“not perfect, but okay”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway
Ranked #77 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway is not that expensive, the rooms are clean - but antiquated concerning the interior decoration - the breakfast is okay (there's a little buffet with fruits, toast, marmelade and sweets and you can have your coffee, tee or orange juice.).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnjaLuisa
David K, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

It was reassuring to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. You have many hotels to choose from, so we work hard in hopes that the price, service, and amenities create a special memory for you. Thank you for the feedback.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights to attend The Edwardian Ball. We decided on this hotel because it was a block away from the event and offered an affordable nightly rate. Because of the hotel's location, right on Van Ness Avenue, I was expecting and prepared to see a bit dingy kind of a hotel, but I was so WRONG! We got a corner room on the 9th floor that had wide windows the covered two whole walls. We had a panoramic view of San Francisco, where we got to watch a glimpse of the cable car going by down below. The room was clean with all the amenities, including a great dresser. The house keeping staff was friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who visits San Francisco.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the corner rooms on higher floors.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annabelle3
David K, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

It is reassuring to hear that you enjoyed the location and cleanliness of the rooms. Those are important factors when choosing a hotel. We enjoyed having guests who were attending the ball. You truly went all out when it came to getting dressed up. Fantastic!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I manage a 4.5 star hotel so i can be quite picky when it comes to accomodation. Right from check in, everyone was lovely! Without even asking, the lady at the desk greeted me with a genuine smile. Noticing i was an overseas traveller, travelling on my own she straight away up graded me to a higher floor so i had a view and also gave me a larger room, as they had some available. I was given all the info on the local area and good breif of my bearings around the hotel.
My room was lovely, as eveything was clean comfortable and spacious and then heating was perfect. great size room and bathroom. The ipod dock didnt work, but I honestly didnt care.
I was in san Fran for 3 days and wasnt at the hotel much, but each time i came in and out I was greeted again by different staff members, all with a smile and happy to help. They have self serve laundry on site which was helpful, especially when travelling for a while.
The lady at the bar was lovely as well. The bar was a little dated but i wouldnt expect too much from hotel lobby bars.
On my last day, the service again was fantastic on check out. In the 3 days I was there i would have spoken to at least a dozen different staff members and they are all fantastic. Its a credit to the management there.
This was the forst time I have stayed at a Holiday Inn and would now be happy to stay again while travelling

Room Tip: definately recommend.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Your feedback will be shared with our entire staff. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your visit will be remembered. We would be honored to welcome you back as a guest again in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Front desk only tells you what they want to tell you. They don't listen. Parking gate never opened. Had to have an engineer come out twice to let me in. Maid service is pushy and didn't want to come back to make up room when my wife was in bed sick. Ice machine did not work on our floor. The only good thing about this hotel is the view. It's still living in the 60's.

• Stayed: January 2013
David K, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Service issues concern me greatly, and your Housekeeping experience was no exception. I intend to find out how this could have happened and make appropriate changes. Your comments regarding the Front Desk service has me especially worried. We have an experienced team and they can do so much better. I hope that we will have the opportunity to earn a better review next time. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days for a conference. The room is clean and comfortable but the setup is a bit strange with the bathroom at the far end of the room from the front door. The lobby has very limited sitting space so I had to take a meeting to the Starbucks next door. Lots of dining options within walking distance. Staff was professional and attentive although the lady at check-in seemed a bit confused/ Overall a good experience. There is a doorman who helped us get a taxi whenever needed which is helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Your comments are very helpful. We are addressing the lobby layout and seating availability to provide a better experience. It makes us happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week while attending a conference in December. When I first checked in I was put in a room which directly backed on to the lifts. After 10mins in the room I was straight back down to reception to ask to be moved as the noise from the lifts in the room was horrendous! The lady on reception was lovely and moved me straight away - telling me it was a common complaint with those rooms! My 2nd room was very spacious and clean - expect for 2 cigarette buts under the table! But the bathroom and shower were small given the size of the room. Overall I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The staff were all very friendly. I would avoid breakfast though - the buffet is expensive and not great quality.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Sarah P

Your comments are very helpful. It makes me happy that you enjoyed your stay. We are addressing the restaurant quality and room condition issues to provide a more memorable experience. Thank you.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for under $100 when all downtown rooms had prices of $250 and up. Many 3-4* hotels closer to Union Square were $300 or more. In light of that, the HIGG was an absolute bargain.

I was on a high floor which had a great view. On another stay, I was facing downtown, so that view was better. But this one had a peek at the Golden Gate, so still good. Room and bathroom were nice, B&BW toiletries were very nice. The room was clean, well decorated and the bathrooms had granite counters, so it seemed upgraded to me. in-room coffee was better than usual. Appreciated the convenience of a fridge.

The fitness room was ok. I wanted to swim laps in the pool early one day but the gate was locked, so I had to call the front desk. They showed up promptly, so no big deal. Liked the convenience of the California cable car, as I needed to be downtown on Union Square.

All in all, a fine stay, especially at a good price. Recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for high floor facing downtown. You'll love the view, night or day.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mooth

Your comments mean a great deal to us. Thank you for sharing your experience. The cable car and proximity to Fisherman's Wharf, Downtown, and the Golden Gate Bridge make this an ideal location. We're happy to hear that your request for pool access was quickly resolved. The staff will be excited to hear that you enjoyed your visit.