“The City of the Cable Cars”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway
Ranked #75 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed for a couple nights en route to London. Just for business so did not do the Tourist thing. Check in was efficient. Staff very friendly. Not too much expected being a family hotel. The place is a little tired but very clean. Rooms quite big compared with other Holiday Inns I have stayed in.
Buffet breakfast not up to much but this could have been because there appaired to be renovations going on. I would stay again as it is central to where I have to be in San Francisco.
It is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for mentioning two of the big factors in a positive hotel experience; friendly staff and good value. We look forward to your return trip.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed in the Holiday Inn for one night. The bedding is great but the room I stayed in could use some updates (heater and curtains aren't that nice).

The Staff were great! They gave me early check-in which was awesome. Next, I returned to my room around 11pm, I was right beside the elevator (try not to book there) and when I complained about the noise they let me move. The Staff were all super super pleasant and friendly at every encounter, really great service.

Bedding is great, it's nice how they give you the optional of hard or soft pillows.

Location was good. It's not that close, but if you're a runner, you can run all the way down to the Golden Gate bridge (about 15 km round trip). Union Square is maybe 20 minutes walking. It's not the most central hotel, but for the price, it's great.

I started in a room on the 9th floor and there was no ipod dock. My room on the 12th floor did have a dock.

Room Tip: Get a floor that is 12th floor or above.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

It's always fantastic to hear about quality service. I'm happy to hear that the Front Desk helped you with an early check-in and changed your room during your stay. You'll be happy to hear that we are replacing all of our A/C units. Next time you stay with us, look for the roll down blackout shade behind the linen curtains. They will block out almost every bit of light! Thank you.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Hotel is located at the end of the tram line which is very convenient for getting downtown and other connecting trams/transportation. easy to find from the airport. Parking was expensive but is anywhere in SF, if you dont mind a short walk ask for off site parking this will save a few dollars if you on a budget. The rooms are dated and are in need of some updating, typical 60's-70's size rooms. The bed was ok however the pillows were comprable to hospital pillows basically non existant. we did like the limited elevator access swipe card only access (dont forget it if you go out). Pricey, other hotels we looked into while in SF for the same pricing had better rooms. Easy access to many places to eat within a short walk if you dont mind a few hills.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Gavin W,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was a pretty nice and clean holiday inn. It was nothing special in my opinion beyond the normal Holiday Inn experience. But, it was consistent with my experience of other Holiday Inns. Which is to say that the room was appropriately furnished, comfortable, and clean. I liked the more centralized location from other Hotels I have stayed at in San Fran but it depends on where you are heading. I was heading to the Moscone center.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank crash1204

I agree that this is a central location to so many of the attractions in SF. Like you did, we have quite a few guests staying with us this week who are attending a convention at the Moscone Center. Thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was our second city for our USA honeymoon trip. It is a lovely city, and I love the Golden State Warriors.

The hotel was quite close to everything (resturants, groccery shopping, transport, gas station). Not all staff at the front desk are nice (especially the eldly Asian lady at the front desk, she was horrible). It was our honeymoon trip, so the hotel actually gave us a huge room. However, it was so close to the elevator that you couldn't sleep at all at night time. The next day we ask for a quiter room, it was done within seconds (EXCELLENT SERVICE MANAGER).

On the second last day of the stay "Ru Paster" the front office manager actually gave us complimentary platter with champgne as part of saying thanks for choosing them as part of our honeymoon. I got to say, the only hotel that actually did something for our 33 days USA honeymoon trip!! EXCELLENT again...

The only cons side of this hotel is most of the front counter staff are the wrost one out of all the hotels that I stayed.

Room Tip: Rooms are actually quite large Free Wi-Fi
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

He might just be the best manager in the city, if I do say so myself! It was an honor to help make your honeymoon just a little bit more special. Hopefully, this type of event doesn't come around too often so it's worth a celebration! Thank you.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Had 3 nights in a corner room on 22nd floor. Amazing views watching Alcatraz with the sun setting and rising. Good room facilities including safe and fridge. Enjoyed the local restaurants, free wifi and location. Clean and a lovely ending to our stay in San Fran.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 30Trish
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

We sure appreciate your comments here. You are right out the local restaurants. Polk Street gives us so many great choices within walking distance. Please choose our hotel again on your next visit. Thank you.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here on a tour with 45 other people and we all liked it a lot.

PROS:
- Close to restaurants, public transport.
- Lovely staff and very, very helpful.
- Clean rooms with comfortable beds.

CONS:
- They only had one 1 washing machine and 1 dryer which made it quite difficult to wash clothes when your sharing with the rest of the hotel.
- They only supplied us with one room key for each room which made it difficult and inconvenient.
- You could only order room service from 5pm-10pm (around there) which was a bit annoying when wanting a midnight snack and room service not being open.

I would definitely stay here again when I come back to San Francisco. I recommend getting a room from the 9th floor up to get a better view. (The rooms start from level 5)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms make such a big difference. I'm a little surprised with the key issue. We can make as many keys as you need and should have provided 2 upon checkin. I will be sure to follow up on this. Thank you.