2,084 results
All reviews van ness cable car polk street around the corner california line california st outdoor pool fisherman's wharf corner room public transport muni pass high floor day pass great view of the city union square stayed here for nights golden gate
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This morning we checked out. My friend's legs are covered with bed bug bites. I picked up someone's old knee high hose & old peanuts from carpet. Air conditioner was mildewed. Decor from the 80's. electricity didn't work in half the room. Yuk!

• Stayed: May 2013
9  Thank KatheyW
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

I am not happy to hear about the condition of your room. We work too hard and care too much to allow this to happen. I truly hope the staff was informed before you checked out so we could address the problem. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

The hotel doesn't look attractive at street level, but that doesn't matter.
The reception area isn't very attractive- but that didn't bother me.
The hotel is located at the end of the cable car line so it is easy to get to the city centre.
Each time i went to my room i looked out over the city and siad to myself that I am happy to be in San Francisco.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

We are certainly happy that you chose our hotel. As good fortune has it, our facade and lobby will be renovated in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed 3 weeks here for work. I picked the Holiday Inn because I needed to be able to stay in a safe area where I could easily catch a bus to and from where I would be working. Location is perfect for public transportation. Right next to bus stop for Fisherman's Wharf and a 3 block walk for bus to Union Square. Starbucks right next door. Ruth's Chris across the street. Cable car next door. Buy muni pass right in hotel and book airport shuttle there too. I had a room that was not remodeled and it was very nice and I'm picky! It was nice and clean. It was behind the elevator and the noise never bothered me. It's a very safe hotel and you do need to use your key in the elevator. Food in the bar/restaurant was ok. Not many restaurants in the area. Service at the bar was excellent. Only one washer and dryer which made laundry a little difficult but the average traveler probably doesn't even need. I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in San Fran. Download the muni app for easy to use bus routes!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jill S
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for such a thorough review. It's great to have someone who has stayed so long to give great insight. The restaurant and gift shop will be happy to hear that you enjoyed their service. Please come back and see us.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

After searching for over a month for a decent place to stay for 5 days, at a decent price in SF, I ended up booking at the Holliday inn, not being quite convinced. It was about $130 a night, without breakfast or parking. Every other similar place near union square was around $200, and some were even more “classic” (old and tired) so I wouldn´t risk ending up in a moldy shoebox for that price. Trust me, I did a thorough search, and I couldn´t find a better choice for $130 including internet.
Location and setting: The place is rather old, quite a walk from Union Square (mind the hills), but with plenty of bus stops around. It’s a very tall building compared to the rest of surrounding building, so if you are lucky you´ll end up in a room with a clear view of SF as I did. Right on the corner you can take the Cable Car running along California heading to downtown. San Francisco is known for having plenty of homeless all around, so I would say there were plenty of panhandlers around the hotel, like any other place, but I never felt at risk. I avoided civic center and the rougher areas as advised by almost everyone.
The room was just OK, as the rest of the hotel, clean and OK. For $130 you should have a lot more, but San Francisco is really expensive.
Parking around SF is a nightmare and expensive; you could find a meter in your shower! The hotel offers parking for $35 a night, a real rip off, taking advantage of the fact that there isn’t any place to park for free, not a single spot, in a 5 block radio. There were some public parking nearby, but I ended up leaving my rental on the streets, and moving it before 9 AM. There are plenty of homeless guys around, buy I didn’t worry about them breaking into my car.
The hotel has a Bar and a restaurant which we didn’t try, so no reviews about them. I can tell you that we tried to have dinner at 10PM with no luck (Living in Argentina, it is a very common dinner time for weekends). The kitchen was already closed.
TIP for SF: Get the MUNI pass for you entire stay; you will save a lot of money. Public transport is a breeze with plenty of buses, cable cars, metro trains, everything running smooth. Each cable car ride (a must in SF) is $6 per person!!! Not worth it, mainly because you only use them for short distances. With the MUNI Pass you´ll have free unlimited rides.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I agree that we often offer the best deal, especially for a full-service hotel. Your recommendation about the Muni pass is also a good one. We would love to have you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night to attend a concert at Warfield, usually I preferred to stay in the Union Square area but there was a conference during that weekend so most places were sold out or ridiculously expensive... paid about $200 for the night which is average for San Francisco on the weekend. Overall it was a nice place to crash for the night in the city, if all you need is a bed and a bathroom! The ONLY complaint i have is the room lacks a SAFE... but it was clean, and comfortable, also the front desk lady informed us the meters are running on Sunday's, which didn't use to happen so that was good to know!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank An0nym0us88
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

I am happy that you were taken care of during your stay. You will be happy to hear that besides the secure safe deposit boxes we have had at the Front Desk, we are now adding safes in each room. Please come back and see us. Thank you for your comments.