We stayed in a room small by American standards, with one king bed, the bed was wider than it was long and took up most of the room! The bath/shower room was separate from the main room but there was no fan in there to extract any steam.
There was a good range of facilities including a coffee-maker (in the wardrobe), fridge, toiletries, iron and ironing board and free wifi (ask reception for the access code, although the internet speed is a bit slow). Reception staff were quick and helpful, just ask if you need teabags!
We bought day travel tickets at the shop which opens at 7a.m. You must pay cash for these. Tell them straightaway if you are buying in advance as the helpful lady immediately started scratching the card for that day (which we did in fact need!). By the bus stop at the bed shop, turning right out of the hotel and across that road you can reach Fisherman’s Wharf (for Alcatraz tours change at the end of the line to Tram F, or walk fifteen minutes, to Pier 33). Cross to the opposite side of the road from the hotel's reception, slightly left, to travel towards the Civic Centre/Union Square by bus number 47.
We were told to avoid the Tenderloin District near the hotel at night (homeless, drug dealers, etc). China Town is within walking distance, although a better option may be to take the California Street Cable Car line ($6 for a single trip or $14 for a one-day pass covering all local public transport): be warned that if you plan to walk it is exceedingly hilly and will take longer than a map suggests (we walked to China Town at night and it was perfectly safe, although it was dark).
Make sure you visit the “crookedest street” Lombard Street, stand on the corner of Lombard and Hyde and watch the cars wind their way down!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a video tour.The Holiday Inn Hotel San Francisco Golden Gateway is located in the center of San Francisco, just steps away from the historic California Cable Car turnaround. Located in lower Nob Hill, the Holiday Inn Hotel San Francisco Golden Gateway is near all major attractions: Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf , a few blocks from Union Square and Chinatown, and the hotel is less than 10 minutes from Moscone Convention Center and a couple blocks north of City Hall/Civic Center. The 26-story, 499 room Holiday Inn Hotel San Francisco Golden Gateway offers fantastic city and bay views. Our tastefully appointed guest rooms begin on the 6th floor of the hotel and all offer flat panel TVs and free wireless Internet access. Cafe' Marlette offers a daily buffet breakfast for quick and easy service, as well as a delicious a la carte menu. Interlude Bar & Grill is a casual bistro and sports bar, with pool tables, and large screen TVs. The Holiday Inn Hotel San Francisco Golden Gateway is the perfect location for business or pleasure in thecity by the bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, IHG, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn