a much better vacation when the place you are using a home base is what you are expecting. This was better.
Bama4ever

5  Thank bama4ever
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My wife & I went to San Francisco in July 06 to spend our 25th and I had stayed at this hotel way back in 1976. In looking at the pictures on the Holiday Inn website, I thought "its' been updated and modernized several times since my first stay in 76"....wrong. Other than the FANTASTIC front desk man (Marvin) it just wasn't our cup of tea. The first room we were given was a handicap accessible room and the bathroom had a sink only hanging from the wall, no vanity....no place to put your cosmetics. My wife actually packs a rather LARGE bag with just hair stuff, rollers, curlers, flattners, blowers, gels, sprays, etc., etc., etc., so we went right back down and told Marv "it ain't going to work". He apologized that we had been given the room by a junior desk clerk and agreed that a week in that room won't work. The next room we got was better bathroom wise, but not much. As I sat looking around the cramped, little room I thought to myself, "this looked so much bigger in 1976 when I was a scrawny 19 year old"? Anyway, along with being a shoebox, the carpet was FILTHY and it looked like a previous guest had vomited on the side of the bed and onto the carpet. I then took out my trusty laptop and proceeded to book a room at the Hilton on Kearny St. in the Financial District. It was like night and day, our room was spacious, the carpets were spotless, the furniture and decor were out of a magazine, the bathroom was to die for! Granted our rate at the Holiday Inn was just under 225.00 US a night and the Hilton was 350.00 US a night, but it was worth EVERY penny for the seven great nights in the City by the Bay. My wife and I just won't have slept a wink at the Holiday Inn, between the disgusting carpets, the cramped space, sagging bed, ratty furniture and the A/C unit that sounded like a farm tractor running next to you....we would have come home and headed for divorce court. Hope the above helps you decide on this place. Remember first impressions are not what they appear to be...the lobby and front desk area of the hotel are great, the rooms have seen better days and the entire place needs a top to bottom re-do, end of story. If you do stay here, I hope you have the pleasure of dealing with Marvin from Oakland, behind the front desk. He's a real joy and bears a striking resemblence to George Foreman!

One other thing both the Holiday Inn and the Hilton stick you up for parking a car in their garage, the Holiday Inn was $ 32.00 per night on top of the $ 225.00 for the room. The Hilton was $ 42.00 per night on top of the 350.00 per night. Rather steep, but hey if you're in San Francisco your in one of the world's best cities and you pay for the best I guess.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple