“Close to the sites”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Alaska
“Close to the sites”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Booked this hotel through Hotwire. Was excited about all of the good reviews. Overall the hotel was a very good one. I was not happy with the 45 dollar car parking fee. Researching other hotels, I found that they charged around 30 - 35 dollars. The rooms were clean and the beds where very comfortable. I enjoyed using the free Internet. I wasn't to happy with the noise that came from the street. It seemed as though many of the delivery trucks delivered around 11- 12 p.m. Close to the sites and down the street was a great breakfast place. They claim to have the best waffles in the country.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I've stayed at The Fisherman's Wharf Holiday Inn 4 times now and i'd rate it as one of the best Holiday Inns i've used. The hotel is located at the Fisherman's Wharf end of Columbus Avenue in San Francisco's North Beach area. The Wharf itself is a few hundred yards away but the main appeal for me is the North Beach area itself, restaurants, bars and a great atmosphere. I've always been upgraded to the business Level at the hotel, the rooms are large, airy, well furnished and clean. Service is excellent, the reception staff are helpful and friendly. I can recommend this hotel both for quality and location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clembo1957
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Having stayed in several Holiday Inns in the UK I was slightly wary of booking one for my holiday.
However, I was pleasantly surprised by the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf. On arrival (after an 11 hour flight) the staff were quick to check me in, give me directions to the room and tell me a bit about the local area - as this was my first visit to San Francisco, this was most welcome.
I was staying in the Beach Builing which is just around the corner from the main reception.
The location was excellent - just a block away from the main "strip" of Fisherman's Wharf - where all the restaurants are. From my hotel window I could see Alcatraz. It is also only a couple of blocks away from Bay Street tramstation which takes you into the heart of San Francisco City Centre.
It is also within walking distance of the piers with shopping and trips to Alcatraz (BEWARE: Book trips to Alcatraz in advance - we turned up on the day expecting to be able to go but were told there were no tickets left. We very nearly didn't make it over to the Island. Definately a "must-see" so be prepared!)
The room also came with some tourist guides to San Fran - where to eat, where to shop, transport, sightseeing etc etc which was very useful. It was also a nice big room - a double bed each and plenty of space for me to spread all my clothes and stuff everywhere!
There was maid service every day with clean towels and bed linen.
During my stay in America I travelled to LA and Las Vegas as well as San Francisco and the Holiday Inn was not my favourite hotel of my trip but was perfect for my 4 day stop over in San Fran as it was close to everything, had helpful staff and was comfortable. Definately much better than the Holiday Inn's I've stayed visited in England.
Got my holiday off the a good start!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank back2reality18
new jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2009

booked through hotwire, the room was spacious and clean, hotel staff was excellent the only minus is the 40 dollar a day parking fee, i will definately stay here again when returning to fishermans wharf

1 Thank sjtjr
SoCal
Reviewed July 17, 2009

The hotel is well situated and I'd concur with most of the great reviews it has received. Having travelled on business most of my life, imagine my disappointment to be placed in a room with mold prominently visible around the bathtub and with gum on the carpet under the desk.

If you do stay here, avoid room 229 or ask to inspect the room before you move in.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

WALES,UK
Reviewed July 16, 2009

This was our first stop on a world tour and we could not have picked a better location to start. We were given a room on the 5th floor in the annex building just a block away from the main hotel. The room was very spacous with two very comfortable queen beds, coffee/tea making facilities with plenty of top up's and a nice size bathroom. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to my best of friends.

The location could not be faulted, across the street was Walgreens for all your nibbles, drinks and sandwiches. Hi hop restaraunt is a 5 minute walk away with a very good selection of breakfast and main meals. Just around the corner which was pleasing for us was the Brickyard pub where you can have a nice pint of Strongbow cider!!!

Attractions we done and are highly recommended are Alcatraz and the combo City Tour, Helicopter ride over and under the Golden Gate bridge ( a must ) and over the streets of San Francisco and of course the cable car ride up Knob Hill and into the city. Take my advice and have a stroll back ( about one hour ) and go through China Town etc you won't be disappointed.

Finally don't forget 10 minutes from the hotel is one of the main sights of San Francisco and a stroll around Pier 39 with it's legendary seal lions and various stalls and shops etc. All in all this was a wonderful start to our world tour and the hotel and city made it a very memorable stay!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank REGGIETOURS
Venice, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2009

VERY nice Holiday Inn...Soooo close to everything ! We stayed in the annex building and were a SHORT walk to Fishermans Wharf and its excitment!! We were there for the weekend of the 4th!! Fireworks on the bay!! FABULOUS!!
Close walk to the trolley turnaround and pickup! MANY restuarants nearby and you can do Denny's in the annex building if you are just to exhausted to stroll out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family