2,096 results
All reviews van ness cable car polk street around the corner california line california st outdoor pool corner room fisherman's wharf public transport muni pass high floor great view of the city union square stayed here for nights golden gate mini fridge
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is our favorite place to stay in SF. It is centrally located - right near a cable car line. Parking on site with in/out privileges ($40 night). I would advise this if you have a vehicle, for street parking is scarce in this area. The rooms are all recently redone with new colors, new beds and furnishings. Very nice! Try to get a room on the "Bay Side." The view is better, although the rooms on the "City Side" overlook more of the city. Corner rooms, although a bit more pricey, are worth it if you want a good view.

Room tip: Ask for a corner room on the "Bay side" for the best view of the bay. A corner room on the "City side" is also good. Get a room away from the elevators if you want more quietness. Higher floors have less traffic noise.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

It's very kind of you to share your great experience with others. We would be honored to have you stay with us again. Thank you.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in late May 2013 as part of a coach tour. Our room was on the 15th floor with great views over the city, and two very comfortable queen size beds with a choice of pillows. The last time we were in San Francisco we stayed on Fisherman's Wharf and I much preferred staying at the Golden Gateway as most of the city was in walking distance (if you are reasonably fit as the city is very hilly!). We also bought a 3 day Muni pass in the hotel gift shop for $22 which gave us unlimited use of buses, streetcars and cable cars, and I recommend this as the California street cable car stop is just round the corner from the hotel and as single journeys are $6 whatever the distance you only need a couple of return journeys to be in credit. There are lots of restaurants and coffee shops in easy walking distance, and a superb Wholefoods market across the road for milk, snacks etc. The room had a fridge and safe which were very useful. Hotel staff very friendly and everything was very clean. We didn't use the bar, restaurant or pool but others on our tour said they were of a high standard. If we are lucky enough to return to San Francisco in the future we would stay at the Golden Gateway again with no hesitation.

Date of stay: May 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank GOJStockport_England
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with the staff. They always enjoy hearing when all of the hard work pays off. We would welcome you back here anytime.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The hotel is a little out of town, but there is a bus stop for the No 47 right outside and the California Street cable car is just 2 minutes away - ideal for access to the seafront. The staff were very friendly and quickly fixed the problem with our bath plug. The rooms are pretty standard for a HI and were clean and fresh. We were on the 17th floor, so no problems at all with noise.There is also a large supermarket (organic foods) across the street and a short walk up California Street. The bar is quite large and had a range of beers and wines, which were a little expensive. No-one seemed to use the restaurant except for breakfast, but there is a large variety of bars and restaurants along Polk Street. Overall this hotel is fine, without being exceptional.

Room tip: The higher floors are quieter.
Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

It’s great to hear that the staff responded quickly to your needs. Thank you for staying with us. I agree that the buses and cable cars make it easy to get around.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was told that I would be able to park at the hotel and check in early. I arrived at 8am and the parking lot was full. I was told to find parking in the street. Keep in mind they charge $45 a night to park. Then I was told that my room would not be ready till 3:30pm. Also, I asked if I could get wifi in the lobby to do work on my laptop. The front desk said not until I check in will they give the code. So, I had no room, no parking and no wifi. I will never stay at this property again.

Date of stay: June 2013
1  Thank Jimmyjoe13
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

It certainly sounds like the communication was less than perfect. Since check-in doesn't begin until after 3pm, our staff could have done a better job of advising you on the chances of an early room. I would have certainly made room in our garage for a hotel guest, and I am sorry we did not have an opportunity to address these issues together. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was reasonably close to The Fillmore music venue, which was the whole reason I was back in SF.

The staff were very friendly and helpful when checking me in. They provided me with a list of local restaurants, walking distance which was very helpful!

The room was a bit cramped, but comfortable enough for two people. I had to laugh because when you turned the TV on they offered Nintendo 64 games, which took me back to my childhood (20 years ago!!)

There was an on-site laundry room which I always find helpful! And I believe they were doing renovations but it didn't disturb me at all.

It also had a nice view. Nothing fancy, just a typical San Fransisco view, but I thought it was neat.

• Trip type: Traveled solo

It sounds like a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing the memories with us. I trust the Fillmore concert was also great!