“Good value and nice views”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway
Ranked #76 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good value and nice views”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Got a good price for a weekend stay including breakfast. Check-in was quick, although the reception area was always crammed with people. Got a renovated room on the 25th floor with nice views to the west. The room was a bit small, had two queen beds, a long desk along the panoramic windows, flatscreen tv, old noisy AC and a fridge. Bathroom felt a bit old, but everything was very clean.

Reception and common areas are a bit outdated. Buffet breakfast was served in a convention-hall, plenty to choose from and big variety of hot foods - scrambed eggs, pancakes, sausage etc. Pleasant and personal service.

Parking is a robbery at $40 a night! There are a couple of garages in the surrounding area where you can park for $10-15 all day. Night-time street parking is free and we had no problems finding a spot close to the hotel.

The hotel is conveniently located right next to the end of the California tram line and within walking distance to Noob hill.

Room Tip: High floor, renovated room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank halvklart
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
I’m glad you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms, and how well Housekeeping is caring for them. The reception, restaurant, and common areas will be just as nice in a few short weeks. We couldn’t be more excited about our renovation and the reaction we’re getting from guests. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Really great place to stay. Front desk was always friendly and helpful especially when we had a late checkout on our day of departure. Pool was a bonus on really hot days too.
The location is really good despite being someway from the major attractions. We got the citywide bus, tram, cable car pass for $30 which was for 7 days. We caught the cable cars every day and the no. 47 bus outside the hotel takes you to either Fishermans Wharf at one end or to the AT&T Stadium at the other end.

Room Tip: Try to get higher up. If you absolutely want a sea view then book the corner suites but every room s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Front Desk service is integral to the overall success of a hotel. Thank you for mentioning how well they served you on your visit. I’m happy that you are also sharing so many great travel tips with other potential guests. We hope to see you again soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Checked in late afternoon on Fri 2 Msy 2014. Had read the positive reviews on TripAdvisor about how great the customer service is.
But upon first hand experience I must say I got the complete opposite customer service.
We checked in as part of a tour group. After almost 4 weeks on separate tours and staying at many fine hotels...I found the customer service here THE WORSE!!!
After finding out room on the 9th floor we found that we only had one glass. Also we were not advised of the free wifi password. I also needed some help with transpirt iptions in San Fran as this is my first time in this city.
As I had yhese 3 matters to attend to. I went back down to reception (@ approx 5.15pm). I was "assisted" by an asian lady who seemed very disinterested and quite dismissive. I asked for the extra glass first and she was quite rude about this. I then asked about the wifi and she was again assisted with a begrudging manner. As for my 3rd request about some info on transport...this must have put her over the edge as she practically shooed me away from the countet advibsing me "I can't help you with that" and that I had to go to the concierge abd pointed me to that direction and turned her back to me (a sign of get lost).
I then went to the concierge as I was directed and he too seemed annoyed that I dared to ask him for assistance. I asked him for assistance on how best to get to the farmers market. I was advised the costly option of the cable car and given a map and pretty much shooed out. I then asked him "are you having a bad day" in reference to his attitude!!!
To top it off...after returning up back to my room, my roommste advised we are one towel short. Do I rang the housekeeping number as I was too tired to go bacj down to reception.
The phone call continued the pattern of poor customer service. The lady who picked up was very abrupt. I asked for the extra towel and also mentioned again the missing glass (as I wasn't confident about the girl in reception). Housekeeping then started to argue that there are glasses in the room. That there are 2 next to the ice bucket. So she presumed that I hadn't had a good look prior to calling. I advised her one glass and next to it a plastic lid. She then advised me that she'll have someone bring up the glass and towel. I then asked how long it would take as we were planninv to go out to dinner soon. The answer was one of annoyance and that it depends on how long ut takes via lift.
I'm so veyond disappointed by the customer service but the saving grace wax that within 5 mins a lovely mature gentlemen bought up the glasses and towel.
So lesson is that if you need anything you will be treated as an annoyance. Just book, pay, check in and shut up. Thankyou Holiday Inn Golden Gate fir such a lesson!!!
Hopefully the next 2 nights will be less eventful!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Clearly the initial impression of our hotel is poor. This gives us many issues to address. I will also make sure the Houseman hears about his excellent service. Since your review was written with a few nights left in your stay, I would be most interested in hearing about the reminder of your visit.
Temecula, California, USA
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Check in was a breeze. Room was clean and very comfortable as well as had a great view. Only had one minor problem, bath tub was clogged. However, as soon as we called a tech came out and quickly fixed that. Thanks!

Front desk was very polite, cleaning ladies very sweet and on top of things.

Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for such a kind review. It’s especially exciting to hear about prompt and courteous service from multiple departments. We would love to welcome you back.
ontario
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed for 9 days and found the location perfectly situated for sight seeing and shopping. Staff were very good and very helpful when asked for directions or resturant locations. The on site cafe marlette we found to be very good and the staff were exceptional. The rooms were clean and comfortable and housekeeping staff did an exceptional job. We found the street behind the hotel "Polk Street" to be the place to find resurants of all types. For local groceries go to the Golden Veggie Market on polk just behind the hotel. Cable car stop is next to the hotel on California street. We also found the concierge/gift shop to be very helpfull when buying tickets or passes.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor if possible, we were on the 19th but still heard the sirens all night.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
You mentioned so many great elements of our hotel that I hardly know where to begin. Thank you! Besides the location and nearby restaurants, I am truly thrilled that you were taken care of by so many of our staff. We look forward to taking such good care of you again in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Clean and comfortable rooms. Located right on the famous cable car line. Staff was kind and helpful. Room service was delivered promptly and was quite tasty as well. Bottom line...it's clean, in a good location, and has good rates. Would recommend. Ask for a room on the higher floors for a good view of the city.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Clean rooms make a big difference. I’m happy that Housekeeping made you feel comfortable and the rates were just right. Value, cleanliness, and friendly staff, what more could you ask for?!
Yorkshire
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The rooms are lovely, and the location quite handy as it is by a cable-car stop and within walking distance of downtown. The disappointing parts are the swimming pool - tiny, and on a cold breezy terrace on the 6th floor, and the gym - again, tiny, in a dingy basement room, with a few bits of ancient equipment and very little ventilation. The restaurant is currently being refurbished, so meals were served in a conference room which resembled a staff canteen - not exactly the atmosphere you want when you are on holiday in what is supposed to be a dream location......

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room near the lifts - you can hear them through the walls.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
You would be right that our pool is not Olympic sized, however it is kept at 82 degrees on a deck overlooking the city. Fortunately, the new fitness room is opening in mid-May. It will open onto the pool deck and will include all new equipment in a substantial space. The restaurant should follow suit a month later. I wish that you had enjoyed your experience. Hopefully you will find our renovations to your liking on another visit.