We had stayed here 3 times before and decided to stay here again as the location was fantastic and we had good experiences with the hotel.
This stay was not to be as enjoyable as previous stays! We booked this stay some time ago with Virgin Holidays and were relay excited to be back in San Francisco again!
On arriving we checked in. The Holiday Inn is spread across 2
buildings, a block apart. A main building and their 2nd building on
Beach Street. We were checked into a double room in the other building.
We asked if we could stay in the main building and said that we would
prefer a King Size bed as we were on an anniversary trip. The manager advised us that this was not possible but the room he had allocated us was a lovely room and we should not be disappointed. He said that all their Virgin Holidays customers were always put up in the 2nd building (which was strange as we had always booked with Virgin and had always stayed in the main building!). He advised that we would need to go to the other building and showed us on a map where it was and where the room was.
There was no offer of a bell, and the bell men merely just watched us as we dragged our 2 oversized cases, cabin luggage and rucksack across the 1 block hike to the other hotel.
We arrived at our room and opened our curtains to find that we were
looking out at a brick wall and we were above the dumpsters and service entry. We were so angry at this having been told that our room would be 'lovely' we went straight downstairs to talk to someone at reception.
The reception in the second building was closed (this was approx 3pm ~ normal check in time) and there was no concierge on duty either. We had to walk over to the main building to actually speak with someone!
We got to the main building and spoke with another desk staff employee.
We advised them of how dissatisfied we were with our room and that we
wanted to change. He advised that he would not be able to change us as there were no rooms available as yet. We asked if any were likely to come available and he was unable to answer as they were unable to view all the rooms! After a few moments he said he had located one in the main building and it was a much better room. He said we would need to move from the other building. Again no offer of a bell or even when we walked past the bell (Bear in mind they were VERY busy in conversation with each other!).
So we returned to the 2nd building and got all our luggage together and dragged it all back to the Main building and found our new room. Our new dark room! We were looking straight out at a brick wall and still no king size bed as requested!
Back to the reception desk again where we spoke with the most venomous woman I have had the displeasure of dealing with! We explained that we were unhappy with the rooms we had been given and wanted a new room. To this we were patronised and spoken down to. She said that we should never have been moved to the main building as it was not policy to have Virgin holiday customers in the main building ~ they are all put up in the 2nd building. We explained that we did not want to stay in the 2nd building and would prefer the main building. We also explained that we had previously booked with Virgin and had always stayed in the main building. This woman then made out that we were lying and said there was nothing much that she could do. Bear in mind that while all this is going on she is wearing a badge that says 'It's all about YOU'!! What a joke.
After some time she starts looking at rooms muttering 'If you weren't
happy with that then you won't be happy with this one'. In less that 10 minutes this woman had gotten to know us so well that she knew what me and my husband would like! She tried to move us back to our original room (the one overlooking the dumpster) to which we refused and she finally found us a room in the main building. Again we had to move your own luggage to a room that was one floor higher than our previous room and overlooked the same brick wall!
At this point we were exhausted from our transatlantic flight and the
luggage moving we had been doing! We decided to settle as it appeared that Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf was no longer 'All About YOU!'
After the worst night sleep ever (the room was over the garbage and
service entry on the main building) we decided to try the reception desk one last try to see if any rooms had become vacant during the morning.
We spoke to a FANTASTIC lady (Remi) who was very sympathetic to our
needs and searched out a room for us. She found one which was still
being cleaned but put a rush on it for us. Everything that the previous days staff said wasn't possible was suddenly very possible! We were in our new room within the hour! Remi also offered to have our luggage moved for us ~ something that we hadn't been offered before either!
Our new room was great ~ Remi had upgraded us to the 5th floor (the only real difference in the actual room is you get a microwave). But we were high enough up not to hear any of the service lorry noises and we actually had a view of the city!
We went along to our 'Virgin holidays Rep' meeting and spoke with other holiday travellers there. And what a surprise, most of these were in the main building. So this so called policy of putting Virgin Customers in the 2nd building seems a bit suspect to me.
Our stay was fantastic after Remi sorted things out for us. We nearly cancelled our stay and moved across the street due to the previous nights farce at reception!
If you are a Virgin Holidays customer, and are staying for 4nights or
more, make sure you attend the welcome meeting and get your FREE Bay
Cruise (worth $21 dollars each). The Virgin rep does not like to give these out unless he is pressed!
Would I stay here again - No! One bad experience at check in has ruined 5 years good work by this hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For business travel or San Francisco, California vacations, Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman s Wharf hotel welcomes you to the Bay City. When searching for top San Francisco hotels near Fisherman s Wharf, stay in comfort at our full-service San Francisco lodging. Walk to attractions including Pier 39, Alcatraz, Bay Cruise ferries and Ghirardelli Square. Hop on a cable car outside our hotel to visit Union Square, Financial District, Moscone Convention Center, Chinatown and AT&T Ballpark. After exploring the area, retreat to our San Francisco, California hotel to unwind in a room appointed with high-speed Internet access, in-room games and pay-per-view movies. For dining, enjoy a meal at the 24-hour Denny s or head to our Bristol Bar & Grill for a tantalizing meal and a drink. Additional on-site amenities include: laundry facilities, fitness center, an outdoor heated pool with sundeck and secure parking is available for $43 per day. Reserve your stay at our hotel in San Francisco, CA to be greeted with attentive service and superb accommodations in an unmatched locale. For spectacular savings, book a San Francisco travel package or hotel deal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn